Thread: Thomas Byrne Interview

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts

Thomas Byrne Interview

Pretty awful stuff: https://x.com/offtheball/status/1825921986981474809

Obviously there have been issues on FAI side (but hey FF literally bankrupted the country so there's that as well) but this level of contempt is worrying.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Pretty awful stuff: https://x.com/offtheball/status/1825921986981474809

Obviously there have been issues on FAI side (but hey FF literally bankrupted the country so there's that as well) but this level of contempt is worrying.
    It is very dismissive yes. Hopefully intended as an opening position in a good long haggle, but he personally wouldn't loan them a fiver by his tone there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    The chap opened and closed his mouth 10 times before actually speaking. He was absolutely itching to get his dismissals thrown out there
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    What annoys me with this the most is how in bed FF were with John Delaney. They enabled decades of mismanagement, but now are willing to wipe their hands of the mess.

Also, the pure clientalism at play. There is no joined up thinking, just we give you 'x' , athletics 'x' ... and so forth. We need investment in long term infrastructure, not short term relief, for all sports.

Finally, what also super annoys me is the money that the Government gives to Horse and Dog racing goes into prizes, not infrastructure. That is just wasted public money.

6. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I didn't see a whole lot wrong with what he said. I wouldn't give the FAI a penny. And he's spot on about structures, way too many district leagues, each with their own expenses brigade.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Finally, what also super annoys me is the money that the Government gives to Horse and Dog racing goes into prizes, not infrastructure. That is just wasted public money.
    That's where you need the interviewer to pin him on that exact thing and its participation numbers, employment numbers & that it keeps nobody fit & healthy.
    It was all too easy for him there, and it needn't be. There is an obesity timebomb and his department are giving money to horse race prizes and not to the biggest participation sport on the island. Challenge him, he strolled through that saying whatever he liked.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    When football raises the money going to the horses and dogs we get told not to pitch sports against each other.

Now when the minister is questioned he immediately pitches football against Athletics and Swimming- effectively using the Olympics not as a reason to fund sport properly but as a stick to beat football with. And BTW I'd say the vast vast majority of people in Irish football would have no issue with other sports also being better funded as well. He seems to be just throwing mud at the FAI generally to defend the government's abysmal record on funding sport.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    He never has a positive attitude towards football/FAI in any interview. Bet they can't wait to see the back of him. Mickey from Athlone is not a fan and spells it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BijQB1lhct0
    "oh my, that was some beer we had last night, I think I feel like getting sick" Effin Eddie

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry 'da' Wyse View Post
    He never has a positive attitude towards football/FAI in any interview. Bet they can't wait to see the back of him. Mickey from Athlone is not a fan and spells it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BijQB1lhct0
    Well if that man is involved with Athlone Town as a whole, he sounds quite capable, possibly why their womens side won the cup last year and top the league currently and the mens having a tilt at promotion, for the questions on who is behind the club in another thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    We need investment in long term infrastructure, not short term relief, for all sports.
    Tbf, your Government promised €50m towards one notable infrastructure project not so long ago:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/20...ment-by-state/

Genuinely don't mean to drag this down a political route, but were I an ROI taxpayer, I think I'd be getting the pitchforks and flaming torches from out the shed...

While to be serious, this looks like a worthwhile project announced by Byrne the other day:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...tin-and-byrne/
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 21/08/2024 at 10:02 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    What have district leagues and indeed the FAI got to do with League clubs academies. The business case alone is strong...but let's muddy the waters with stuff outside of the LOI control

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Tbf, your Government promised €50m towards one notable infrastructure project not so long ago:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/20...ment-by-state/

Genuinely don't mean to drag this down a political route, but were I an ROI taxpayer, I think I'd be getting the pitchforks and flaming torches from out the shed...

While to be serious, this looks like a worthwhile project announced by Byrne the other day:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...tin-and-byrne/
    I dont think too many are happy about Casement even among GAA circles, though Louth struggling with getting the new County Gound funded that attitude maybe more a local Louth GAA opinion. and sure aren't we putting 600mil toward the upgrade of the A5 so that Derry and Harps have easier away trips!

Was delighted to see the Cricket Ireland facility green lit.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    What have district leagues and indeed the FAI got to do with League clubs academies. The business case alone is strong...but let's muddy the waters with stuff outside of the LOI control
    All these stupid leagues around the country suck money out of the game in fees paying for multiple admin setups and stop the co ordinated approach centrally to gettingva common calender and a viable pyramid. Massive waste of money and glad to see it called out

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    The interviewer needs to be a lot stronger, he was given a free rant with no counter. Its very convenient for him to compare football against athletics and others but no mention of the 100 million they give to horse racing and greyhounds, a lot of which is used for prize money for gambling. Of course no mention that football is the biggest participant sport in the state. We all pay our taxes.

For a FF man to use John Delaney is just ridiculous, if youre going to use historical failings of previous regimes then lets talk about Fianna Fail's record of running this country. And didn't FF ask JD to run as one of their candidates in the past. As I said interviewer needs to know what she is getting herelself into their and have balanced questions lined up.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    The interviewer needs to be a lot stronger, he was given a free rant with no counter. Its very convenient for him to compare football against athletics and others but no mention of the 100 million they give to horse racing and greyhounds, a lot of which is used for prize money for gambling. Of course no mention that football is the biggest participant sport in the state. We all pay our taxes.

For a FF man to use John Delaney is just ridiculous, if youre going to use historical failings of previous regimes then lets talk about Fianna Fail's record of running this country. And didn't FF ask JD to run as one of their candidates in the past. As I said interviewer needs to know what she is getting herelself into their and have balanced questions lined up.
    According to Delaney himself, though it is possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Indeed. He made a big deal out of LOI clubs being professional. Dog and horse racing are run as charities then, are they ? I’m sure they make multiples of LOI clubs, so why do they need massive support ? You can bet he wouldn’t have spoken in those terms about any other sport.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.