Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: How about Hughton?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question How about Hughton?

I notice Chris Hughtons name has not been mentioned as a replacement for Kerr. Hughton has worked under Charlton, McCarthy and Kerr so should have gleaned a lot from them. He has also worked under several experienced managers at Spurs. As a former international he understands things from the players point of view and is liked and respected by them. I think he would bring a young fresh approach to the game, combining new ideas with the inate virtues of what is part of the Irish game. Any thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Proven Coach but im not sure if risking him as a manager would be a good idea. I watch him training the lads out in Malahide sometimes and he normally conducts the set pieces and skill, passing training etc which from watching Ireland play doesnt seem to be working.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

How about Hughton?

How about no?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    There's no vacancy
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Cut & pasted from another thread this morning:

Has Hughton emerged from the Kerr era (assuming it's over) with his reputation intact? Did Hughton not see that Morrisson was shagged out in Tel Aviv? Could Hughton not have suggested Elliott to replace Robbie against Israel at home? And so on...

I've asked this about a dozen times before and nobody has seen fit to respond: exactly what input did Huighton have in the last 3 years? Obedient servant to Kerr, doing what he's told & no more, or was he instrumental in the tactical deciusions & the style of play etc.?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jeez.... I was just askin'

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mountie
    Jeez.... I was just askin'
    Perfectly fair question too. My guess is that Hughton must have been at least partly responsible for some of Kerr's decisions and for deciding tactics / style of play etc. If Kerr goes I reckon Hughton has to go too. I'd be very surprised if he can say "it wasn't me guv" to the FAI & to the players.

What do you think Mountie?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's hard to imagine Hughton had no influence on tactics and substitutions but, imo, his suggestions may have been taken on board by BK but ultimately it was BK's call. I think he's just a sound board for BK and someone to shout the instructions on the training pitch....hard to see him tied into Kerrs situation but it's a fair point ats...
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    If the FAI dont offer Kerr another contract, which looks increaslingly likely, then its probably safe to assume that they will not be looking internally at his replacement and will be looking to bring in someone new.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Look lads if one goes the other follows.We need a new manager with fresh ideas,no personal bonds with any of the players,not afraid to make decisions who picks the team based on their ability now not what they could do when they were underage.Maybe then players like Robbie Keane's place on the Irish team may not be as reassured as he thinks it is.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stuttgart, I can only assume that if Hughton was "instrumental in tactical decisions and style of play etc.," under Kerr then then the same could be said of him under Charlton and McCarthy and they brought the most successful era in Irish football. I would at least like to see him appointed as care taker manager ahead of that plonker Given, who IMO, has a worse record with our U21's than Kerr had with the full side. As a side bar I believe our U21's are a better side than they have played and we have a lot to look forward to in the near future , but that's for another thread I guess>

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I was about to post that Givens should be given the job. He is after all, unbeaten in senior international management.

Joke.

Hughton as caretaker isn't a bad idea - there may be better candidates available in 9 - 12 mths' time - though I'd prefer the changes to start now.

But Hughton had no input into tactics under either Charlton or McCarthy. He played under Charlton and as far as I know had no association with the team during McCarthy. Acting as Kerr's deputy was the first time he filled this role so I'm not sure I agree with your response.

As for the near future, there's a lot of players I have high hopes for but maybe not for a few more years yet. It's not all doom & gloom but a lot needs to happen for the current 17-20 year olds to fulfill their promise. I'm off now, have a good weekend.