Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts

Trigger to manage Ireland?

from http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/in...ca=94&si=79975

Jason McAteer hoping to one day become Irish manager
    Thursday September 29th 2005

Jason McAteer has revealed his desire to one day become Irish manager.

The 34-year-old, who is currently a player and coach at Tranmere, made the revelation at the draw from the semi-finals of the FAI Cup last night.

Asked about the Irish manager's job, he said: "You've got to aim and you've got to dream and that's something that hopefully will come true."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    He's got a better chance of being a stand-up comedian.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    that idiot... all he can do is the scarshy and hutch rountine over the bonnet of cars. Not a chance matey.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    that idiot... all he can do is the scarshy and hutch rountine over the bonnet of cars. Not a chance matey.
    That was Babb & Kennedy. But agree - little chance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hey Jolly no wonder you ignore Eirebhoys posts as he has a habit of getting his facts right.

I agree no chance of Mc Ateer ever to manage Ireland.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    no its for other reasons Neil.

Mc Ateer was never our finest player. I always got the impression he thought Ireland was all about getting wasted and having the craic and not football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    no its for other reasons Neil.

Mc Ateer was never our finest player. I always got the impression he thought Ireland was all about getting wasted and having the craic and not football.
    McAteer was one of our most committed players during his tenure. If anything he was over committed as his attitude in Saipan showed. I can't recall him ever pulling out of 'Meaningless Friendlies' and was always ready and willing to play, even during his Liverpool days.....

I can't see him ever managing anyone but I'd never dismiss his contibution to the green Jersey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee
    I can't recall him ever pulling out of 'Meaningless Friendlies' and was always ready and willing to play, even during his Liverpool days.....
    This might be true but he was also very selfish during the world cup when said he was fully fit to start against Cameroon when he was really still injured from pre world cup friendly. Due to that we had to waste one of our substitutions by bringing Finnan on at the start of the second half when he should have been playing from the start.

He also threw a sissyfit when he told he wasn't included in the starting 11 for the Saudi game (might have been the German game). He even packed his bags and was ready to go home. If I was Mick I would have told him to go ahead. What sort of b!tchy behaviour is that from a 31 yr old professional footballer? Some might argue that these two instances show how much he wanted to play for Ireland but I would just call it selfish and childish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Im not going into the Roy Keane Vs Mc Ateer thing but I always thought RMK was right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    This might be true but he was also very selfish during the world cup when said he was fully fit to start against Cameroon when he was really still injured from pre world cup friendly. Due to that we had to waste one of our substitutions by bringing Finnan on at the start of the second half when he should have been playing from the start.

He also threw a sissyfit when he told he wasn't included in the starting 11 for the Saudi game (might have been the German game). He even packed his bags and was ready to go home. If I was Mick I would have told him to go ahead. What sort of b!tchy behaviour is that from a 31 yr old professional footballer? Some might argue that these two instances show how much he wanted to play for Ireland but I would just call it selfish and childish.
    If you were told you weren't going to play in the World Cup after scoring the goal that got your country there, you'd be p!ssed too.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    source of facts there praha?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry
    source of facts there praha?
    i think he even admitted it in his column/diary with the indo (?) during the world cup.

he didn't actually score the goal that got us there (robbie keane v iran was the vital one) - even had it stayed nil nil against the dutch, we would still have got the play-off.

but his carlsberg ad was great!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    dr peepee fair point, irish people have awful short memories. we are begrudgers in this country, i am too, but someone who gives the service to his country like mcateer, mccarthy etc should be respected and not dissed/made fun of!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    If you were told you weren't going to play in the World Cup after scoring the goal that got your country there, you'd be p!ssed too.
    Of course he should be annoyed/****ed off/disappointed but after the stunt he pulled in the first game could he be trusted if he said he was fit enough to play a full game? Plus he was still required as backup if Finnan or Reid got injured during or just before the game. He would have badly let the team down if he ran away to sulk in the corner when he was needed as a sub. It's the manager's job to decide who's in the starting 11, not the player's. If all the other fringe players had this attitude there would have been only 11 players left in the squad after the team was announced. Also it's not as if he was clearly out best option at RMF at the time so he had no divine right to be in the starting 11.

However, I believe his heart may have been in the right place and he had huge desire to play in such an important game. The team was already away from home for a few weeks and this can be very stressful in addition to the Roy Keane affair, maybe it all just got to him in the end and he needed a big sulk. Maybe this was yet another instance to show how ill prepared we were for the last world cup. IF we make it this time I hope Kerr is sensible enough to employ a small team of (sport) psychologists so the players have someone to talk with to let off some steam.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 29/09/2005 at 1:20 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    A goal in both games against Holland worth 5 pts I believe so he did get us to Korea/Japan and also did friendlies.

Why should he be ruled out IF he became a successful manager in the club game in England ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Although he did score against Holland he was terrible that day and the goal covered a multitude but fair play it was a great finish. He played much better out in Amsterdam. At the moment having heard him talking about football he does not appear to be the most intelligent of guys and you can get away with this as a footballer but not really as a manager.
    In Trap we trust

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    As I said IF he was a successful manager in England, why would we not have him as our manager ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    As I said IF he was a successful manager in England, why would we not have him as our manager ?
    I see no reason not to have him, provided he makes the grade.
    My other posts are intelligent and witty. This one is an exception.

www.kerins.org

Playstation Network: DanK_SFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Personally i would rather have an irish born manager .. i think there are loads of options

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Personally i would rather have an irish born manager .. i think there are loads of options
    If you're not being "ironic" in the football-commentator sense of the word, forgive me while I sh*t meself laughing... and those "options" of a "reeeeal" Irish manager would be who exactly?

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast