Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Games Weekend 23rd ti 25th August

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I'd personally think the best gauge of a leagues standard is how good the mid table teams are. That's why I'd rate the EPL as the best league in the world the SPL as a fairly average league even though the top 2 would give them a high ranking in the coefficient.

With that in mind I'd say the league has stayed fairly static quality wise in the last 3 years.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    ****ing happened, took off his best hopped into the stand and started beating some poor kid. Dragged off by the cops before the Galway crowd killed him, mad ****er.
    Similar incident reported during a women’s game last week between the same clubs, another dodgy steward!
    Who the hell are doing security down there!!!8

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I don't get it why people are saying that the standard in the league is rubbish this year.
    Because the league leaders got dumped out of Europe by a Gibraltar side? Because the three dominant teams of the last decade or so - Cork, Dundalk and Rovers - are in various stages of serious decline and nobody's really taken their place as yet (Pat's are threatening to)? Because there's no real proven goalscorer? (The top scorers are on 10 plus a couple of penalties after 28 rounds)

It certainly isn't anywhere near the best quality the LoI has ever been. The UCD team currently second in the First Division has no-one comparable to, say, Colm Whelan, Liam Kerrigan (2021 promotion team), Gary O'Neill, Liam Scales, Neil Farrugia, Georgie Kelly (2018 promotion team), Andy Boyle, Ciarán Kilduff, Greg Bolger, Dave McMillan, Evan McMillan (2009 promotion team), and so on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Because the league leaders got dumped out of Europe by a Gibraltar side? Because the three dominant teams of the last decade or so - Cork, Dundalk and Rovers - are in various stages of serious decline and nobody's really taken their place as yet (Pat's are threatening to)? Because there's no real proven goalscorer? (The top scorers are on 10 plus a couple of penalties after 28 rounds)

It certainly isn't anywhere near the best quality the LoI has ever been. The UCD team currently second in the First Division has no-one comparable to, say, Colm Whelan, Liam Kerrigan (2021 promotion team), Gary O'Neill, Liam Scales, Neil Farrugia, Georgie Kelly (2018 promotion team), Andy Boyle, Ciarán Kilduff, Greg Bolger, Dave McMillan, Evan McMillan (2009 promotion team), and so on.
    Also worth noting the long time league leaders (Shels) were averaging just slightly above a goal a game, current league leaders (Derry) have serious questions marks over their manager and seem to be on top of the league in spite of themselves averaging 1.75 points a game. Looking at the top 5 leagues last year it was over 2 points per game to win the league and in some cases to even finish second. This low points per game could be the sign of a strong league but anyone who watches the league will know that this is because there is no consistent teams in the league. I'd wager outside of the newly promoted sides & Shels there are very few fans who are happy with their league performances this season. It's an exciting league for sure but the quality is lacking this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    A lack of consistency can be because of a lack of a clear hierarchy, not that teams are bad.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    True, but the lack of a hierarchy is to an extent because the good teams have gone to the dogs lately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    One thing the league has now that it never had is a proper academy system... Meaning squads are bigger with a bit more quality on the fringes.

Wasn't long ago there were very few youth players around first teams, with benches not being filled frequently. Or, if there was a youth player, it would be a token gesture.

Maybe there are less top players now in the league, I don't know.. But there is definitely multiples more players at a certain LOI standard.

Dundalk, hardly famous for its underage production, had 5 academy players on the pitch vs Drogheda, and none looked out of place. That's even after losing Senan Mullen to Torino in the off-season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Dundalk, hardly famous for its underage production, had 5 academy players on the pitch vs Drogheda, and none looked out of place. That's even after losing Senan Mullen to Torino in the off-season.
    Equally, you could argue that's why ye're bottom of the league now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Equally, you could argue that's why ye're bottom of the league now...
    Sigh...Well... No... that's just a very silly thing to say.

We have a lot of other dross in the squad, had 5 managers, had 4 keepers , and can not score goals.

Anyways, just to help you with the post, I can explain this a little clearer for you:

It was the use of an example to highlight a larger trend in the League.

I am sure every team in the league has more talents in their squad, especially on the bench, because of their academy. This is probably something novel in recent LOI compared to the 2000s and 2010s, and is worth bringing up to talk about the standard of LOI (ie. The higher quality of youth players in the league.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I am definitely still on the weaker to mid teams are as strong as they've ever been side of the fence. The PD overall has great strength and depth. There can be arguments about whether you like the style of some of the teams, or if you think the managers are getting the best out of players, but the player pool itself is in a pretty good place, and I'd expect as academies grow and mature the player pool will continue in a positive trend. We'll always lose the best players, but the true strength of the league will come from the base level of what's left behind. Derry losing in Gibraltar is an easy stick to beat the entire league with, if you take it in isolation and ignore the 7th placed team drawing with a Turkish side. **** happens.

I think that has lead to a bit of a brain drain from the First Division thou. It's certainly considerably weaker now that it doesn't have Galway/Waterford.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    I am definitely still on the weaker to mid teams are as strong as they've ever been side of the fence. The PD overall has great strength and depth. There can be arguments about whether you like the style of some of the teams, or if you think the managers are getting the best out of players, but the player pool itself is in a pretty good place, and I'd expect as academies grow and mature the player pool will continue in a positive trend. We'll always lose the best players, but the true strength of the league will come from the base level of what's left behind. Derry losing in Gibraltar is an easy stick to beat the entire league with, if you take it in isolation and ignore the 7th placed team drawing with a Turkish side. **** happens.

I think that has lead to a bit of a brain drain from the First Division thou. It's certainly considerably weaker now that it doesn't have Galway/Waterford.
    I dunno I think the wages are better but I think the player pool has suffered a hit in recent seasons with lots of players leaving for l1/l2. Strikers for example are a need for almost every club in the league. Full backs are a problem for lots of clubs. Keeper as well is a problem for a few teams as highlighted by the blunders thread. Central midfield is probably the only area that I would say is well stocked within the league between good young players & seasoned veterans.

I think the player quality is going to go in peaks and valleys for the foreseeable future unless there are drastic changes for clubs finances, leagues profile and probably things like European qualification that will make the league more desirable to players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I think a lot of those issues have always existed, and will continue to for the foreseeable until there's another major jump in investment in to the league. We just had a couple of stronger teams swatting everyone aside and assumed because they're dominating it must mean the league is good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Sigh...Well... No... that's just a very silly thing to say.

We have a lot of other dross in the squad, had 5 managers, had 4 keepers , and can not score goals.

Anyways, just to help you with the post, I can explain this a little clearer for you:

It was the use of an example to highlight a larger trend in the League.

I am sure every team in the league has more talents in their squad, especially on the bench, because of their academy. This is probably something novel in recent LOI compared to the 2000s and 2010s, and is worth bringing up to talk about the standard of LOI (ie. The higher quality of youth players in the league.)
    Not silly at all. Yeah, there's dross - four keepers, can't score goals. But if ye're starting five academy guys, you can't put all the blame on the keeper/forwards. Conceding possession in midfield leads to more chances for the opposition leads to more chance of the keeper making an error. It's a team game after all.

I don't agree every team in the league has more "talents" in their squad. First off, I've shown UCD don't. Bohs are signing random players from the continent (some of whom have already been sent packing) because they don't seem to trust their academy players. Rovers' squad is ageing because they don't seem to trust their academy players enough.

But anyway, these guys would have found their way to the LoI anyway - they'd just have signed from Cherry Orchard or Home Farm or Kevin's Boys or Joey's or whoever. The link with the LoI clubs is great, but I'm not sure it's led to an influx of talent as such. And of course Brexit means young players tend to stay here a further two years and then jump ship, which is a help, though it feels a hindrance when you look at the amount of 18-year-olds going from LoI first team to foreign academy.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I think a lot of those issues have always existed, and will continue to for the foreseeable until there's another major jump in investment in to the league. We just had a couple of stronger teams swatting everyone aside and assumed because they're dominating it must mean the league is good
    So I agree a lot of these issues have existed throughout the lifetime of the league but I think they are exceptionally pronounced now. Let's take a good LOI player who has retired as an example.

Would Dinny Corcoran play his full career in the LOI now. 2014 he had a 1 year deal with a Bohs team battling relegation. Scored 13 goals and had 4 assists. Dinny is a Bohs legend in my opinion and a fantastic player in his own right but he was part time for the majority of his career. I think LOI was his level

Promise Omechere went over on the back of 5 goals and 3 assists in the league playing as a striker for a better Bohs team

Afolabi had 15 goals and 5 assists and was snapped up for a significant fee.

If a player like Dinny Corcoran who was a very good LOI player couldn't get a move across the water after arguably better returns than some more recent movers from the same team then I would say the perception of the league has changed but actually the overall quality has dipped because the better players aren't staying as long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    So I agree a lot of these issues have existed throughout the lifetime of the league but I think they are exceptionally pronounced now. Let's take a good LOI player who has retired as an example.

Would Dinny Corcoran play his full career in the LOI now. 2014 he had a 1 year deal with a Bohs team battling relegation. Scored 13 goals and had 4 assists. Dinny is a Bohs legend in my opinion and a fantastic player in his own right but he was part time for the majority of his career. I think LOI was his level

Promise Omechere went over on the back of 5 goals and 3 assists in the league playing as a striker for a better Bohs team

Afolabi had 15 goals and 5 assists and was snapped up for a significant fee.

If a player like Dinny Corcoran who was a very good LOI player couldn't get a move across the water after arguably better returns than some more recent movers from the same team then I would say the perception of the league has changed but actually the overall quality has dipped because the better players aren't staying as long.
    Would a lot of that not be down to firstly UK clubs having both more money than ever before, they're mostly unprofitable basket cases, but taking chances on LOI players is still a very low risk strategy, but also a far reduced playing pool to sign players from, Brexit has really limited who lower league clubs can go for, so they're taking the Irish market much more seriously, that with young players getting a lot of first team minutes, and underage international sides doing well, I imagine young players like Promise here are looked on a lot more favorably than they would have been previously.

