Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Games weekend 2nd August

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    I agree it was a penalty, soft one but still a peno. My biggest problem is there seems to be no consistency on reffing decisions. We've all seen attacking players dragged to the ground by their shirts on corners and nothing given or worse a free out because the ref thought they were both at it. Something needs to be done about the standard of refereeing in the league. The issues are obvious every week but there doesn't seem to be any change from the FAI. I think there will be a strong push from many of the clubs to break ties with the FAI citing things like refereeing and the current issues with the Bohs v Rovers cup game as obvious areas where the FAI have made a mess of things
    Exactly. Whatever your thoughts on what happened in Richmond, at the end of the day the refereeing is just poor (and that's being kind).

One thing that I think clubs should be pressing the FAI on is the Referee Assessor at each game. I believe that the Referees are being assessed by their colleagues at the minute. If the assessor isn't a third party independent person then their opinion is open to bias. Robber Hennessy is the top referee supposedly in the country, no way an understudy or peer in the refereeing fraternity of Ireland is gonna go against him.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    FAI have little power over the referees. They're totally independent
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    If we ever bring in VAR to the league of Ireland (hope not, its sport, human error is part of life), I think the assessors should be located on the Camac.
    Be interesting to see what the red card and penalty figures are for the games in Sligo and Terryland this week.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    FAI have little power over the referees. They're totally independent
    Are they a completely independent entity from the FAI? I'm fairly certain the assessors are FAI assessors, the FAI run referee training courses and seminars, the FAI oversee the disciplinary committee so can overturn any incorrect decisions regarding red cards/suspensions (in theory). They might be classed as independent contractors but since the FAI set the rules, runs training and assess performance of them there's only so independent they can be?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Home town refereeing? I get much more the impression that they generally detest all LoI sides or dont give a fiddlers at best!
    I was at the Gorey v UCD cup game last month and a couple of Gorey fans were giving out about the Dublin ref in charge of a game with a Dublin team.

Some people just want a moan about refereeing tbh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I was at the Gorey v UCD cup game last month and a couple of Gorey fans were giving out about the Dublin ref in charge of a game with a Dublin team.

It's like the time I had a Derry fan giving out to me about a Donegal man (Paul McLaughlin) being given the refereeing duties of a Harps v Derry game, without realising all of McLaughlins family are big Derry fans.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Funniest thing about that comment is that Rob Hennessy is from Limerick

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/s...s-evening.html
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Ive heard comments about Dublin refs for as long as Ive followed Dundalk and LoI and the only stand out home town refereeing was by a Dundalk ref and he slaughtered us in Oriel Park!! As the story goes, in the days before 4th officials, the match referee got injured. The referee assessor sitting in the stand was a Dundalk man and he had to tog out and take over refereeing the game. He made damn sure he couldnt be accused of home town bias!! Same ref did schools games and local leagues etc and had a memory like an elephant, I was yellow carded at U10 for being a bit gobby, told someone to F-off, walking on to a pitch at U18 that ref called me over to tell me he wouldnt tolerate any swearing. He knew every damn player and remembered who needed watching. Thats where refs can be quick to penalise a player - when they get a rep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    It's like the time I had a Derry fan giving out to me about a Donegal man (Paul McLaughlin) being given the refereeing duties of a Harps v Derry game, without realising all of McLaughlins family are big Derry fans.
    But then maybe because his family are all fans, he has to overcompensate when he's reffing us? Can't win.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Bohs fans, how's Alex Grieve doing?

When he moved from St Mirren, I thought he'd do very well - he's a very busy player and drifts into dangerous areas.

But Wiki says no goals in 3 games so far.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

When he moved from St Mirren, I thought he'd do very well - he's a very busy player and drifts into dangerous areas.

I was at their match against Dundalk and he didn’t do much. He had one nice turn and shot from the edge of the box that was saved, but can’t remember him doing anything else in the whole game. If he’s that good he’d wanna start proving it fast because Bobs are in dire need of a proper no.9.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

From what I've seen he'll be a good player at this level once he settles. I think we're still trying to figure out what his best position is. To me he looks like he'd suit a wide forwards role I don't think he's an out and out no.9. He drops to deep for that and wants to get involved with the build up play. He does get into dangerous positions though so that will translate to goals sooner rather than later

13. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567