Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should the FAI and the IFA merge together?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 46.38%
  • No

37 53.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we merge?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Question Should we merge?

I've noticed a lot of people seem to want the F.A.I. and the I.F.A. to join together. I'm totally against this. How would the rest of ye feel about this?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    yes i would like to merge, give us more players to choose from and a vote on the international football council.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm not actually bothered either way, but I really can't see the IFA going for it.
    My other posts are intelligent and witty. This one is an exception.

www.kerins.org

Playstation Network: DanK_SFC

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am in favour for the following reasons 1/The boys in Merrion Square would have to make room for some of the boys from Donegall Place, give me Jim Boyce over John Delaney anyday 2/ An All-Ireland professional League would emerge which is in the long term best interests of club football on this island
    3/ We would finally get an All-Ireland team which would most likely qualify for tournaments more often than either NI or the Republic have been able to do historically, having 6 million people to choose from rather than 4.2 million makes sense

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The ideal scenario for the real football fans on the ground would be that both were disbanded and the fans themselves could organise things properly and set about putting a proper structure in place. That won't happen, so in the meantime, the best option is a merger- which won't happen either.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Can we merge with Brasil or Argentina instead?

I like the idea of all-Ireland team, we have it in most other sports, but I don't think it will make us much stronger.
    Look at Germany, if anything, they declined a bit after reunification. Or another example... an all-GB team wouldn't be that much better than the present England team, shore up a position or two, but overall not a huge difference.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Im for it, both the FAI and IFA are getting left behind, the domestic leagues are not in too good a shape - in the long run its the only way forward. Times have changed since the 70s and 80s, I dont see why it couldnt happen in the next 10 years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well it wont hurt.They have some good players and very passionate fans but i really dont think it will ever happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo
    Im for it, both the FAI and IFA are getting left behind, the domestic leagues are not in too good a shape - in the long run its the only way forward. Times have changed since the 70s and 80s, I dont see why it couldnt happen in the next 10 years.
    I think you are right there .... if they merge now, they can turn it around .... wht will it be like in ten years time if we haven't merged by then ???

info@fai.ie - info@irishfa.com
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its strange that since the win over England - we're starting to hear all this talk of merger!! maybe just a coincidence.

I'm 100% for it though - it's sad that its still partionist. Who knows there may be a united ireland in the near future so why not get a head start now on the football side! Just hope we dont have to sing Irelands Call

shake up is needed and maybe a shift of power from Merrion Square is whats needed! And I reckon a manager like Sanchez is whats needed!

When we played under Charlton - emphasis was put on pressure and passion because our players were supposedly less talented! (Questionable though!) It worked to an extent!

Now we have worse players than we had back then! and yet we show little or no passion and put opposition under hardly any pressure!(take a bow John O Shea et al.). Someone like Sanchez would probably get more out of players!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Volcán Masaya
    Can we merge with Brasil or Argentina instead?

I like the idea of all-Ireland team, we have it in most other sports, but I don't think it will make us much stronger.
    Look at Germany, if anything, they declined a bit after reunification. Or another example... an all-GB team wouldn't be that much better than the present England team, shore up a position or two, but overall not a huge difference.
    Who cares if an All-Ireland team makes it any stronger? That is besides the point. There should only be one Ireland team, even if that meant that we were to have a weaker team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoolEire
    merge with a british team, boll0x to that
    that would mean we would have roy carroll as are second keeper
    boll0x to that
    Go back to your cave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I voted no.:

- I can see the games would all be in Dublin while we in Belfast would get an U21 game as maximum.

- No Northerners would make the team, which is fair enough in some way I guess but which is something no OWC fan will like.

- The same as what used to happen with Nationalists at Northern Ireland games in the past, would happen with Unionists who want to support the merged team. With all those Celtic jerseys at Lansdowne, you cannot deny the ROI fanbase also has a sectarian element. I don't think any Unionist would feel welcome at Lansdowne, and then we're talking about those who travel to Dublin and thus obviously want to support a United Ireland team.
    and I fear there'd even be incidents with a few ROI fans trying to make the Northerners feel unwelcome in a very explicit way (remember what happened to Israeli fans ?).

- the Unionist fans have the same rights to carry a Union Jack to the new team's games as the Southerners have the right to wear the tricolore. The majority of fans will be mature enough to accept both, but I can see this giving problems with a minority of less respecting fans from both sides.

- as per FIFA rules, when you merge national sides you need to merge leagues. I don't think apart from Linfield, Glens and Ports any Northern team would be invited to the new league.

I don't think this island is ready for mergers yet. Try to further build bridges via Setanta Cup and other initiatives, but don't blow up existing bridges by wanting to rush things.
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apart from anything else, we would have to share the ticket allocation and that will make it even harder to get to games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I voted no. I dont want all those loyalist down in dublin with all their british paraphernalia. i dont know how it would make the side any better either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Recipe for disaster, and I don't mean on the pitch. Can you imagine the hardliners (from both sides but moreso from NI) being "told" to merge....there'll be riots among the home fans!!!

I think this should be thought thru' properly and not just as a means to get a better squad on the pitch. Anyway has anyone seen the clubs the NI players are with?!
    "Inflatable hammers and Leprechaun suits, & a chorus of "Here we go" or Olé, Olé"....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    So just beacuse we didn't make the playoff's we should merge with the IFA . Fcuk that. The only good reason for that would be to get an All-Irish league.
    Can't see the Belfast boys wanting to trapse down to Lansdowne every second month (I'd imagine there would be a switch between dublin and Belfast every second game).
    Besides why would the Norn Iron supporters want to come to Lansdowne to be told to 'sit down' or 'stop making noise you're ruining it for everyone'.

Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Should the people of NI get a say?

How about if there was a poll on the English site - should we merge with the RoI coz Duff would solve their left side iof midfield problem. We'd be up in arms.

The F.A.I. split from the IFA in 1921 and are hardly going to go cap in hand and ask to be taken back nor should they.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

No

Outside the context of an all Ireland state of whatever kind (and maybe not even then ) No we should not 'Merge'.

I'd have far more time for the idea of a unified league than a unified national team. No winners in it and I've no interest in disenfranchising anyone -on our side or theirs.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    LOL @ some of the responses here. A reason for not merging was that it'd be harder to get tickets... Sweet jesus, has nobody a sense of realism here.

Would love it to happen but politics, and opnly politics, dictate it won't. Any Irishman who votes no for footballing (or tickets, or grounds) reasons needs toask themselves some real hard questions
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast