Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Games weekend 20th September to 23rd September

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Referee decisions (bad ones) do effect the outcome of most games, is last nights one more important because Shamrock R lost out, how about the handball in Waterford not given (Dundalk must have felt badly done by) and the dodgy decisions that didn't go Sligo's way in the game v Shamrock R both last week. The later game was also live on rte. These bad decisions also have consequences for non-Dublin clubs.

The rte 'football correspondent' dismissed the claim by Ruairi Higgins of bias in their reporting by the Dublin media as an attempt by him to build a siege mentality within his squad, rather than address his point/allegation. However it was good to see a analyst from Donegal on the rte panel last night instead of the two blokes from Dublin as was the case last week for another game from the Brandywell. Diversity of opinion is always a good idea I think.
    I hate this "identity politics" idea of diversity. As if the county a pundit is from should make any difference to their analysis of a game. If a pundit from Donegal does start going on about Dublin bias in a game, then I won't nod at this sage piece of Donegal-specific advice; I'll just think he's a fool. Too often now we think we must accept someone's view because of who they are, not because of what they're saying.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    And they wonder why people look on them as a septic shower who deserve all the compassion of a pus-filled boil
    Hahahah... Jesus Christ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knocklyonhoop View Post
    Ye’,I remember a lot,of talk about how good he was with players and better than Bradser , no one netter etc, “Skip”

try,a few men who saved football podcasts at the,time.
    Thn Men who saved football pod? a few lads football opinions albeit lads who believe their beliefs are canon. They would also hae preferred 1st Division football forever rather than have american owners of any sort no matter how good they were as owners. Putin would probably top their wishist of people they'd dream of having on. Its a sounding board for a few individuals but not whole lot to back up their claims -S'OD is proof positive of that currently.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I hate this "identity politics" idea of diversity. As if the county a pundit is from should make any difference to their analysis of a game. If a pundit from Donegal does start going on about Dublin bias in a game, then I won't nod at this sage piece of Donegal-specific advice; I'll just think he's a fool. Too often now we think we must accept someone's view because of who they are, not because of what they're saying.
    Just to say - I'm Im in total agreement with you.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Its not aimed at Sligo or any club, the logic is a person will eventually die (fact) and a club will live on (hopefully).

300 or 400 was it who travelled over, maybe not all tramps?
    Since when did football banners become so criptic. If it's not aimed at the Showgrounds crowd we'll see it used a lot more this season so! Sligo Rovers thought it bizzare and funny, and if there was any sympathy toward Dundalk before, well its well gone when a banner like that goes up. It reminds me of when Dundalk had the buckets out in 2013, they were in the Showgrounds collecting. I threw in a few coins meself, so did my mates. The only thing you'll collect now from Rovers fans is weird looks.

Anyways all the Dundalk stuff just a minor side show on the night. Great game and result for us in loads of ways. A massive total for fundraising efforts. Keeps us in a chance for Europe. 7th win in a row at home. Something to play for in the run is always nice.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Being upset at that Dundalk banner is very funny tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    To be fair, I thought the Dundalk banner was a bit stupid too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Since when did football banners become so criptic. If it's not aimed at the Showgrounds crowd we'll see it used a lot more this season so! Sligo Rovers thought it bizzare and funny, and if there was any sympathy toward Dundalk before, well its well gone when a banner like that goes up. It reminds me of when Dundalk had the buckets out in 2013, they were in the Showgrounds collecting. I threw in a few coins meself, so did my mates. The only thing you'll collect now from Rovers fans is weird looks.

Anyways all the Dundalk stuff just a minor side show on the night. Great game and result for us in loads of ways. A massive total for fundraising efforts. Keeps us in a chance for Europe. 7th win in a row at home. Something to play for in the run is always nice.
    The minor sideshow that youve used 2/3 of your post on....

Honestly, its not the first banner that has cause some head scratching, or is a bit daft. I have cringed most at banners by both Dundalk and Drogheda. But can it not just be accepted that it poorly communicates its message, wasnt personal to Sligo (why pick out Sligo? you re the most harmless of clubs).

Daly saying he is bailing IF relegated is surely a bigger story and one far more worthy for additional Dundalk FC circus bashing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post

Daly saying he is bailing IF relegated is surely a bigger story and one far more worthy for additional Dundalk FC circus bashing.
    Was shocked he came out with that,after that week for Dundalk and presumably needing a United front to have a chance of staying up it felt like a really bad thing to come out with ….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post

I've literally seen Dundalk fans posting that exact phrase on Twitter for years.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Was shocked he came out with that,after that week for Dundalk and presumably needing a United front to have a chance of staying up it felt like a really bad thing to come out with ….
    It does! You would presume that an owner upon recieving that news would ask for it to be witheld for a month or so, or was it due to what an owner had to say. If the club was not involved in the decision then why stick around even now, Liam Burns's results were maybe better when in temporary charge. I not that fussed on having a manager stick around if we stay up that has set out his stall in such a way. If contracted agreements are met next season that Daly will be in a job and a contact needs to be paid up unless there is a mutual termination so why walk? I think at this stage we are all but relegated, maybe a blessing in disquise though a last night escape away to Drogheda would have brought its own fun. All quite mysterious and adds to the sense that last week was a short term reprieve - to be conspiracy theory sounding, there are some wealthy people with skin in the game at clubs that wouldnt want the impact expunged results would have on their season, added to the mess avoided for the FAI, so what were all the flurry of calls reported as happening last Monday with the FAI. Unofficial owner checks havent come back squeaky, so wider collaberation of all interested groups + fans over the next months will be the only way forward.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/09/2024 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    There's been some interesting shouts from Sligo fans this season.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345