Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland v Switzerland - Post-match discussion

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ireland v Switzerland - Post-match discussion

1. I'll get acussed of trying to deflect blame etc. but if it wasn't for that Israeli keeper we would have taken 3 points from that match and got a play-off place, end of.

2. How are the guys on here who don't support Ireland? Having a good evening?

3. As I mentioned on my other thread-watching a news report on the eartquake straight after and it put it in perspective..

4. The players nearly crying at the end shows how much they care.

5. Other countries fans would have caused trouble after a result like tonight. As yet i've heard no reports of violence in Dublin and I seriously doubt I will wake up to any tommorow. Well done to all our fans throughout this whole campaign you should be proud.
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Liam, I love your optimism and your faith, I really do, but you're scraping the barrel here. Time to let go, at least for now.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    1. I'll get acussed of trying to deflect blame etc. but if it wasn't for that Israeli keeper we would have taken 3 points from that match and got a play-off place, end of.

2. How are the guys on here who don't support Ireland? Having a good evening?

3. As I mentioned on my other thread-watching a news report on the eartquake straight after and it put it in perspective..

4. The players nearly crying at the end shows how much they care.

5. Other countries fans would have caused trouble after a result like tonight. As yet i've heard no reports of violence in Dublin and I seriously doubt I will wake up to any tommorow. Well done to all our fans throughout this whole campaign you should be proud.
    1. If the Irish team had been better than Switzerland, France or Israel they would have beaten them and finished above them in the group. They weren't and they didn't.
    2. Not particularly. I was looking forward to a good game of football, and ended up dozing off such was the dire spectacle on offer. Having a childish dig like that is fairly poor form to be honest- while I may not support the Irish team (note the distinction) I certainly don't wish them any ill.
    3. Well of course it does, but you can find some incident to compare with any match to make a similar point, albeit on a lesser scale: say the number of people dying of AIDS every day in Africa- not that we want that can of worms opened again.
    4. Were they all crying? Every one of them? Not that it matters anyway, they can care as much as they want, they weren't good enough and don't deserve to be at the World Cup.
    5. Talk about saving the best for last! Violence. You really are clutching at straws in fairness. Most civilised countries can manage without that. In fact most civilised countries wouldn't have fallen victim to the sky sports disease and would have set their expectations in line with the team's quality- i.e. a hell of a lot lower.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From a Swiss Fan

I just want to congratulate your team for the great battle of tonight. Not a great game, but a dramatic battle. Both teams could have won, we had better chances in the last 15 min. but that because Ireland was just forcing ahead.
    And of course, Shay Given is really great and he made a great save against Frei...

I am a bit sorry for you, and Israel too. It was really a dramatic ending. However, Switzerland too could cry at the end: Spain, The Czech Republic and Turkey in the Play-offs are really big hurdles. (F@ck the new rule of seedings!!). I hope we dont get to play to Spain, i really fear them because these teams (like France, too, btw) always manage a way out even when they're playing badly. Turkey could be a bit easier, but they play a game we don't like. And the Czech, well, I don't know what to say...

In the end, even if some of you are a bit angry or enraged against the Swiss team, I wish you good luck for the next campaign for Euro 2008 and I will be cheering for you to be there!!

Bye!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well thanks for your good wishes mate. But as you guys are hosts you are already there !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robitaille
    Spain, The Czech Republic and Turkey!
    If ye get Spain or the Czech's then yer not going to Germany. Turkey and ye have a slight chance. Hope ye lose
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Hopp Schweiz

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Good luck to the Swiss but unless they draw the Turks they aren't going anywhere.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    thanks, we are devastated, i really did not think the swiss played well at all, but we did not come together as a team and we needed that to sneak a goal.
    we basically lost our chances in the israeli games, i think at that point most of us knew things were over, but we always held on to some hope. we had our chance tonight, but we did not take it....
    Good luck for yourselves.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Well thanks for your good wishes mate. But as you guys are hosts you are already there !
    You calling him a german??

eh.....just copped on there CTID, you talking about 2008? heh heh
    whoops!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    I know !

Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    ... Hope ye lose
    Bad boy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vega007
    Good luck to the Swiss but unless they draw the Turks they aren't going anywhere.
    Well in fairness had we won tonight we'd have been in that very same situation.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants
    Well in fairness had we won tonight we'd have been in that very same situation.
    Indeed, I am happy we made it to the Play-offs at least, but true happiness is different

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Nice gesture fair play to you.Best of luck.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    ^ agree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    In the end, even if some of you are a bit angry or enraged against the Swiss team, I wish you good luck for the next campaign for Euro 2008 and I will be cheering for you to be there!!

Fair play fella ... best of luck to ye in the play-offs now !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    would have loved nothing better than to beat yous tonight!

Fair play though and I have to say hats off to your fans - you travel well and make some noise!

I think both out teams are similar level and neither of us would have been fancied to get through play-offs!

best of luck though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I just want to congratulate your team for the great battle of tonight. Not a great game, but a dramatic battle. Both teams could have won, we had better chances in the last 15 min. but that because Ireland was just forcing ahead.
    From our point of view too many hopeful long balls and considering the prize no serious pressure to call it a battle.
    What happened when the final whistle was blown? It looked like your supporters were in shock and did not know how to respond to the result.

The Swiss looked a neat enough team, did not give an inch and the defense rarely looked like getting bothered. They were better organized in all areas. If you had gone a goal behind then the odds were that you would have got a goal back but the game plan was firstly don't loose a goal, with a bit more adventure you could have won that match. You had thought that we were better than we actually are. Too much caution.

I don't think that you have that much to fear in the play offs. you deserve to be there much more so than our bunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    at the end of the day we were simply not good enough. We dont have enough world class players to compete at the highest level. We cant even beat ordinary sides like ISrael and Switzerland

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bah, Humbug!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast