Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derry given new lease of life in the title race

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Derry given new lease of life in the title race

Longford held Cork to a 0-0 draw. Am I the only one who finds this hilarious given how badly Cork fans take this result to this team? Derry and Cork now level on points with Cork having a game in hand and better goal difference. Derry still have their work cut out but at least the league has a tight and intriguing race as we near the season's end. We can only hope both teams can take the title when they face on the last day. What a spectacle that would make.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Longford held Cork to a 0-0 draw. Am I the only one who finds this hilarious given how badly Cork fans take this result to this team? Derry and Cork now level on points with Cork having a game in hand and better goal difference. Derry still have their work cut out but at least the league has a tight and intriguing race as we near the season's end. We can only hope both teams can take the title when they face on the last day. What a spectacle that would make.
    What I am worried about is both Rico and SK are bottle jobs. Can Shels come up the rails and catch both of the unawares. The thoughts of it just scares me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Kenny has done the business before, I wouldn't call him a bottle job. I don't think Shels have finished dropping points this season. I can't seem them climbing any higher.
    Last edited by Poor Student; 18/09/2005 at 9:40 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chippie0001
    What I am worried about is both Rico and SK are bottle jobs. Can Shels come up the rails and catch both of the unawares. The thoughts of it just scares me.

Definetly worst case scenario there..

I heard Alan Mathews was seen drinking Champagne in the dressing room after the match..

Was Dublin, then Madrid, then Paris, now London
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chippie0001
    Especially as if that happened we would win the league in your back-yard, with one of the ex-Bohs lads scoring the winner?? Oh how we would laugh!

We are playing great stuff at the moment (all stemming from the lack of Richie Baker or David Crawley in the team), and we could really rack up the points before the end of the season.

We have left ourselves with far too much to do though, so don’t worry, we could easily catch one of them though if either has a poor run-in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedX
    I heard Alan Mathews was seen drinking Champagne in the dressing room after the match..
    That sounds like him alright ..... great for Irish football he is !!

Sure Longford fans will put up with anything in fairness !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    ***total Football***

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Derry and Cork now level on points with Cork having a game in hand and better goal difference. Derry still have their work cut out but at least the league has a tight and intriguing race as we near the season's end. We can only hope both teams can take the title when they face on the last day. What a spectacle that would make.
    Wouldn't be much of a spectacle, because if it came to a winner-takes-all showdown in Cork in November, then as sure as eggs are eggs Cork, with the home advantage, will win it. Derry will have to win it before they go down there, if they are to win it at all.

I still don't think it will come to that. Derry have been struggling lately, and Cork are the better side of the two. It's still in Cork's hands, and I can't see them losing the title at this stage, and I'm sure they would like to win it at Waterford, sending their neighbours down while they do it.
    Last edited by mypost; 19/09/2005 at 2:21 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedX

He was. What a magnificent result for Longford, fair play to them.
    He managed to stop City score at his home ground, the result he said he was hoping for.
    They are rumours that Longford are actually aiming to launch an attack at an opposition goal over the next few weeks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    [QUOTE=mypost]Wouldn't be much of a spectacle, because if it came to a winner-takes-all showdown in Cork in November, then as sure as eggs are eggs Cork, with the home advantage, will win it. Derry will have to win it before they go down there, if they are to win it at all.
    [QUOTE]

I'm sure no Cork fan here needs reminding of that famous final day tussle between themselves and Dundalk at Turners Cross back in 1991. Cork only needed to draw, Dundalk had to win...up steps a little Scot and the proverbial hits the fan for City!
    Ireland: Discovered!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    Derry have been struggling lately
    Yes, unbeaten in 20 games. I hope we struggle like this for the rest of the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    They are rumours that Longford are actually aiming to launch an attack at an opposition goal over the next few weeks!
    surely not! the altitude could be fatal!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kenny has done the business before, I wouldn't call him a bottle job. I don't think Shels have finished dropping points this season. I can't seem them climbing any higher.
    When under pressure at Bohs Kenny tended to bottle it.

FAI Cup Final against Dundalk in 2002, that game was a gimme. Completely bottled it.

In 2003 Bohs were top of the league with 4 games to go. We lost 3 and drew the other one of the 4 games.

2004 Levadia Talinn.

The only

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So what Cork fans are saying is that the worst tactics you can deploy are the ones that prevent the other team scoring.BTW having seen both Cork and Derry in the last few weeks i think Derry are the better side.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy
    I see all those Cork idiots who were at the game last night are giving us their incredible knowledge on the game went last night.Apparently the worst tactics you can deploy are the ones that prevent the other team scoring.BTW having seen both Cork and Derry in the last few weeks i think Derry are the better side.
    And the Longford idiots who cream themselves over a nil-all draw where their own team don't even attempt to score really shows that they know all about football....

EDIT:
    Interesting to see the Longford fan edited his post. Glad I had quoted him in time....
    Last edited by patsh; 19/09/2005 at 9:38 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Having seen Derry 3 times and Cork twice, I have to say that Cork are easily the best team that I have seen play Bohs this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    And the Longford idiots who cream themselves over a nil-all draw where their own team don't even attempt to score really shows that they know all about football....

EDIT:
    Interesting to see the Longford fan edited his post. Glad I had quoted him in time....
    I'm not happy with the 0-0 draw as i think the game was there to be won so although it'd not a disaster i would consider it another missed opportunity.Can you explain to me so the several attempts we had on the Cork goal.Now unless i'm mistaken a shot on goal is an attempt to score.You will find that a lot of teams try to do this,shoot to score it's common knowledge.

I edited my post because it just didn't sound right.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    You see what ye want to see. City not destroying somebody= their negative tactics. I thought we played quite well last night and had a few chances to win it, definitely didnt feel we were packing the defence, just that our midfield was good at getting back to help out the defence. We had a fair bit of the possession, we need a bit of a cutting edge though. So do Cork by the looks of things too, John O'Flynn is half the player he once was imo. Still good mind you. Fenn didn't look interested either.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy
    I'm not happy with the 0-0 draw as i think the game was there to be won so although it'd not a disaster i would consider it another missed opportunity.
    Well somebody should tell your "manager" that.
    He seems more than happy with a scoreless draw at home, and in comments to the press before the game, said all we wanted to do was to stop City from scoring.
    Why doesn't he make statements like "I want Longford to go out and score and win the game" instead of getting petty digs in at Rico who rightly pointed out the downside of matthews approach to the game.
    Plenty of you seem happy to grind out results, but it's not only City fans who think Longford under Matthews are negative and suffocating, even Longford fans are staying away in their droves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If Shelbourne make second it will be a remarkable season. 1st is a bit of a pipedream IMHO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast