Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exit Roy, enter Fester...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Exit Roy, enter Fester...

Absolutely terrible news about Roy, as will now be forced to reconsider my initial optimistic stance over our chances of qualifying.

Nonetheless, according to this morning's Irish Times, Fester Carsley has made himself 'available for selection' for the Cyprus and Swiss games. Don't think he'll quite plug the gap, but at least he means well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see the point myself of bringing him back, he'd be a poor substitute and they're not even similar players anyway. Keano's a massive loss but Kavanagh is the next in line IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fester has been great for Everton the last couple of seasons and with Roy out I'd say Kerr should get him in. I'd play him ahead of Kavanagh anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    carsley has been sorely missed at everton while injured , he has done so well for us since quiting ireland i dont want to see him go back , but now that keane is out he may have to what other options do we have john o shea no thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sheaser to the middle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Sheaser to the middle?
    No way - its been discussed to death. His passing is diabolical. Not to mention his lack of aggression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Alan Quinn is the man playing great for sheffield United at the moment ,.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Fester likes to handle the ball in the box in the 90th minute for no reason when playing for Ireland. I don't think we can afford that liabaility in these next two games. Saying that Dunne might be playing and he seems to like doing the same.

Central midfield for Cyprus has to be Kavanagh and Stephen Reid. On current form I can't see any other alternatives. At least Reid (unlike Kilbane) will bang in a few shots and test their defence. Kavanagh, on the other hand, has always been good for Ireland when called upon.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    "Fester likes to handle the ball in the box in the 90th minute for no reason when playing for Ireland. I don't think we can afford that liabaility in these next two games. Saying that Dunne might be playing and he seems to like doing the same.
    "

LOL, thats all i can think of when i think of that flute coming on against turkey and costing us qualification, i mean what good did he ever do for the team, never mind to make up for that! wasnt it the 82nd minute though??
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I agree it has to be Kavanagh and Steven Reid based on current form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kavanagh for me, but should try and fit fester into the squad for the two games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonred
    Alan Quinn is the man playing great for sheffield United at the moment ,.
    I'm not a big fan of Holland but he's our most experienced holding midfielder. If he shows decent form over the next month he should replace Keane and Kavanagh to play his more natural role of attacking midfielder.
    If we are a few goals up or if Holland is playing Mr. anonymous again and we need tochange things around we can put on S. Reid and/or Quinn (who's having a good season so far) in the last half an hour. If either or both of them play well then Kerr should be open to start at least one of them against the Swiss. Please don't play Kilbane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Holland has gone from Charlton captain to bench warmer this season. My choice would have to be Kav.

"Although Wigan dominated possession with midfielder Graham Kavanagh running the game in front of watching Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr, Jewell's team struggled to carve out goalscoring opportunities until Camara replaced David Connolly on 64 minutes."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...9/ixfooty.html
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 19/09/2005 at 8:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Holland has gone from Charlton captain to bench warmer this season.
    Yeah but he was injured at the start of the season, maybe he'll get a few starts before the next international match? I have to be honest and say I don't know much about Kishishev.

I agree about Kav but if he replaces Roy and we keep Kilbane as the "creative" midfielder then Kav will have to play the holding role, which limits what he can add to the team. I would rather Kav to replace Kilbane and be able to get forward more. Holland would play the holding role and help protect the back four.

Gawd, hoping for Holland to get a few starts for Charlton and show some good form before these two important games really shows how limited our CMF options are
    I know Quinn, O'Shea, S.Reid and A. Reid have been mentioned but only Quinn has regularly played CMF for his club and I don't think he's even had a start in a competitive game for Ireland yet (the Unity cup don't count )
    Has S. Reid been startin at CMF regularly for Blackburn this season or it like last season where he plays on the right sometimes?
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 19/09/2005 at 8:50 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    Yeah but he was injured at the start of the season, maybe he'll get a few starts before the next international match? I have to be honest and say I don't know much about Kishishev
    The Charlton midfield have been very impressive this season, particularly Kishishev and Murphy. I thought Kishishev was very good against Middlesboro at the Riverside a couple of weeks ago. I think Holland will struggle to get back in the team. Remember that Mark Kinsella was club captain at Charlton a few years back, then he got injured and was kept out of the team by Scott Parker. Perhaps Holland will experience a similar misfortune, although I hope not as I'm a Mattie Holland fan. -
    I'd have to agree with eirebhoy, Kavanagh is the man to replace Keane. He's a great passer, an agressive tackler, and has the ability to create and score goals. Indeed I predicted at the start of the season that Kavanagh will end the season with the second highest goal tally for an Irish player in the Premiership (behind Robbie!). I think that the pace with which international football is played suits Kav more than that of the Premiership. His own lack of pace is less likely to be exposed, while giving him the chance to dominate a game (something I've rarely seen Holland do).
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    Fester has been great for Everton the last couple of seasons and with Roy out I'd say Kerr should get him in. I'd play him ahead of Kavanagh anyway.
    The only problem with that is that Everton isn't Ireland, Carsley never really did it at international level despite good performances for Derby, Blackburn & Everton over the years. Kavanagh will have to do but honestly with Keane out our center midfield options are complete and utter crap.

I think Steven Reid deserves a chance in the center but the timing isn't right, he has the engine and physique and loves to tackle.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No Roy, Kilbane playing crap at Everton spends most of his time on the bench, we are basically up sh1t creek without a paddle.

We'll be lucky to get past the Cypriots with this lot, and I don't think the Swiss will be losing any sleep about comming to Dublin needing just a point, knowing that Frei will will get a few chances...

I remeber a time when teams feared comming to Dublin..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I'd go with Kavanagh to be honest
    DAN CONNOR HATES CITY, HE HATES LANGERS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex
    No Roy, Kilbane playing crap at Everton spends most of his time on the bench, we are basically up sh1t creek without a paddle.

We'll be lucky to get past the Cypriots with this lot, and I don't think the Swiss will be losing any sleep about comming to Dublin needing just a point, knowing that Frei will will get a few chances...

what an overreaction! who have cyprus got that we should fear? and the swiss for that matter?? we played very poorly in basle last september and still came away with a point. ok, so roy will be missing and one or two of our players are off form but we still have the likes of given, carr, finnan, dunne, duff. andy reid and robbie that are all far supperior to what cyprus have and at least as good as the swiss. i think some people need a reality check on our current situation in this qualifying group

i've no doubt we'll get two wins and get into the play-offs. no doubt at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex

I think Kilbanes performance and Keanes performance against France shows the importance of 1st team football and playing regularly in coming up to an important game. For that reason unless Holland and Kilbane play regularly I would not have them near the team. For me at the moment the midfield woudl be Kavanagh and Stephen Reid or Kavanagh and O Shea against Cyprus and Harte at Left Back. I think good passsers is whats needed in midfield. I would very rarely play Harte but against Cyprus you can get away with it and he might chip in with a goal from a free kick when it is getting tense. Kerr was saw Kavanagh play on Sunday and was very impressed with him also. For me he is a certain starter in the final 2 games.

Also the Swiss will need more than a draw in the final game unless they Beat the French as a draw will more than likely put Israel through. So there is very little chance that Switzerland will play for a draw in Dublin.
    In Trap we trust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast