Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Games Friday, 12th July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Athlone look like the best of the rest but hard to see them beating Dundalk or bohs if they get dragged in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Seems to me that Drogheda are trying to squirrell out of any responsibility for Friday night.

While talking about the incident, the Drogheda Chairman tries to blame the lack of relationship with Dundalk FC and the Gardai and a flag waver for 40 or so Drogheda fans trying to attack the home section. (Drogheda has a perfect relationship with the Gardai apparently according to her)

Though she says Drogheda will accept any sanctions from the FAI. Got me wondering if there has been a desicion made and if it will effect the FAI cup. It's now the Tuesday, so they are leaving it late if there is some action to be taking for that game.

Still think there should be a points deduction. Fines can be too abstract when it comes to crowd trouble. This way maybe Drogheda fans can start to self police a bit better.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    It happened in Oriel so surely Dundalk should be punished

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    It happened in Oriel so surely Dundalk should be punished
    Should Waterford also been punished when Shamrock Rovers hit a player with a firework?

Or Drogheda when a Shels fan hit a linesman with a flare?

I mean it's their security that failed to stop it from happening...

Never seen a club fail to actually confront a crowd issue like Drogheda does.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Seems to me that Drogheda are trying to squirrell out of any responsibility for Friday night.

While talking about the incident, the Drogheda Chairman tries to blame the lack of relationship with Dundalk FC and the Gardai and a flag waver for 40 or so Drogheda fans trying to attack the home section. (Drogheda has a perfect relationship with the Gardai apparently according to her)

Though she says Drogheda will accept any sanctions from the FAI. Got me wondering if there has been a desicion made and if it will effect the FAI cup. It's now the Tuesday, so they are leaving it late if there is some action to be taking for that game.

Still think there should be a points deduction. Fines can be too abstract when it comes to crowd trouble. This way maybe Drogheda fans can start to self police a bit better.
    Didn't hear the interview but I'm glad she's highlighted the gardai, their reaction (or lack of it) and attitude on Friday was a disgrace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Didn't hear the interview but I'm glad she's highlighted the gardai, their reaction (or lack of it) and attitude on Friday was a disgrace.
    She didn't blame the Gardai, she blamed Dundalks relationship with the Gardai

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Up until recently in Terryland, any away goal was followed by a mini pitch invasion. The talk among our fans was not criticising the fans but actually our own clubs security. A few changes were made and it hasn't happened since. Thankfully there was no serious incident.

Clubs have to assume that some away fans are knobheads and put barriers and security in place so nobody can enter the pitch. Clubs have to be responsible for what happens in their own premises.

If away fans that break the rules can be identified, then they should also be punished, of course.

In general though, what is the role of Gardaí inside stadiums? They seem to not get involved at all. For example, fireworks are illegal, but they don't do anything to people with fireworks inside grounds and seem to let the clubs stewards deal with it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

They have removed ticket sales for Dundalk fans since the weekend. Dundalk even deleted the tweet with the link to purchase tickets so god knows what's going on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    834 Posts
    She didn't blame the Gardai, she blamed Dundalks relationship with the Gardai
    Got listening to it there, I genuinely don't see what she said wrong in relation to the Gardai? The gardai were outside after telling anyone who asked that it wasn't their job, it was the stewards job despite the fact there clearly wasn't enough stewards on duty, that doesn't suggest a collaborative approach. Whereas the last louth derby I was at in Weavers Park, the super himself was there overseeing the entire operation.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Got listening to it there, I genuinely don't see what she said wrong in relation to the Gardai? The gardai were outside after telling anyone who asked that it wasn't their job, it was the stewards job despite the fact there clearly wasn't enough stewards on duty, that doesn't suggest a collaborative approach. Whereas the last louth derby I was at in Weavers Park, the super himself was there overseeing the entire operation.
    It's not addressing the issue or taking unequivocal responsibility for fixing the problem. It's blaming someone else.

Right, the Gardai were slow and unorganised. But them or the stewards didn't start anything - Drogheda fans acted independently without a spark - and Security is being blamed for not stopping it quick enough.

Again, it's been brewing for a while in the Drogheda crowd. There official 'ultras' gloating on Twitter about breaking into Oriel in the off-season, and displaying stolen flags at the last derby game.

Now to any adults... This is ridiculously stupid stuff.

But the best way to solve a problem is to prevent it from emerging.

What has Drogheda done to address their anti-social behaviour? Their answer is to blame someone else for not doing what they should be doing.

Again, how ridiculous is it that Drogheda have allowed an anti-social element from another club who don't even speak English into their sections? They go because they can do whatever they like at Drogheda without sanction.

In the end, every club will have to put more resources in security because of these fools, which is not being used to improve the actual league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    834 Posts
    It's not addressing the issue or taking unequivocal responsibility for fixing the problem. It's blaming someone else.

Right, the Gardai were slow and unorganised. But them or the stewards didn't start anything - Drogheda fans acted independently without a spark - and Security is being blamed for not stopping it quick enough.

Again, it's been brewing for a while in the Drogheda crowd. There official 'ultras' gloating on Twitter about breaking into Oriel in the off-season, and displaying stolen flags at the last derby game.

Now to any adults... This is ridiculously stupid stuff.

But the best way to solve a problem is to prevent it from emerging.

What has Drogheda done to address their anti-social behaviour? Their answer is to blame someone else for not doing what they should be doing.

Again, how ridiculous is it that Drogheda have allowed an anti-social element from another club who don't even speak English into their sections? They go because they can do whatever they like at Drogheda without sanction.

In the end, every club will have to put more resources in security because of these fools, which is not being used to improve the actual league.
    You could easily ask the same questions of Dundalk, lads who were fighting in Derry in 2019 and previously in Drogheda were front and centre on Friday and have boasted about such on socials, this has been brewing on both sides for some time now, friday needs to be a reset moment for the authority at both clubs to hand out serious bans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    You could easily ask the same questions of Dundalk, lads who were fighting in Derry in 2019 and previously in Drogheda were front and centre on Friday and have boasted about such on socials, this has been brewing on both sides for some time now, friday needs to be a reset moment for the authority at both clubs to hand out serious bans.
    That was 5 years ago, and there were no major events since with Dundalk. Certainly no angels in Dundalk, but that's independent from what happened last Friday night.

Just plain weird to 'both sides' this. It's honestly just a cop out to me.

Look, going around in circles and I said all I could say on it.

I have a feeling it will keep escalating though, and it's opening the gates for more sh*theads to do more sh*thead things (in this case for both sides...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    834 Posts
    That was 5 years ago, and there were no major events since with Dundalk. Certainly no angels in Dundalk, but that's independent from what happened last Friday night.

Just plain weird to 'both sides' this. It's honestly just a cop out to me.

Look, going around in circles and I said all I could say on it.

I have a feeling it will keep escalating though, and it's opening the gates for more sh*theads to do more sh*thead things (in this case for both sides...)
    The point is, the same faces appear on the pitch every time there's an incident at a Dundalk game yet nothing ever happens to happen, I've already said the Dundalk fan coming onto the pitch and goading the away fans is zero excuse for grown men to run on and fight, those Drogs fans were THE leading cause of the incident but poor security, starting with allowing that lad past the perimeter to wind up the Drogs was also high up on the leading factors list. Anyway, Kiki, I think we're on the same page in that we both want to go and enjoy football without this ****e going on.

My other half is steering clear on Friday for fear of what might go on, she was verbally abused by a group of grown men at the last derby in Drogheda, there appears to be a lack of grown ups in the room at the moment but hopefully it will be a bit of a reset moment as this incident had been building for a few seasons now between the two ultras groups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Security is rarelly actually secure where large crowds are involved and if people are determined to do what they want. We only have to look at the recent Euros and pitch invaders, Wembley at the Euro 20'20' final, one of they most secure stadiums in the world, Stade de France at a Champions League final albeit the issues there were a bit different. Serious failings in the US at Copa America recently also. All highly resourced, supposedly military like organisational set up, with the whole world watching. You cant go person to person, so what ratio of steward to imbecile is required?
    One of the main reasons given for te lack of focus on Drogs fans not getting on the pitch was that the majority were trying to leave the ground early against Garda instructions, Stewards and Gardai were trying to prevent 2 sets of fans leaving the ground at the same time and mixing - arguably a more dangerous situation with 'scarfers' going to be in the front line. I dont doubt the that there needs to be a review of the setup, clarification of the role of Gardai, and clubs getting over their inferiority complex and engage with a local rival rather than snipe about managers and thanking clubs for signing their players in pointed side swipes, and that goes back years peaking with the quite amusing LoI champions 2005 billboards in Dundalk. Hoey the younger was not a willing communicator, Hoey Senior conversely was always striving to co-operate in the best possible way for clubs and fans.

Certainly those that have influence with Dundalk shedside supporters groups should be brought in to Oriel and shown the cost of security and fines, money not spent on a football team - and threaten bans, too self important a bunch of them though to think they might actually be banned! It was great craic when a significant number were banned some years ago and they tried to get a mass boycott going. 20 or 30 stood around outside the garage then 5 minutes before ko all but the those banned headed in to the game - the look on the faces were priceless and the skulked off home in a huff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    The point is, the same faces appear on the pitch every time there's an incident at a Dundalk game yet nothing ever happens to happen, I've already said the Dundalk fan coming onto the pitch and goading the away fans is zero excuse for grown men to run on and fight, those Drogs fans were THE leading cause of the incident but poor security, starting with allowing that lad past the perimeter to wind up the Drogs was also high up on the leading factors list. Anyway, Kiki, I think we're on the same page in that we both want to go and enjoy football without this ****e going on.

My other half is steering clear on Friday for fear of what might go on, she was verbally abused by a group of grown men at the last derby in Drogheda, there appears to be a lack of grown ups in the room at the moment but hopefully it will be a bit of a reset moment as this incident had been building for a few seasons now between the two ultras groups.
    Johanna Byrne is a decent and admirable person that I have a lot of time for but I think she's called it wrong on this occasion!
    The Dundalk tifo flag waver- guy on the pitch at the end of the match..., he hops on there always whenever DUNDALK WIN(or grab a decent draw)and that's been proven!

Sorry to hear your o.h won't be be attending in Drogheda,and thats awful but drawdas fault for the biggesst part and now they'll be a huge presence of Garda for everyones sufferance!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    834 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Johanna Byrne is a decent and admirable person that I have a lot of time for but I think she's called it wrong on this occasion!
    The Dundalk tifo flag waver- guy on the pitch at the end of the match..., he hops on there always whenever DUNDALK WIN(or grab a decent draw)and that's been proven!

Sorry to hear your o.h won't be be attending in Drogheda,and thats awful but drawdas fault for the biggesst part and now they'll be a huge presence of Garda for everyones sufferance!!
    Again, I'm fully aware these lads are on the edge of the pitch after every game but he went onto the pitch with the flag between his legs and was making crude gestures to the away end with it, Anyone with a juvenile sense of humor like myself thought it was hilarious but the cavemen over the far side clearly didn't. Again, being wound up by opposition fans is no justification to invade the pitch but the stewards in the shed need to start controlling that area of the ground better, it's a free for all over there at times.

On Drogheda's statement the other night, I felt it was very weak.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Reading Stewie Byrnes comments on what happened in Oriel have to agree with him on this. They have to get a lifetime ban!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456