Afolabi was a huge talent at underage level, that people expected more of, he has a much higher profile than the average LOI player I'd imagine, so someone who would have been watched more eagerly and the second he was doing well he was always going to have options, I have no idea who his agent is, but I'd imagine they're more connected than anyone Dinny ever had looking after him, and as mentioned in Dinny's time UK clubs had a far larger playing pool to go for. Look how long it took Jason Byrne to leave the league in his heyday. Agents are something that has definitely become a far more central aspect in the league in recent times.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 26/08/2024 at 1:57 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Would a lot of that not be down to firstly UK clubs having both more money than ever before, they're mostly unprofitable basket cases, but taking chances on LOI players is still a very low risk strategy, but also a far reduced playing pool to sign players from, Brexit has really limited who lower league clubs can go for, so they're taking the Irish market much more seriously, that with young players getting a lot of first team minutes, and underage international sides doing well, I imagine young players like Promise here are looked on a lot more favorably than they would have been previously.

Afolabi was a huge talent at underage level, that people expected more of, he has a much higher profile than the average LOI player I'd imagine, so someone who would have been watched more eagerly and the second he was doing well he was always going to have options, I have no idea who his agent is, but I'd imagine they're more connected than anyone Dinny ever had looking after him, and as mentioned in Dinny's time UK clubs had a far larger playing pool to go for. Look how long it took Jason Byrne to leave the league in his heyday. Agents are something that has definitely become a far more central aspect in the league in recent times.
    This is kind of my point though. UK clubs now see LOI as a low risk high reward signing & they have a limited market because of Brexit rules. Agents are seeing this and getting more involved in LOI as well. So the slightly above average LOI players (Like Dinny) who would have played their entire careers here previously are now getting a chance in the UK. But that drains a lot of quality from the league very quickly so while wages are almost certainly better now than 10 years ago I don't think the quality of player is. Another example is Conan Byrne he had a season where he scored 18 league goals for Pats, he wasn't top scorer that year either by the way, and he never played for a team outside of the island of Ireland! Aaron Greene, Christy Fagan, Mark Farren, Ronan Finn, Killian Brennan, I'm sure plenty others I'm forgetting, all of these lads, if they were to come through now would more than likely go to the English leagues as it stands they played all their senior careers in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    This is kind of my point though. UK clubs now see LOI as a low risk high reward signing & they have a limited market because of Brexit rules. Agents are seeing this and getting more involved in LOI as well. So the slightly above average LOI players (Like Dinny) who would have played their entire careers here previously are now getting a chance in the UK. But that drains a lot of quality from the league very quickly so while wages are almost certainly better now than 10 years ago I don't think the quality of player is. Another example is Conan Byrne he had a season where he scored 18 league goals for Pats, he wasn't top scorer that year either by the way, and he never played for a team outside of the island of Ireland! Aaron Greene, Christy Fagan, Mark Farren, Ronan Finn, Killian Brennan, I'm sure plenty others I'm forgetting, all of these lads, if they were to come through now would more than likely go to the English leagues as it stands they played all their senior careers in Ireland.
    I see your point, I do think there's still a lot of players comparable to everyone you listed in the league right now thou. As for guys who are around 20-23 now. We can't really compare until they're in their 30's and we can see how their careers shaped up V to the guys you listed.

The brain drain could get even more extreme as time passes and we end up with an incredibly unbalanced league full of 18 and 30 year olds but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    We won the league last year and it was a bad year , this year the league is going to be won by either Derry or Shels with the lowest total ever.
    Rovers are predictable and poor in general this year hence why we are mid table, Shels are consistant and poor and Derry are inconsistant and poor.
    At this stage ill take 3rd and Eurppe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I don't think there's any great difference in quality/standard than usual, just how it's spread out. As much as there's the argument made of more players leaving for L1/L2 clubs, some of those in recent years have been the likes of Rory Feely, Ciaran Kelly etc, who without wanting to be seen to be slagging off haven't exactly been huge losses to the league, nor has it been reflected in how they've performed since leaving. Meanwhile you're seeing players like Romal Palmer, Ellis Chapman and so forth playing in the league who have good experience at that same level (and in some cases at an even higher one) coming in, so it can work both ways.

For me there's just been poor squad building in the league and it's reflected in a lot of teams. Rovers have plenty of talent yet decided to go with Pohls as #1, Bohs are strong in certain areas of the pitch yet have been a mess in how they've recruited in both the defensive and striker positions, Daly made a bit of a hash of things with Pats in the off season, Derry often make some questionable decisions given their expectations/budget etc. But there's still plenty of good players in those teams and dotted around the league generally. The closest thing approaching a consensus at the moment is that the top of the league is weak relative to usual but the mid-to-bottom of it is better and I think that's a fair take on it.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    There's a video going around, it's not a good look for Rovers.
    Rovers statement on the rogue steward
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...016354581.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast