Thread: More Chelsea squad troubles ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

More Chelsea squad troubles ?

Mourinho brushes off Cole claims
    16/09/2005 - 18:08:28

Jose Mourinho has chosen to ignore the latest tale of alleged unrest from inside the Chelsea camp chiefly because it has arrived via a third party and not directly from the lips of England midfielder Joe Cole.

The Portuguese coach found it more than amusing that Cole’s supposed desire to quit Stamford Bridge because of the lack of first-team football in a World Cup season, was released into the public arena by a ‘source’ close to the player and not the midfielder himself.

Cole still has another year of his contract to run and all parties are set to hold talks about an extension to his current deal at the end of this season.

In a newspaper report, a friend of the 23-year-old claimed Cole had confided to him that he needed to move because his career was suffering and it was time for a fresh start.

However Mourinho, who has already carpeted Ricardo Carvalho for speaking out over his decision to axe him from the side at the start of the season, sees no reason to speak to the England player about the issue.

Mourinho said: “My reaction is to the story is rubbish. It is an interview with nobody – I don’t understand this source. Who is he? A friend? A friend of a friend? It is unbelievable.

“For me it is nothing. Why should I speak to Joe? For what? Joe Cole was always very open to me. He was in my office last season half-a-dozen times - knocking on my door asking to speak to me.

“He asked why he was not playing and what could he do to improve. I feel this is ridiculous.”

However, Mourinho did admit that when the transfer window opens again in January, everyone in his squad will have his price.

He added: “If he wants to leave he has to wait until the end of the year for the market in January and the player has a price. They can’t just say they want to leave. If they want to leave, they have a price.”

Chelsea travel to face unbeaten Charlton at The Valley tomorrow with Mourinho warning that Alan Curbishley’s side possess all the necessary ingredients to beat them.

In Darren Bent they have the Premiership’s top scorer and Mourinho will present Curbishley with an award for reaching 600 games in charge of the south London club.

However, Mourinho does not believe the Addicks have the staying power to finish above them and, while they are currently pushing Chelsea close at the top of the Barclays Premiership, he does not think they have a chance of finishing in the top four.

Mourinho said: “I think they can compete. What I don’t think is that at the end of the season they can be in front of us. At the end of the season, you will see the difference between their power and ours. The difference will be, I don’t know, 20 or 30 points.

“But now when they play against us, they can beat us. A Championship team can beat a Premiership team, Charlton can beat Chelsea.

“But the reality at the end of the season means that Chelsea will be one of the first teams and Charlton can be in one of the UEFA positions. That would be fantastic for them.

“It will be a difficult game for us but also it will be their most difficult one to date. It won’t be easy for them.

“They have speed in attack and that is very important. They are very solid in defence. It is a team that I like and they deserve the good start they are having.”

Bent’s contribution to that flying start is also acknowledged by Mourinho but signing a player from a lower league in England and throwing him straight into Premiership action is not something which would happen at Chelsea.

Mourinho said: “I think Darren Bent was a good signing. But I don’t see a team like Chelsea, Manchester United or Arsenal signing a player from a lower division and throwing him into Champions League or other high-level competitions.

“But for these medium level teams, I think it is intelligent if you do it. I don’t think he will score every weekend or finish with 40 goals but if he scores 15 goals for them, it is fantastic.” http://breaking.tcm.ie/2005/09/16/story221214.html
    I think squad members with Chelsea are bound to get fustrated this year since its world cup year. The longer the season goes on the worse it will get IMHO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Mourinho pours cold water on Cole 'unrest' claim
    ADVERTISEMENT
    Click here!

click here to enlarge
    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has vehemently denied midfielder Joe Cole wants a move away from Stamford Bridge.

A HAPPY ship is a successful ship and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho moved swiftly yesterday to dismiss suggestions that there was dissent festering in the Stamford Bridge camp.

Mourinho could not have been more emphatic in ridiculing reports that England midfielder Joe Cole wanted to leave the club after failing to secure a regular starting place this season.

"For me, it is rubbish journalism," Mourinho said. "The story says it is from a source, a friend, maybe a friend of a friend. It is unbelievable, I don't understand it. What is the story? There is no story?

"Have I spoken to Joe? No. For what? Joe has always been very open and came to see me in my office maybe three or four times last season. I had things to change in his game and I told him that he had to improve on this and on that. It was about change.

"This season, he has not come to see me. If he does, I will say that he has played in six of our seven games. Anyway, if a player did want to leave, he should have spoken to me last month when the transfer window was open. Now it is closed."

Despite Mourinho's denial, it is believed that Cole, whose contract expires at the end of next season, is unsettled at Stamford Bridge. He feels that, after taking the advice of Mourinho, he progressed markedly towards the end of the last campaign. However, with the arrival of Michael Essien and Shaun Wright-Phillips during the summer, he now considers that he is back to square one. After one "amicable" meeting about a new contract, he is not due to resume discussions until next year.

If Cole is agitating behind the scenes, rather than knocking again on the door of Mourinho's office, he should perhaps consider the implications. He need look no farther than team-mate Ricardo Carvalho, who spoke of his frustration about not playing while on international duty with Portugal last month and received a fine of two weeks' wages, about £100,000, for his comments.

Carvalho finally returned to the starting line-up on Wednesday - his absence was because of a calf problem, the club said - but only because William Gallas had to switch from central defence to left back to cover for the injured Asier Del Horno. That Carvalho shares the same adviser, Jorge Mendes, as his manager did little to dilute Mourinho's displeasure.

Since Carvalho's outburst, Mourinho's players have been reminded of the club policy that, when they are away with their national teams, they should restrict their remarks to international rather than Chelsea matters. "Ricardo was with Portugal," Mourinho said. "He was in a different space. But the players have to forget Chelsea when they go with their national teams. They have to protect themselves.

"It is frustrating when players don't come directly to me with their problems.

"If they are not happy, if they have doubts, they know that I am always open to communication. Ricardo is now playing because we need him to play. I don't look back and say 'because of what you did, I won't use you'. It's over. What happened, happened. No problem."

Chelsea have come under a barrage of criticism for playing unexciting football this season, but Mourinho insisted that he is very happy with the way they are performing, adding he felt no obligation to tell them to entertain.

"Obligation is not a word in my footballing vocabulary," he said.

"In my vocabulary the words are: work, be professional, do your best, work with quality, commitment and enthusiasm and respect. That's what I promise.

"Our style is a winning style. Sometimes the winning style is to play very good quality attacking football, sometimes it is to control the opposition, but it is always to play on the weaknesses of the opponent and not to give them what they want." (© The Times, London)

Russell Kempson
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=13010
    Personally I think this is going to be a running thread this season in the English PL. Its the third player to either have said something or has been linked to something. I just wonder who will be next

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    100% record and no goals conceded dont see it as much of a problem at the moment
    In Trap we trust