Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Irish media

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deadman
    In fairness, McCarthy met quite the same 'phenomenon' after defeats against Russia & Switzerland .... only months after the World Cup.
    You could say he was dealt with even more severely. He had two poor performances. We've under-performed in most of our recent games.
    Have we though? Could we have done any better against France? Could we have done any better against Israel at home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quinn is correct - the gutterpress mentality in England has infected the media here. It is symptomatic of the west brit lifestyle that has poisioned our society. It was only a matter of time before the media started to get their claws into Kerr, it is up to the manager now to respond in kind to these guys and send his team from Cyrpus with a win and the leeches with their tails between their legs. These hacks would rather see Ireland fail to get a story. Some of these guys are trash journalists and when the good times roll they are first with their heads up the managers arse. Just like the English supporting ole ole brigade I can do without them. I was listening to some on today fm yesterday morning (connor morris i think his name was) but the negativity that guy had was unbelievable when reporting on the Cyprus game. That was actually paid to go there and report for us - these guys should realise that they are in a priveledged position to be able to combine work with play and all they do is moan.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Could we have done any better against France? Could we have done any better against Israel at home?
    France, I can accept ... Israel, I cannot. From the position we were in, it was two points dropped. I'd play it again from scratch if i was given the option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Also, I didn't know that Miller is also in Fintan Drury's stable, perhaps explaining Kerr's loyalty to him?
    This is true, believe it or not Richard Sadlier cut his football agent teeth working on the transfer of Miller to United. Before he failed the exams and went into coaching.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quinn

Sweet mother of Devine god
    Whoever paid Quinn money for that article should be sacked
    Im suprised people on here agreeing
    We now have a media akin to Londons???
    Do we now!Well it seems to me that if Wayne Rooney was caught drink
    Driving he would now be spending time in rehab with Kate Moss
    Not the poor Nice Niall crap that came out after his episode.
    Sure wasnt he only 2 4 6 8 20 (pick your own number) over the limit
    There was an element of truth in that we played caveman football!
    No there wasnt an element becasue it was the truth.
    Watch the 1-1 Wembley Draw or any 1990 world cup game again
    Crap,Diabolical,Garbage but effective all the same
    The game he holds up as an example against England was against an England
    team that went on to win the grand total of 0 games at the Euro Championships.Managed by Graham Taylor the worst English manager
    ever who was lambasted 24/7 365 and who had all the Knowledge and tactical nous of an Under 12d1 North Dublin League manager
    At least hes now found his level in his new job!
    The sheer urgency of our play somehow contained a degree of our Irishness
    How please explain?????????
    We are a country of gaelic football of hurling we are not Holland.
    Well thanks for that analytical masterpiece!
    Of course if we were a country of Snooker players,Chess players and
    mud wrestlers we would have a different approach
    Dont blame Gaelic and Hurling for that ****e that the public swallowed
    Hoofing balls all over the place and running around like lunatics is never going
    to be a good tactic in competitions where you are playing 6 or 7 games
    maybe in 80-90 degree heat! Thats the only reason Kerr has tried to make us
    a more technical team(even though we have had better players)
    The rest is utter tripe,
    I must go before I kill myself, Quinn or whover paid him for such ****e
    Last edited by hoops1; 07/10/2005 at 4:21 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So you do not agree with him then?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpcc
    So you do not agree with him then?
    I think he doesn't agree with some points

I do think we are destined to hoofballers as in out top sports hoofing is a subtle tactic & of course our players learn their trade at the mecca of hoofball that the Uk is.

Hurling is all about hoofing - rare to actually pass the ball.
    Rugby has the kick & chase & garryowen.
    Gaelic football used to be hoofed but now more hand passing.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9
    Quinn is correct - the gutterpress mentality in England has infected the media here. It is symptomatic of the west brit lifestyle that has poisioned our society. It was only a matter of time before the media started to get their claws into Kerr, it is up to the manager now to respond in kind to these guys and send his team from Cyrpus with a win and the leeches with their tails between their legs. These hacks would rather see Ireland fail to get a story. Some of these guys are trash journalists and when the good times roll they are first with their heads up the managers arse. Just like the English supporting ole ole brigade I can do without them. I was listening to some on today fm yesterday morning (connor morris i think his name was) but the negativity that guy had was unbelievable when reporting on the Cyprus game. That was actually paid to go there and report for us - these guys should realise that they are in a priveledged position to be able to combine work with play and all they do is moan.
    Spot on lofty 9 about what is wrong with Irish society in general.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well here's an interesting issue that was only briefly touched upon.
    There was an article during the week, in the Evening Herald, analyzing Robbie Keane's record goal tally, it said he has scored most of his international goals in either meaningless friendlies or competitive games against the groups minnows.
    And looking at the bare statistics the guy has a point. However he missed an even bigger point. Irish soccer players North or South, doesn't matter, simply do not score sufficient goals to make us anyway a power in international soccer.

George Best, widely acclaimed as the most gifted football player ever born on the island of Ireland, didn't even make double figures in international football. Joe Bambrick held the record for the North on 12 goals for years. When you factor in that he scored 6 of those in a 7-1 win over Wales you see what I mean. His record stood till Colin Clarke's time. He ended on I think 13. David Healy has only in the past 2-3 years blown that one away.

For years the Record Goalscorer for Ireland (Republic) was Don Givens with 19.
    Shortly after this Carmine Bussutil scored 25 for Malta during a period when I think the combined Maltese squad only mustered 41 between them.

Robbie Keane has scored less than 25 , now he should easily beat that target.
    But when you factor in the following snippet.... The Republic of Ireland's Women's team's record goalscorer Olivia O'Toole has scored 46, this shows how far behind the England's ( Charlton 49, Lineker 48) we still are.
    And God knows they are no great shakes, but it is still a legitimate target to reach.
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 08/10/2005 at 4:43 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12