Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Iranian audiences gripped by Man Utd play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Iranian audiences gripped by Man Utd play

English soccer's most famous club, Manchester United, has taken centre stage in this year's hottest theatre production in Iran.

Extra seating had to be set up on the stage itself to accommodate the crowds who flocked to see Iranian writer-director Mohammad Rahmanian's F.A.N.S, which depicts a dysfunctional, soccer-mad family living in 1960s Manchester.

Now embarking on an international tour including Sweden and Canada, the play centres on the life of the Shelton family -- Frankie, Agnes, Nancy and Sonny -- whose first initials make up the play's title and its central theme.

"I had wanted to write about prejudice-induced violence for a long time until I hit on football (as the vehicle) and where on earth could be a better location for a football play than England?" Rahmanian told Reuters during a break in rehearsals.

"The research for this work took two years. I went to different Web sites, interviewed fans of several teams and all that made this play one of the toughest ones I'd ever written," said Rahmanian, who has never been to Manchester and has only briefly visited Britain.

Despite the play's foreign setting, it struck a chord in the soccer-mad Islamic Republic.

"I don't think it makes any difference where the story is happening when it's about football," said Taraneh Alidousti, who plays the part of Agnes.

The play's central character Frankie is played by Parviz Parastoui, one of Iran's foremost theatre actors and the lead in the 2004 smash-hit comedy film The Lizard, about a convict who dons a cleric's robes to escape the law.

DOMINANCE

Frankie, head of the household after his parents died in a train crash on the way to a Manchester United match, rules the home with a cruel dominance, testing his wife Nancy, and younger brother and sister Sonny and Agnes on obscure soccer trivia.

But Frankie's grip begins to weaken with the arrival of a taxi driver who supports fierce soccer rivals Manchester City and whose charms prove irresistible to Nancy.

Rahmanian, who assembled the script through improvised dialogues during rehearsals, incorporated the real-life drama of the disappearance of the World Cup trophy before the 1966 finals in England to engineer the story's climax.

Frankie finds the trophy and refuses to hand it over. His wife objects and he breaks her arm in a fight prompting her to leave home with her beloved taxi driver.

Sonny hands the cup back to the authorities, but the pressure of defying his elder brother causes him to fall ill and die. Frankie is finally left on his own.

The main set is a cross section of the Sheltons' home. The walls are covered with old posters of United players and a clock frozen at the exact time on February 6, 1958 when a plane carrying the team back from a European game crashed at Munich airport, killing eight players.

While the dialogue is fast-paced and often laced with humour, the overall mood is dark and oppressive.

"A hollow and distressed life is the only thing circulating in the minds of the audience at the end of the play," the Tehran Times wrote in a review.

Rahmanian hopes audiences learn from Frankie's story.

"Prejudice leads to bullying and dictatorial attitudes inside and outside of the family framework ... I believe all of us, regardless of our differences, have a little Frankie inside us and we should confront him one day," he said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/29092005/32...-utd-play.html
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Would that be in conflict with strict Iranian Sharia Law?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    Would that be in conflict with strict Iranian Sharia Law?
    Despite the spin of certain Western countries, Iran isn't as strict a Muslim state as many in the middle east, certainly not as strict as is made out anyway...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Saw a documentary one night about an Iranian Alternative Rock band.

Facinating stuff. They had to get permits from the culture ministry whenever they wanted to do a gig and include a mesmerising amount of detail as to what they were up to and why.

Gig time comes and there's an inspector from the culture ministry there and all to make sure nothing untoward is going on.

They were playing to about only a dozen people including their wives who were interviewed before and after. You'd swear the lads were cross-dressers who'd been caught in the wardrobe the way their wives spoke about them..."I know my husband is a good man and a good father so I stand by him despite his desire to do this ...but it can be hard at times. people stare and say things." These lads, all 30 or so -looked like school teachers or doctors btw.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    Saw a documentary one night about an Iranian Alternative Rock band.

Facinating stuff. They had to get permits from the culture ministry whenever they wanted to do a gig and include a mesmerising amount of detail as to what they were up to and why.

Gig time comes and there's an inspector from the culture ministry there and all to make sure nothing untoward is going on.

They were playing to about only a dozen people including their wives who were interviewed before and after. You'd swear the lads were cross-dressers who'd been caught in the wardrobe the way their wives spoke about them..."I know my husband is a good man and a good father so I stand by him despite his desire to do this ...but it can be hard at times. people stare and say things." These lads, all 30 or so -looked like school teachers or doctors btw.
    That is censorship. Iranian rock does not have an independent mind if you need permits from the culture ministry. Imagine Bono and Bob Geldof having to go through all that red tape to perform.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster
    That is censorship. Iranian rock does not have an independent mind if you need permits from the culture ministry. Imagine Bono and Bob Geldof having to go through all that red tape to perform.
    Back in the '70's they struggled to find venues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Funnily enough I remember seeing footage of Iran in the days of the Shah and I remember seeing images of a university campus where you'd blokes and un-covered up girls mixing freely and I recall remarking on one kid in a Led Zepplin tee-shirt and another in a Pink Floyd tee.

Don't think you'd see that today somehow. I remember reading an interview with some Iranian lads around the time of the 2001 play off who were saying they thought the Irish and Iranians were very similar in temprament and values and that the Iranians liked nothing better than to get blocked if they knew they were safe from the Mullahs.

A bit chilling really when you think we're still witnessing a two year old tellevised war that has completely destabilised the only non-Mullah dominated state (...for it's myriad of faults) in the region.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sure Ireland is a Mullah dominated state too... in a manner of speaking

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Sure Ireland is a Mullah dominated state too... in a manner of speaking
    We've certainly the madest mullah of the lot anyway... He'd certainly fit in in a dictatorship....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.