Premier Division:
    Bohemians vs Shelbourne (19:45)

First Division (all 19:45)
    Athlone Town vs Finn Harps
    Cobh Ramblers vs Wexford
    Longford Town vs Bray Wanderers
    Treaty United vs Kerry
    UCD vs Cork City

Obviously a pivotal game in the Premier which needs no introduction, even if Bohs appear to be edging away from the play-off trapdoor, but Shels have little margin for error in their title tussle with the Candystripes. Cork can clinch the First Division title with a win at Belfield, but any less will see promotion delayed until their trip to Mounthawk Park, where Galway won the second tier last season. Treaty will be keen to rebound after their off night against Bray, with the battle between Kerry and Longford to avoid the wooden spoon the other theme of the night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    If Cork win tonight they'll have won the league a game earlier than we did last season but that's more to do with the other teams having been so far off compared to Waterford.

On that for the whole season most people have thought that winning the playoff will be a formality for the Premier side but with UCD, Bray and Wexford all starting to find form possibly by the time it comes around they'll be a different prospect. UCD, in particular, with Ronan Finn back fit again and their cup win up in Sligo look like they could give Drogs or Dundalk a game.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I know Dundalk have more immediate concerns, and the pitch is tangentially related to what is to come, but having watched the game last night, it is worse the pitch is getting, it ruins every match I've watched. Really adds a level of chaos and a difficulty to control the ball or read the bounce on it, that in some ways can be a great leveler, and I can see why Dundalk are very tough to beat there. I think they actually played very well, especially for the first half an hour, putting extreme pressure on, and causing problems until Pat's got to grips with things. Also should have gotten a penalty in the end, but otherwise Pat's probably should have already been 3-1 up at that point.

Corner flag broke at one stage and some poor young lad had to spend 2 exruciatingly long minutes trying to fix it on his own in front of a couple thousand laughing spectators before Robbie Benson bailed him out
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 06/09/2024 at 2:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Derry 44 (played 26)
    Shels 42 (25)
    Sligo 39 (26)
    Sham R 35 (24)
    Galway 33 (25)
    Waterford 33 (26)
    Pats 31 (25)
    Bohs 31 (25)
    Drogs 21 (26

With thanks to Patsdad an updated league table with the * after Bohs beat Shels tonight
    All to play for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    That Kennys team were able to play good football on that abomination of a pitch says it all about how good they were

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    That Kennys team were able to play good football on that abomination of a pitch says it all about how good they were
    I'm still not ruling them out of top 4 at this point. Playing everyone above them one more time before the season ends. Very different team pre and post Vaduz I would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    I'm still not ruling them out of top 4 at this point. Playing everyone above them one more time before the season ends. Very different team pre and post Vaduz I would say.
    I think they get 4th. Just getting more and more consistent and the team most likely to go on a run.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    They're only five points off third as it stands. Granted, Rovers have two games in hand, but they can't find form at all. Pat's have 10 points in their last four games. If that's Kenny's influence (rather than blind luck - and I think it is Kenny's influence) then a five point gap with a full round of games to go is very surmountable.

Also echo JC's comments about the play-off looking more interesting as the weeks go on. The form table for the top five is interesting - of the last five games for each of them, there's 15 wins, six draws and four defeats. Athlone account for three of those defeats and two of those draws.

Obviously hoping Cork don't win the title tonight, though it is a formality. We're on four clean sheets in a row - think it's 2010 since we last bettered that. Maguire and Keating will be a test for us obviously - but a good one at that ahead of Bohs next week in the Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Well was on about his Dundalk team but yeah Pats are flying it

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Well was on about his Dundalk team but yeah Pats are flying it
    Ha, I completely read that backwards so. Yeah you're right, I do think the pitch was a bit better back then, it's absolutely cat now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I know Dundalk have more immediate concerns, and the pitch is tangentially related to what is to come, but having watched the game last night, it is worse the pitch is getting, it ruins every match I've watched. Really adds a level of chaos and a difficulty to control the ball or read the bounce on it, that in some ways can be a great leveler, and I can see why Dundalk are very tough to beat there. I think they actually played very well, especially for the first half an hour, putting extreme pressure on, and causing problems until Pat's got to grips with things. Also should have gotten a penalty in the end, but otherwise Pat's probably should have already been 3-1 up at that point.

Corner flag broke at one stage and some poor young lad had to spend 2 exruciatingly long minutes trying to fix it on his own in front of a couple thousand laughing spectators before Robbie Benson bailed him out
    I’m glad someone else said it. Dundalks pitch is an abomination, and shouldn’t be allowed. Same for Derry’s too btw. Just relieved we got the points last night, but it’s impossible to play well on those pitches. Dundalk did cause us some problems in the first half, and we couldn’t pass the ball for the first half hour or so. Better in the second half, but it was just a matter of grinding out a result. Like you, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good game on either Dundalk or Derry’s pitches. Not to wish Dundalk ill, but if they do go down at least there will be one less of those excuses for a football pitch in the Premier division. If I had my way I’d ban them outright.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They're only five points off third as it stands. Granted, Rovers have two games in hand, but they can't find form at all. Pat's have 10 points in their last four games. If that's Kenny's influence (rather than blind luck - and I think it is Kenny's influence) then a five point gap with a full round of games to go is very surmountable.
    We do seem to have turned a corner. The side is more settled now, and I think that’s a factor. Axel Sjoberg has had a run of games for the first time and has been terrific, Tom Grivosti is back and doing very well and Jake Mulraney is reborn under SK. Looks a different player. Add to that the impact of Elbouzedi and I think that explains the improvement. The run of games in Europe has helped too. The signs are good that SK is turning things around. As regards Europe, it’s not so much the five point gap, it’s that there are a number of teams between us and third/fourth. It could go down to the wire, and we cant afford to drop too many more points.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I think they get 4th. Just getting more and more consistent and the team most likely to go on a run.
    As soon as SK took over I was convinced they'd get 4th and would win the league next year.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Best half from Bohs this year, but no goal. We've also the ability to concede a goal out of nothing, so in the balance.
    Shels aren't convincing so far, but game of two halves and all that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Shels win the league the same night as Cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    Athlone 1-4 Harps

What on earth is going on in Athlone lately?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Shels win the league the same night as Cork
    Whoops

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,348 Posts
    It's another point closer in fairness.

Well done Cork. I know there's been a lot of comment that they're nothing special (and the rest of the division is worse) but you can't argue with winning the title six games out. Four very tight games with them over the season and really should have gotten more than we did out of them (1 point? Maybe 2?) - but then that's the sign of a good team I guess; keep plodding away and grinding out the results

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Great performance from Bohs tonight, the better team by a mile. The turnaround since the cup game against Kerry has been something else. Getting Devoy and Tierney back makes us a different team altogether if we can add a decent striker I would be cautiously optimistic about next year.
    Last edited by RealJohn91; 06/09/2024 at 9:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Very important win for us this evening,first away win since the 29th of March and keeps us within touching distance,need to win next week again to keep us in the mix aswell though….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast