Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Kerr...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    BK has my full support, all i see in todays papers is Bryan Robsons name as a viable alternative.......that can only be considered a very bad joke

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    1-1 in Cyprus.
    You are off the mark there, personally I don't think thats a realistic assessment. I'd prefer to be positive at least untill these games are over. There is NOTHING gained in knocking the manager now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram_14
    You are off the mark there, personally I don't think thats a realistic assessment. I'd prefer to be positive at least untill these games are over. There is NOTHING gained in knocking the manager now.
    You know the usual story against Cyprus; BK spends the week drooling over the opposition's "qualities" ...we have key players missing...they have nothing to lose...we score first...then defend...then throw the lead away. We can't score again...final whistle goes... we're out.

I haven't just started knocking BK, I've been doing it since he, (and it was he alone who), threw 4 points away against Israel, and I have seen nothing in the games since then, to suggest that that damage and the other advantages thrown away, will be repaired. That's what the FAI are probably thinking too.

The English Sun reported today, that Roy Keane could be our next coach for the Austria/Switzerland qualifiers, as player-boss. Unlikely, but a better prospect than Brian Robson.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    You know the usual story against Cyprus; BK spends the week drooling over the opposition's "qualities" ...we have key players missing...they have nothing to lose...we score first...then defend...then throw the lead away. We can't score again...final whistle goes... we're out.

I haven't just started knocking BK, I've been doing it since he, (and it was he alone who), threw 4 points away against Israel, and I have seen nothing in the games since then, to suggest that that damage and the other advantages thrown away, will be repaired. That's what the FAI are probably thinking too.

The English Sun reported today, that Roy Keane could be our next coach for the Austria/Switzerland qualifiers, as player-boss. Unlikely, but a better prospect than Brian Robson.
    If people adopt the attitude of the Independent group of newspapers then their reports will become self-fulfilling prophesies. Support BK and the team especially when those of you with tickets for the Swiss game get to Lansdowne Road. Because failure to pick up 6 points in these games will see Ireland missing the play-off boat entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    It looks to me like John Delaney has decided he wants Kerr out, which to my mind is a disgrace in the middle of a qualifying campaign. Remember Delaney is the man who wanted to give the job to Bryan Robson . The journalists haven't been much better. Paul Hyland in the Herald is a particularly bad offender, everything that guy writes should come with a bul****t warning. Cathal Dervan is complete poison as well. He's never gotten over the fact that his "mate" Mick McCarthy walked the plank. Seemingly Kerr wouldn't talk to the media this evening, serves them right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Acording to NewsTalk 106, he just stayed and answered a few questions, then Paddy Kenny and Kevin Doyle came out to answer questions. This did seem to cause dismay in the journalists, as the 2 lads would be considered fringe players, and not someone they wanted to ask questions of. I'd be shocked if any of the main players in the squad speak to the media before saturday.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I fully support BK and hope he gets us to the WC, as people have said he has worked tirelessly down the years for Irish football. My expectations of the print media is low, so nothing there surprises me. Funny old week what with Stevie Ireland saying he would never play under Kerr, you gotta laugh at the timing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The FAI's handling of the whole lot has been wrong.... That said I think they're right not to offer him a contract just yet. They were slated after giving McCarthy the contract before the Macedonia game.

Of course I support him, but he was hired to do a job and he hasn't done it yet.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its good to see BK and the players treat the media with contempt. Why should they come out and give an open press conference when the people in front of them are stabbing them in the back.

As for those members of the FAI who are clearly sending out these 'rumours' to the press - the best support they could give is inside one of the concrete pillars of the new stadium !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Bk

While everyone wants Ireland to win against Cyprus at this moment I
    must agree with mypost that the game will finish 1-1.
    In fairness the media have given Kerr a very easy ride so far.
    Mainly because he is a decent football man with a long history
    in the Irish game.
    If it was M McCarthy or an Englishman managing at the moment
    that had made as many errors as Kerr the media would have savaged him
    by now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1
    While everyone wants Ireland to win against Cyprus at this moment I
    must agree with mypost that the game will finish 1-1.
    In fairness the media have given Kerr a very easy ride so far.
    Mainly because he is a decent football man with a long history
    in the Irish game.
    If it was M McCarthy or an Englishman managing at the moment
    that had made as many errors as Kerr the media would have savaged him
    by now.
    What errors has he made exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Israel

Both Israel results while winning one nil over there
    trying to hold on rather than take the game to them.
    And while winning 2-0 at home bringing Kavanagh on for Keane
    when Keane was injured trying to stitch the game up which backfired.
    His general attitude has been dont worry we are doing ok sure havent we the French and
    Swiss still to play at home, which is amazingly naieve for a man of his experience.And in general an over cautious/negative approach to every game.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD
    Remember Delaney is the man who wanted to give the job to Bryan Robson
    This is what should be remembered. The main man in the FAI never wanted Kerr in the first place and was out voted on the interview panel. What a shock he's spinning against Kerr now, and throwing his choice back in the arena...

More's the pity there's so many muppets willing to lap it up, as obviously need someone with an English accent to be a good Ireland manager.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Whatever the result of these qualifiers, getting rid of Kerr now would be a bad idea. This is his first proper campaign, he's made his mistakes but should a manager be sacked from his job because of a few mistakes? McCarthy made mistakes, Charlton made mistakes, Hand made mistakes, Giles made mistakes, all were given time to grow into the job. McCarthy took over in 1996 and didn't qualify for ANY competition for a further six years. This team is lacking in a few areas, which is not necessarily Kerr's fault.

For the first time in my memory, we have a management that is schooled in Irish football and whereas we once had Maurice Setters or Ian Evans, we now have Noel O'Reilly and Chris Hughton.

This knee-jerk reaction to a few bad results is what sickens me about much football analysis. We win, the manager and the players are legends. We lose and they should be driven out out of the country like the snakes.

It's too early to tell if Kerr is the man to lead this Irish team to serious success. But it's certainly too early to tell that he's not up to it either. I'm in complete support of Kerr and his players.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Like most people here I am deeply suspicious about the unrestrained contrived need to report / speculate on Kerr's future. I wouldn´t agree that Kerr´s days are numbered just yet. I would say that the political ground is being prepared by these lackeys in the event of us not qualifying for the play offs.
    I bought Dessie Farrell's book "Tangled up in Blue", all for the price of 14 indos at Dublin airport, (a very good 6 hour read) particularly good for the chapters offering insight into the cynical politics surrounding the shafting of the Dublin managers. If you can only browse, then select page 241, a reprint of a letter to a newspaper from 1908.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Both Israel results while winning one nil over there
    trying to hold on rather than take the game to them.
    That was more to do with the players than him. He was trying to get them to push on and attack more. He said after as much after the game. Anyway Israel have proved a decent side. Witness their results against France and Switzerland.

And while winning 2-0 at home bringing Kavanagh on for Keane when Keane was injured trying to stitch the game up which backfired.
    If he'd brought on an attacker and got the same result he'd be damned for not trying to close the game up.

His general attitude has been dont worry we are doing ok sure havent we the French and
    Swiss still to play at home, which is amazingly naieve for a man of his experience.
    Is that not the job of the manager. To remain positive. What was he supposed to do/say?

And in general an over cautious/negative approach to every game.
    How so? He plays 2 attacking wingers Duff+Reid & 2 strikers. Seems pretty attacking to me. I think the problem with Ireland is that they don't have as good a team as McCarthy had. He had Keane in his prime. We have to play an ageing player on his last legs and a converted winger who can't pass the ball in central midfield. I can't see how a change of Manager is going to solve that.
    McCarthy also had the long ball option with Quinn coming off the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Bk

Reports that came out after the game suggested that Kerr only got excited about winning the game when they got back to 1-1
    In the game in Dublin he should have remained with the formation
    he started with it got us to 2-0 up leave it alone if it was working!
    To be honest Israel are **** poor and to be trying to stitch a game
    up at home when 2-0 up has negativity all over it.
    A manger should be trying to get his team to try and win all games
    if you draw while trying to win so be it but Kerr has had a pick a point up on
    the road win the home games(with a partizan crowd behind us) mentality. Which is great in theory until you get done at home as in the French
    match.Then the whole thing falls apart.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Why not name & shame the detractors

Who is pro and who is anti ?

Irish Times : Emmett Malone
    Irish Independent : Gerry McDermott
    Irish Examiner : Liam Mackey
    Sunday Times : Dave Hannigan
    Evening Herald : Paul Hyland
    Sunday Independent : Dion Fanning
    The Star : Paul Lennon
    The Turd : Cathal Dervan
    Last edited by razor; 05/10/2005 at 11:28 AM.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Reports that came out after the game suggested that Kerr only got excited about winning the game when they got back to 1-1
    What reports? The quotes from the playing and coaching staff suggest that the main objective was to keep possession but they felt they should have created more.

In the game in Dublin he should have remained with the formation
    he started with it got us to 2-0 up leave it alone if it was working!
    I don't think it was a good idea to put Duff up front and Kilbane on the left but at the end of the day, the formation didn't change. He just didn't want to risk a player who hadn't played a game in couple of months.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    Irish Independent : Gerry McDermott
    Anti everything as fr as i can tell.

btw Kerr is on his last legs. Delaney doesn't want him & is in situation where won't have toi actually sack - just not renew contract. The media must be starting these rumours from somewhere...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast