Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Robbing/damaging flags

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Robbing/damaging flags

I see a derry fan robbed a harps flag on friday and it got me thinking.

For me, its an written rule, ye dont mess with other clubs supporters flags. I remember dundalk supporters tried to burn or damage rovers flags a couple of years ago (and one was a tricolour ) but its not on imo. (note: robbing a hoolie flag is totally different though)

I hope the derry fans give the harps flag back to the lads (just like the rovers fans did a few years ago when a bohs flag was robbed).

While i hate craptown wihth a passion i would never even think about touching their flag and if a drogs robbed one, id make sure id get it back for them (and lets be honest it is fairly easy to find out who exactly robs a flag)

Fair enough, kick lumps out of each other if ye want, but dont mess with the flags
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree totally. Down the years we've burnt a Rovers flag, Dundalk have burnt one of ours, Rovers robbed one of ours (the Ultras organised to get it back to us), we've robbed two of Shels (the SEI organised to get one given back). Last night our scummier element robbed another one of Shels and it took the cops to get it back (for the second time this season). That's just the ones I can think of offhand.

Like Cosmo, I draw a distinction between fans' flags (as in all of the above) and hoolie flags. The BSC flag ending up with Rovers was different. If people are gonna play those idiot games, then trophies go with the territory and I've no sympathy.

Trying to get an Italian-style terrace culture going has been one of the best things to happen in this League in the last few years. Anyone robbing fans' flags is basically attacking that culture. So when it comes to fans' flags, every time, it's wrong. End of.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This has happened loads of times over the years but only when it involves City does the bitter little drogheda man raise his head. You refer to city fans taking a flag simply to demean us because you still have a grudge over Jim Roddy telling the truth. There were a lot of minor things last night which shouldn't have happened and carried out by both sets of fans but of course why mention that when you have a love for Harps (trophyless - good love-ine with drogs) and a jealousy of city.
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Way off topic there Speranza.

The incident brought it into Cosmo's mind, nothing more.

As I said on the Harps forum, taking flags is not on.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    This has happened loads of times over the years but only when it involves City does the bitter little drogheda man raise his head. You refer to city fans taking a flag simply to demean us because you still have a grudge over Jim Roddy telling the truth. There were a lot of minor things last night which shouldn't have happened and carried out by both sets of fans but of course why mention that when you have a love for Harps (trophyless - good love-ine with drogs) and a jealousy of city.
    Paranoia, or what

(and for the record no jealousy with derry whatsoever - if ye win the treble you'll deserve it and i have a feeling you'll definitely win the league - and fair play if ye do)

No as Maribor said, it brought it back up after reading what happened on friday.

I just think its the lowest of the low and if a drogs supporter did it to another team i wouldnt shed a tear if he got the living sh!t kicked out of him - in fact id probably point the cnut out to the opposing supporters if they wanted to have a 'word' with him about it
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Didn't here anything about a flag(s) been stole by derry but

Harps flags have been burned on a few ocassions by travelling Sligo support, I'd imagine most of those responsible had nothing or very little to do with the club, just up looking fo a ruck
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The taking of flags in bang out of order, I'd not be happy if mine went missing.

Agree with Speranza though, you can't help but feel Cosmo has ulterior motives for bringing it up.
    I'd rather die laughing than trying!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    Woo whooo hullabaloo!
    Cheers, that really was a funny post!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I just think its the lowest of the low and if a drogs supporter did it to another team i wouldnt shed a tear if he got the living sh!t kicked out of him
    Odd logic that. So stealing a flag is lower than someone getting the **** kicked out of them?

Genius.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree with Cosmo. Surely you mean an unwritten rule?!

As someone who regularly hangs flags I've had my tricolour spat on in Dundalk and had coffee or some other substance chucked at it in Sligo!

As the doc says they tried to burn a Rovers flag a few years back. Obviously there are more incidents but taking someone elses flag is simply not on.

However I feel that until ALL grounds are properly segregated this will continue. There should be a dedicated away end at all grounds where the away fans should not have to put up with locals changing ends or local kids running around you looking for trouble. The solution is have a buffer zone on either side of the away fans and to have proper stewarding as well.

Cork is one example. While they have a new dedicated away end the home fans are just next to us and when they scored the last time we were there a bottle came flying in. Drogheda on friday was another. No trouble but you have scores of locals streaming past us on their way to the far side
    We wont even go into Longford's problems.

Best example is Waterford. You can hang your flags at the front of the main stand and no hassle unless the locals under estimate the amount of away fans coming!! Derry and Harps are hassle free as well.

Of course we cant hang flags at tolka in case the gangster gets upset

KOH

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    doing anything to opposing fans flags is wrong, simple as. what really ****es me off is stupid young fellas getting at them- FFS we've had situations where there have been young feelas trying to set fire to City flags in the Shed, and they're meant to be City fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo
    I see a derry fan robbed a harps flag
    you sure it didnt blow away just like Harps hopes at staying up! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

sorry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    cruel....very cruel Rovers1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    yeah. almost as cruel as perverts roaring abuse at little kids

Remember, the only reason you are top of the First Division is that they had to take Harps, Bray and UCD out of it. If you can't get promoted out of there this season then things must be bad. Even Kilkenny and Cobh are competing for the first time in a decade ffs!

Just hope you don't get us in the playoffs lads - your misplaced superiority could get a short,sharp, shock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fbtn
    Just hope you don't get us in the playoffs lads - your misplaced superiority could get a short,sharp, shock!
    A Harps fan confident about a play-off?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    We've always been looking to get up - not fighting to stay up smartarse

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I had a big Cork City flag robbed on me tusday in Cyprus .It wasn,t mine and im dreading telling the owner .some-one had to of gone to alot of trouble to of stealing it .As it was well knoted on and we we high up .I, realy disgusted as it wasn,t mine .