Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Open letter to Irish Fans

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts

Open letter to Irish Fans

And so the day of destiny dawns pale cold and brimming with the haunt of showers to come...the papers are being chewed over, parsed for tinctures of hope ( Swiss keeper dodgy etc, we can't possibly play as bad as against the Cypriots - we can and may)...and I wonder if I have ever started a home match day with less chin-up belief in the possibility of a passionate and effective victorious performance from the men or boys in green.

And what irks most of all is the fact that the opposition are not from the first eleven of international teams and their players do not generally play with name teams in the best leagues. To feel fear and loathing with such opposition to face is an indication as to how we have faltered since the away game in Paris. And what turns the stomach further is that we owe these
    b*stards a right whipping given their less than sportsmanlike behaviour during and after Basle 1.

So what happens tonight - Uri Frigging Geller buzzes the ground in a helicopter stunt drowning out the avalanche of sound from the 12th man - great frigging help that would be: I hope someone with a SAM knocks him out of his ludicrous perch!.

All of those knarky carping gobs'ites who seem to go to games impurely motivated by the chance to rain down bile on triers like Kilbane will have been reinforced by the media splurge of negativity and hostility to the greener and his team - OUR team - in recent weeks. They will now be waiting to pounce with their twisted mentalities in even greater numbers than before...thank you gutter press, thank you Dunphy, Brady and Giles ...thank you not .

Our team appears rudderless, lacking in self-esteem, confidence and the wild Irish passion for the cause. They need the crowd to put their arm round them and give 95 minutes of unconditional support whatever the individual mistake and failings that occur. Everyone of us who attend have an absolute responsibility to be constant in our positive acclaim of the team...all the way to the bitter or sweetest of sweet ends...the drums are beginning to rumble...let us don our warpaint, gird our guinness guts, be there for the boys or maybe boys who rediscover that they are men and not just any men but Irishmen in the green jersey worn with pride... and from the jagged yawning jaws of elimination and recrimination, let us all together snatch the promised lotus land of a famous football victory...only ask what you can do for your country...the hour of need is upon us.

-------------------------------------------------------

Wish the above was written by me but was sent to me this morning by e-mail by a friend of mine but it represents exactly how I feel.

Stand up for the Boys in Green. Wir fahren nach Deutschland.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 12/10/2005 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Returned to Senda....address unknown....no such numba ...... no such zone...de doo de do de doo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When I grow up I want to be Tom Humphries too....
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Our team appears rudderless, lacking in self-esteem, confidence and the wild Irish passion for the cause. They need the crowd to put their arm round them and give 95 minutes of unconditional support whatever the individual mistake and failings that occur. Everyone of us who attend have an absolute responsibility to be constant in our positive acclaim of the team...all the way to the bitter or sweetest of sweet ends...the drums are beginning to rumble...let us don our warpaint, gird our guinness guts, be there for the boys or maybe boys who rediscover that they are men and not just any men but Irishmen in the green jersey worn with pride... and from the jagged yawning jaws of elimination and recrimination, let us all together snatch the promised lotus land of a famous football victory...only ask what you can do for your country...the hour of need is upon us.
    Owlsfan, your friend has a future in journalism. Thanks for posting that. Best piece of witing I've read in a while. Particularly like the last paragraph.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman
    Yaeh gweat witing (Sorry JP) Great post, hiss and chant when the Swiss have the ball and cheer when we get it back (amidst the singing of course) hopefully there'll be more cheering than hissing!
    Sorry, spelling let me down there. As you said if we hiss and chant when the Swiss have the ball it will help create the urgency required to upset the Swiss. I'm leaving now and fully intend giving everything to the cause tonight. COME ON IRELAND!!!
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Absolutely brilliant! wow! You string words together like Zinedine Kilbane strings sh1te passes together...effortlessly!
    Here's a gold star and big smiley face for u.
    You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well one plus from tonight's result.... Uri Geller is ineffectual in football.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan

...let us don our warpaint, gird our guinness guts, be there for the boys or maybe boys who rediscover that they are men and not just any men but Irishmen in the green jersey worn with pride...

Stand up for the Boys in Green. Wir fahren nach Deutschland.

Good piece - only, at the game tonight the fans showed pride - but how proud can we be when we see a team that don't feel the same way!!! Pride isn't blind

Fair enough the players were upset after game but how many acknowledged the supporters??? Shay Given the best player in our team = the only one - decent fella - understands what its all about!!

Of course there will be people who rain down abuse - frustration vented the wrong way - but some players and the manager deserve a lot of criticism