Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Greece - Tuesday, 10th September 2024 - UEFA Nations League

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    885 Posts

Republic of Ireland v Greece - Tuesday, 10th September 2024 - UEFA Nations League

Coleman out, Festy in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Ferguson not ready for a start on Tuesday according to HH.

I think I'd pick

---------Kelleher
    O'Shea - Collins - O'Brien - Scales
    ---Browne--Molumby--Knight
    --Ogbene--Szmodics--McAteer

Parrott unlucky not to start but we can only pick 11
    Robinson close to consideration for McAteer's position
    Midfield solid & physical first & foremost
    Defence solid and physical

And unrelated, Grealish was magnificent in his free central role on Saturday. But I think Pep and Southgate see him as a wide player. I wonder would Mikey J be able to do the same thing for us?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    885 Posts
    That's a decent team. Personally would still pick Smallbone, I think the setup was the problem more than him on Saturday. Would push Knight further forward and hold McAteer back as a sub. But otherwise that team looks about right.

The actual team will look nothing like that of course.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Two day turnaround so can’t make too much change, (and also without undermining everything that’s gone before). But extra body in the middle is foremost in my mind. Knight for Idah. Also would keep Smallbone in the team. I think you just need a Smallbone to link play and hopefully keep possession. Molumby's and Knight’s aggression and energy gives him more of the opportunity to do that. He’s capable of getting a goal as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    no more 3-5-2

kelleher
    oshea collins o'brien scales
    ogbene molumby smallbone browne knight
    szmodics

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    doherty is brutal but i expect him to start at right back. i'd have o'shea in ahead of scales for brady, just don't fancy scales at full back and o'shea is at least quick.

idah offered nothing on saturday so would like to see him start this one on the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    759 Posts
    Yeah, Scales has struggled at full back since leaving the LoI. He's a centre half at international level. He could probably fill in there in a pinch, but I would sooner experiment with O'Shea there than Scales.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    d also without undermining everything that’s gone before
    I think everything that went before has undermined itself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Yeah, Scales has struggled at full back since leaving the LoI. He's a centre half at international level. He could probably fill in there in a pinch, but I would sooner experiment with O'Shea there than Scales.
    Yep, I thought Scales was poor at left wing back when picked there before looking good when replacing Collins at left CB (can't remember which game though - Belgium?). But orthodox left back might suit him better. But I'd be happy with O'Shea there and I'd have more confidence Doc can perform better at orthodox RB than at RWB.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    (and also without undermining everything that’s gone before)
    You don't think hacking it vaguely towards Idah ( or nobody at all in some cases ) and passing numbers a fraction of before has already ticked that box, no ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    HH sends Sheasy out to do todays presser with a predictable outcome.

John O'Shea faced a grilling at FAI headquarters this morning regarding who was currently in charge of the Ireland team, ahead of Tuesday’s UEFA Nations League clash with Greece.

Ireland come into the game off the back of a comprehensive defeat to England on Saturday evening, and while Heimir Hallgrimsson has said that he was taking a back seat for these opening games, O’Shea emphsised that it was the Icelandic coach who was firmly in charge of affairs.

When asked about Hallgrimsson’s absence from the pre-match press conference ahead of tomorrow's game, O'Shea said that the plan for him to attend was already in place.

The head coach is expected to talk to the media on the day before the game, however, on this occasion, the assistant coach, O’Shea, attended the media briefing at the Sport Ireland Campus in his place, accompanied by goalkeeper Caoimhín Kelleher.

"It's very simple, this plan was in place beforehand and it's obviously to give the boss as much time in terms of preparation, the quick turnaround in the games, that was always the case so there is no change in anything," said O’Shea.

"No fear at all," replied the former interim manager, when asked would it lead to confusion among the players as who is in charge.

"The boss is the boss and there are clear lines on that. As I mentioned, this is the plan that was in place beforehand, and we felt there was no reason to change it."

When pushed for further insight into the choice of candidate for media duties, considering UEFA regulations state the manager/head coach must speak to the media on eve of game, barring suspension, O’Shea was adamant that he was neither the boss nor did he consider his position as a leading role.

"It’s not a leading role, I’m the assistant," said O’Shea. "The leader is the boss and that is clear.

"The full focus on the plan beforehand, this was always in place in our itinerary so that was always the case…it’s a quick turnaround when you are trying to get things sorted and this was always the case, that was the plan beforehand and it is full focus on Greece.

"It’s clear, I’m the assistant," again, O’Shea having to respond to another question about confusion in the camp.

"I don’t know why there has to be this constant, the boss is the boss, it’s very simple. The players know that, you can ask Caoimhín about that. The meetings that were coming across, the plans in place.

"So I don’t know why you have to keep going on about that. For me personally, it’s clear from the staff’s point of view and the players’ point of view

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024...hos-in-charge/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    You don't think hacking it vaguely towards Idah ( or nobody at all in some cases ) and passing numbers a fraction of before has already ticked that box, no ?
    Sure, agree. :-) Thinking how best to salvage the situation we find ourselves in. A loss to Greece puts us odds for relegation imo. Given we have played the same way the last five games, and presumably all training work has been done to play that specific formation, abandoning it with a two-day turnaround for a make-or-break game is not what I’d do. I’d keep changes to the minimum but drop Idah for Knight, and put that extra body in the middle. That doesn’t really compromise what’s been done off the field up to now, but addresses the main weakness England exploited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Sure, agree. :-) Thinking how best to salvage the situation we find ourselves in. A loss to Greece puts us odds for relegation imo. Given we have played the same way the last five games, and presumably all training work has been done to play that specific formation, abandoning it with a two-day turnaround for a make-or-break game is not what I’d do. I’d keep changes to the minimum but drop Idah for Knight, and put that extra body in the middle. That doesn’t really compromise what’s been done off the field up to now, but addresses the main weakness England exploited.
    Well I read a quote from him today that one of the three CBs should push into midfield when the numbers allow it. Which is a start, its looking at the right problem anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Well I read a quote from him today that one of the three CBs should push into midfield when the numbers allow it. Which is a start, its looking at the right problem anyway.
    That’s something we did when Barry was assistant to good effect. But it’s something that is done in possession. Which is another problem area to add to teams playing through us with ease. It’s a mess, and made worse by O’Shea speaking today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    It’s a mess, and made worse by O’Shea speaking today.
    Well it'll certainly do until the mess gets here.

In other news Marc Canham has been promoted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    John O’Shea. “The boss is the boss … you can ask Caoimhin about that”. Looks at Caoimhin, Caoimhin gives a quick smirk, nod and looks at his feet.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    I think if HH was taking over my office, I'd be very happy with his sit back and observe and see how things operate approach. It makes sense in that sort of environment not to make sweeping changes and risk upsetting things for the sake of it. But in terms of managing an international football team, I just don't see how it works. The whole point of appointing him was to refresh things and try something a bit different, Stephen Kenny tried things and changed things, but had very limited success. At least everyone knew Kenny wanted to play more possession football and wanted to play a more modern style. Clearly it wasn't working and HH was appointed to try and fix it, so just sitting back and observing the status quo is almost inexcusable. I can maybe see why he wanted to push away expectations for the England game, it was always going to be a loss so he might as well just say he's relying on the assistants and let them take the hit.

For the Greece game, he has to take the reigns now. Sitting back and watching more of the same is not going to teach him anything. All he had to do was watch the 4 friendlies under O'Shea if he needed evidence that change was needed. The England game has underlined that further. If there's no evidence of an actual game plan and some strategic thinking in terms or personnel and shape then things are looking very bleak.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    919 Posts
    Whole situation is a farce. It seems the FAI wanted to appoint JOS, they found a way to do it by appointment of a fake front man and Canham has gotten a promotion for doing it.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Clearly it wasn't working and HH was appointed to try and fix it, so just sitting back and observing the status quo is almost inexcusable. I can maybe see why he wanted to push away expectations for the England game, it was always going to be a loss so he might as well just say he's relying on the assistants and let them take the hit.

For the Greece game, he has to take the reigns now. Sitting back and watching more of the same is not going to teach him anything. All he had to do was watch the 4 friendlies under O'Shea if he needed evidence that change was needed. The England game has underlined that further. If there's no evidence of an actual game plan and some strategic thinking in terms or personnel and shape then things are looking very bleak.
    There was some startings of discontent during the second half of the England game - general moans at another aimless hoof up the pitch that was about 40 yards away from anyone in a green shirt - and while I think England was always a free hit, I wonder if the performance against Greece is as ropey as Saturday, and if people latch on to the "Learning on the job" aspect of things, could you see the crowd turning on him maybe by the end of the Nations League?

Hope it doesn't come to that obviously, but the initial groundwork seems laid for it anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Put a tent over that circus, complete clown show.

The real crime is how boring we are. Sports is supposed to be fun. Zzz zzz zzz zzz unwatchable.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast