Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From the Independant

Kerr stays positive as Keane loss hits home
    Tuesday September 20th 2005
    ADVERTISEMENT

BRIAN KERR insisted last night that there is now an opportunity for other players to step up to the plate for the final two World Cup qualifiers after the loss of talisman Roy Keane.

The Ireland boss spoke to Keane yesterday afternoon and the United midfielder revealed that he will have to wear a protective boot for some weeks after breaking a metatarsal on the middle toe of his left foot in Sunday's clash with Liverpool. He also sustained a cut on the foot which doctors have warned could get infected.

Keane was already ruled out of the trip to Nicosia to face Cyprus because of suspension but he will now miss the home game against Switzerland four days later. Indeed, the Corkman's bad break could also keep him out of the World Cup play-offs in November if Ireland make it that far bringing about the real possibility that Ireland's defeat to France last month may have been the Corkman's last appearance in a green jersey.

"He had been told that the healing period will be from six to eight weeks so that rules him out of the Swiss match in three weeks' time. The play-offs won't be for seven weeks so he might be back for them if the injury heals quickly," said Kerr.

"We knew he was going to miss the Cyprus game but he would have been fit and fresh for the Swiss game, something like the start of the campaign. We have prepared for the loss of players throughout this campaign. The focus is on winning the next two games."

Throughout this campaign Kerr has used either Matt Holland or Graham Kavanagh to replace Keane with Kavanagh filling in at home to Cyprus while Holland took his place against Israel in Dublin.

Neither made it to the bench for the game against France having struggled with injury from the start of the season but Kavanagh has now played three on the trot for Wigan while Holland made his seasonal bow for Charlton at home to Chelsea on Saturday.

With the role of both players in the international set-up now likely to become more important, Kerr, who watched Kavanagh in Wigan's 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough on Sunday, was delighted to see them both back in action.

"They are starting to get a few games under their belt," he said. "We didn't pick them for the France game because they hadn't played up to that."

Another option is Everton's Lee Carsley who has phoned Kerr to tell him that his self-imposed 17-month exile from international football is over.

"I had a call from Lee and I told him that I would go over to meet him soon. I am glad that he had decided to come back because I thought he had a good season," said Kerr.

"He is a very good fellow and since I have been involved I have found him to be very committed, very honest and good to have around the squad. He always puts his heart and soul into everything."

However, Carsley's hopes of being in the squad for next month's qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland could be dashed by a knee injury that has prevented him from playing for Everton this season.

Kerr also has to find replacements for Clinton Morrison and Andy Reid who are suspended for the trip to Cyprus and that could see call-ups for Wigan's David Connolly, Reading's Kevin Doyle and Celtic's Aiden McGeady.

Meanwhile, the manager has been in discussion with the association's chief executive John Delaney over the venue for the home leg should Ireland reach the play-offs with the Millennium Stadium, Anfield, Old Trafford, Eastlands and Parkhead all being considered.

Lansdowne Road is unavailable on the date of the first leg because of a rugby international and the capacity would be reduced to 22,000 for the second leg because of the absence of bucket seats.

Gerry McDermott
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne
    what an overreaction! who have cyprus got that we should fear? and the swiss for that matter?? we played very poorly in basle last september and still came away with a point. ok, so roy will be missing and one or two of our players are off form but we still have the likes of given, carr, finnan, dunne, duff. andy reid and robbie that are all far supperior to what cyprus have and at least as good as the swiss. i think some people need a reality check on our current situation in this qualifying group

i've no doubt we'll get two wins and get into the play-offs. no doubt at all
    the swiss have yakin. remember what he did to us?
    and a more pertinant question is who have we got that the swiss and the cypriots should fear? duff. sin e!
    i think there are a lot of deluded souls out there who reckon we are anyting other than a bog standard side.
    i hate to agree with the turd, but dunphy is dead right in yesterdays star when he says this is the worst irish squad in 30 years. we are simply not good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    the swiss have yakin. remember what he did to us?
    yakin is having a very poor run at the moment and was taken off after 60mins against israel

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=

Meanwhile, the manager has been in discussion with the association's chief executive John Delaney over the venue for the home leg should Ireland reach the play-offs with the Millennium Stadium, Anfield, Old Trafford, Eastlands and Parkhead all being considered.

Gerry McDermott[/QUOTE]

Where is Eastlands ,do they mean Villa Park
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    think its man citys ground

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    Man City's ground
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    While I'd probably go with Kavanagh as he's the incumbent on merit -I'd happily welcome Carsley back into the fold if he's made himself available.

He didn't walk away on bad terms or anything -he felt his career was going belly up at Everton and, more importantly, he has a little fellah with Special Needs who I'm guessing he wanted to spend more time with.

Welcome back and good luck to him if he gets the nod.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    While I'd probably go with Kavanagh as he's the incumbent on merit -I'd happily welcome Carsley back into the fold if he's made himself available.

He didn't walk away on bad terms or anything -he felt his career was going belly up at Everton and, more importantly, he has a little fellah with Special Needs who I'm guessing he wanted to spend more time with.

Welcome back and good luck to him if he gets the nod.
    Yeah, well said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12