Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Kerr...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do anyone know where I can send an e-mail or fax of support to the team n Cyprus.?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1
    Reports that came out after the game suggested that Kerr only got excited about winning the game when they got back to 1-1
    In the game in Dublin he should have remained with the formation
    he started with it got us to 2-0 up leave it alone if it was working!
    To be honest Israel are **** poor and to be trying to stitch a game
    up at home when 2-0 up has negativity all over it.
    A manger should be trying to get his team to try and win all games
    if you draw while trying to win so be it but Kerr has had a pick a point up on
    the road win the home games(with a partizan crowd behind us) mentality. Which is great in theory until you get done at home as in the French
    match.Then the whole thing falls apart.
    It's great having hindsight isn't it? Kerr has used the right formation and tactics in all of the games. He's been unlucky in some and players has played badly in others.
    AFAIK he went to 433 against Israel when Keane came off. How is that negative. If anything that's more attacking.
    You're going on as if these were unforgiveable school boy errors. They are not.
    McCarthy made some unbelievable decisions (bigger mistakes than Kerr is making now) when he started off but was given the time.
    3-5-2, Keane as a sweeper, Mark Kennedy in a free role against Belgium, Shafting Denis Irwin, Replacing Kennedy with Holland against Macedonia. 451 against Yugoslavia + Croatia away. You could go on and on.
    Why isn't Kerr given the chance that McCarthy was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpcc
    Do anyone know where I can send an e-mail or fax of support to the team n Cyprus.?
    http://home.eircom.net/javascript/Ew...prus/home.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Eireboy

If you are just keeping possession and not creating chances you are hardly
    trying to win the game you are playing for a draw
    That is player speak for we were told to keep the ball and hold what we have
    In the Israel game instead of changing like for like he moved 3 players into
    differnet positions.Giving them the couple of minutes needed to get back into the match

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster
    It's great having hindsight isn't it? Kerr has used the right formation and tactics in all of the games. He's been unlucky in some and players has played badly in others.....
    Why isn't Kerr given the chance that McCarthy was.
    Agree with your analysis of tactical errors made by previous management.
    Answer to your question is... if we fail to qualify for Germany,... the FAI will have to borrow money for it's share of the Lansdowne Road redevelopment portion which both the FAI and IRFU have to stump up in order to get grant aid from the government. That is the Why like it or lump it! I would be prepared to give Kerr another chance if it was up to me, but it isn't. It seems to me he is being blamed for not getting us to the Euro 2004 when he wasn't in charge for a lot of that campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1
    If you are just keeping possession and not creating chances you are hardly
    trying to win the game you are playing for a draw
    That is player speak for we were told to keep the ball and hold what we have
    In the Israel game instead of changing like for like he moved 3 players into
    differnet positions.Giving them the couple of minutes needed to get back into the match
    I'm talking about the away game. Kavanagh said it was a concious effort by the players to sit back. Kerr said they should have been more incisive going forward and he told them that at half time. Roy Keane felt they should have created more. Israel's game plan was to catch us on the break, keeping possession ruined that game plan until we lost it in the last minute through an Irish shot (afaik).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks Eirebhoy .

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Posters defending the attacks on Kerr are completely missing the point.

IT is absolutely disgraceful and underhand to attack him, and undermine him and the team while we still have everything to play for in this group.

The papers/FAI conspirators (I'm not suggesting all of them are) do not seem to care if they damage our chances of getting to the playoffs.

No matter whay anyone's problem is with the manager or players he picks surely everyone press, FAI, & fans should be totally behind them until the qualifiers are over.

Then and only then should BK's merits or lack thereof be discussed.

I'm sure the Cypriots and Swiss are delighted. And the rest of the football world must be highly amused by our self destructive antics.

"The Irish are a fair people; they never speak well of one another." —Samuel Johnson 1709-1784

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    btw Kerr is on his last legs. Delaney doesn't want him & is in situation where won't have toi actually sack - just not renew contract. The media must be starting these rumours from somewhere...
    No, I think any reasonable person would say that BK's fate lies in the next two games, those results will make or break him. If he fails he will have had two qualifying campaigns and he will have finished 3rd twice - that is not acceptable given the groups we were in.

If we get to a play-off and we lose, then it's a more difficult decision but I would definitely like to see him stay on.

If we get to the WC he deserves an improved contract.

I think the print media can work things out for itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    He just didn't want to risk.
    That's Kerr in a nutshell. He NEVER wants to risk anything. He didn't want to risk losing his leads to Switzerland and Israel, and lost them, he didn't want to risk losing the French game, and lost it, so he can't say he's got a hard time from the press. Most of the media were/still are pro-Kerr, but he has done himself no favours after playing poor tactics, making bad subs, getting bad results, and ignoring the media.

If Kerr feels hard done by, then how does Sven Eriksson feel with England? He has the players, he's got the results, he has probably qualified them for the World Cup, he has secured a play-off spot at least, and yet the media are openly annihilating him. He still gives press conferences.

Brian Kerr has the best ever facilities available to an Irish coach, he has had RK available for most of the campaign, he got his way with the group fixtures, yet still hasn't delivered. And then he wonders why the knives are out. Next week, he will be out of a job, and it's not the media or the FAI's fault why, it's his fault, and his only.
    Last edited by mypost; 05/10/2005 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    We should all be behind Brian and the team until we at least the final whistle against Switzerland. Then will be the time to begin evaluating and re-evaluating.

I think our print media have been an absolute disgrace this last week. First they pull a spark out of nothing, then they pour petrol on it. Shame on them.
    Day upon day they read more and more like the camp that harass the England team at every turn. Further evidence of the tabloid-isation of our media.

Quote Originally Posted by colster
    I think the problem with Ireland is that they don't have as good a team as McCarthy had. He had Keane in his prime. We have to play an ageing player on his last legs and a converted winger who can't pass the ball in central midfield. I can't see how a change of Manager is going to solve that.
    McCarthy also had the long ball option with Quinn coming off the bench.
    Hmmm that might be a bit revisionist in fairness. Mick had some good players -as Brian does -and Mick had some holes to fill and patch up jobs to do -as Brian does. I see no major gap in quality between the two eras to be honest.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    We should all be behind Brian and the team until we at least the final whistle against Switzerland. Then will be the time to begin evaluating and re-evaluating.

I think our print media have been an absolute disgrace this last week. First they pull a spark out of nothing, then they pour petrol on it. Shame on them.
    Day upon day they read more and more like the camp that harass the England team at every turn. Further evidence of the tabloid-isation of our media.

Hmmm that might be a bit revisionist in fairness. Mick had some good players -as Brian does -and Mick had some holes to fill and patch up jobs to do -as Brian does. I see no major gap in quality between the two eras to be honest.
    The team that McCarthy qualified with was better than this one. It had a strong CM pairing. At the moment we don;t have a strong CM.
    We have better wingers and probably a stronger defence. CM is where we are lacking. Without a strong CM we can't exploit our strength down the wing.
    McCarthy's team also had a viable long ball option in Quinn.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty
    If we get to the WC he deserves an improved contract.
    If we get there, he should tell the FAI to stick it and go public. They'll have as much credability post Genesis as Phil Collins...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    If we get there, he should tell the FAI to stick it and go public. They'll have as much credability post Genesis as Phil Collins...

First time I laughed today.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm really disapointed in the Irish sports pages, I know its been going this way for a while but destructive pieces in the star & Indo/herald over the last few days... well its a real shame. It's as if some fans on this forum & journalists would prefer to disect Kerr's management right now at the risk of undermining his & the teams confidence, purely so they can say, I TOLD YOU SO. Why don't you all keep your negativity until the worst actually happens, if it ever does happen, that is.
    Everyone seems to be in rush for us to fail???? Don't these people want to see Ireland at the World Cup? Talk about self destruct....
    I seriously can't believe this "we've already lost" mentality here & in the papers. Have some belief & don't listen to the utter sh!te in these papers they have ZERO interest in Irish football other than it being a means to sell papers.
    Give the man a chance over the next two games. God knows he needs it now, with all the rubbish that's been written.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram_14
    I'm really disapointed in the Irish sports pages, I know its been going this way for a while but destructive pieces in the star & Indo/herald over the last few days... well its a real shame. It's as if some fans on this forum & journalists would prefer to disect Kerr's management right now at the risk of undermining his & the teams confidence, purely so they can say, I TOLD YOU SO. Why don't you all keep your negativity until the worst actually happens, if it ever does happen, that is.
    Everyone seems to be in rush for us to fail???? Don't these people want to see Ireland at the World Cup? Talk about self destruct....
    I seriously can't believe this "we've already lost" mentality here & in the papers. Have some belief & don't listen to the utter sh!te in these papers they have ZERO interest in Irish football other than it being a means to sell papers. Give the man a chance over the next two games. God knows he needs it now, with all the rubbish that's been written.
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Well, you can have either realistic assessment, or a load of rubbish. And a load of rubbish is not going to keep BK in a job beyond next week.
    It's all very well getting behind the side. However, with disgruntled fans, a depleted squad, a techy boss, and a media in revolt, can you honestly, realistically say that when we need, really need, to win 2 games or wave goodbye to Germany, we will do it? Going on BK's recent record, you would have to say no. And if he can't do it, he will have to go.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    It's all very well getting behind the side. However, with disgruntled fans, a depleted squad, a techy boss, and a media in revolt, can you honestly, realistically say that when we need, really need, to win 2 games or wave goodbye to Germany, we will do it? Going on BK's recent record, you would have to say no. And if he can't do it, he will have to go.

Well why don't you wait until we don't qualify, why are you jumping the gun, mistakes have been made, I don't disagree, but do you think its intelligent of the media to be suggesting alternative managers when there is a still a possibility to qualify?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Why isn't Kerr given the chance that McCarthy was.[/QUOTE]

If we were not to make the play offs this time, that would be the second tournament in a row under Kerr that we failed to get that far. That didn't happen under McCarthy. I agree we should hold off until the results are in, but those asking the quoted question should ask themselves how likely it was that McCarthy would have kept his job with an 0/2 record--and whether they would have supported him to keep it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marked Man
    If we were not to make the play offs this time, that would be the second tournament in a row under Kerr that we failed to get that far. That didn't happen under McCarthy. I agree we should hold off until the results are in, but those asking the quoted question should ask themselves how likely it was that McCarthy would have kept his job with an 0/2 record--and whether they would have supported him to keep it.
    But Russia and Switzerland got a 3 point headstart since Kerr wasn't in charge at the start. I actually think he should be gone if we don't qualify as he's been treated more harshly than any other Ireland manager I can remember and it means my fear has outpassed excitment 10-fold before games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    True, but by the time we were down to the last two matches, qualification was there for the taking. So it's not as if that tournament represented nothing more than a warm up for the job for Kerr. He was in charge, there was a good chance to qualify, and it was passed up. That's got to be taken into the reckoning when we look at his record.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast