No rest for Rocket
05/10/2005 - 11:55:40

Ronnie O’Sullivan will not be carrying out his threat to take a break from snooker.

The world number one claimed in April, after his World Championship exit at Peter Ebdon’s hands, he was “90%” certain to skip the 2005-06 season.

But his plans have changed, and O’Sullivan’s renewed focus was confirmed today as he signed up with a new management company and it emerged he would compete in this season’s core tournaments.

The 29-year-old has won 18 ranking titles to date, including three UK Championships and two world titles.

When O’Sullivan went out at the Crucible he said: “I’ll probably have a year off. I’ve not made a final decision yet but I’m 90% positive that’s what I will do.”

He claimed the game was proving mentally exhausting – but by adjusting his schedule to incorporate a series of pool tournaments in the United States, O’Sullivan is hoping to breathe new life into his game.

“I think, as everyone knows, I have several options and alternatives that I might like to try or explore this season and beyond,” said O’Sullivan.

O’Sullivan has joined the growing stable of the world’s best players at 110sport, a Stirling-based management company who include Stephen Hendry, Mark Williams, Ken Doherty and Stephe Maguire among their clients.

With the new arrangement, O’Sullivan expects to be able to maximise his earning potential on both sides of the Atlantic.

While his snooker commitments may be reduced, O’Sullivan will still play this month’s Grand Prix, which begins in Preston on Saturday, the UK Championship, Wembley Masters and the World Championship.

He is likely to skip some of th smaller tournaments on the calendar.

The Chigwell-based player also intends to keep up with his commitments to the touring Premier League – but he is also motivated by the challenge of competing against North America’s leading pool players. A tournament in Orlando next month could see him make his debut in the sport.

Australia rising star Neil Robertson has also joined 110sport, whose chief executive Lee Doyle said: “We are delighted to have two players of such quality come on board.

“Neil has certainly made his mark in the last few years and is definitely a potential future champion, while Ronnie is generally accepted as the biggest talent in the game and a proven winner.”