Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Games Friday, 12th July

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Spefically 3 peopl have been arrested 2 under the Garda Juvenile liason scheme so taken home to their mammies and 1 adult caution. I do wonder why only 3 arrests. But that aside the clubs can now issue their own additional sanctions to individuals. Get in done quickly and it may avoid the heavier FAI sanctions.

This is a great example of what I saw, skit or not!!

https://www.tiktok.com/@gareth.king/...126594?lang=en
    Last edited by Nesta99; 13/07/2024 at 11:43 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Last game of the season is Dundalk away to Drogheda, where one team will be relegated.

Fun times.
    I'd say one club will already be long relegated by the time it gets to that fixture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Almost comically bad.
    In fairness Bohs absolutely dominated most of the match, as you’d expect with the extra man, but the longer the game went on you just knew they wouldn’t score. Sligo lads blocked everything. Bohs have no decent striker, and when they did get a good shot on target McGinty was in fine form.
    On McGinty, what does it say that he couldn’t make it at Oxford and comes back here and can look like prime Manuel Neuer??
    Unfortunately, it says we have one of the worst Leagues in all of the European Union, especially when it comes to skill-set.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Unfortunately, it says we have one of the worst Leagues in all of the European Union, especially when it comes to skill-set.
    Or he was a little unlucky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Can literally just mean Oxford had another keeper who is also very good. I think the only thing holding Ed back is he could do with being an inch or four taller.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    They signed a new keeper last season rather than give McGinty a chance, so I suspect Corribside is closer to the mark unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Can literally just mean Oxford had another keeper who is also very good. I think the only thing holding Ed back is he could do with being an inch or four taller.
    Hes 6’3 I’d say so that’s not an issue. The few games he got with Oxford he made a few mistakes so I’d say they’re done with him for sure. If he keeps this form up someone else should really take a chance on him but if we’re stuck with him I’ll be quite happy.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Hes 6’3 I’d say so that’s not an issue. The few games he got with Oxford he made a few mistakes so I’d say they’re done with him for sure. If he keeps this form up someone else should really take a chance on him but if we’re stuck with him I’ll be quite happy.
    I always thought he looked way shorter tbh, but maybe I'm just seeing him beside other tall defenders and forwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Cobh are 3 points off the playoffs after losing to Wexford. If Cobh players are carrying knocks, will they be rested on Friday night from the Second Round of the FAI Cup?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Cobh are 3 points off the playoffs after losing to Wexford. If Cobh players are carrying knocks, will they be rested on Friday night from the Second Round of the FAI Cup?
    A few clubs will surely be looking to do same .incredibile to think that despite losing 9 games and even Bray losing 10 games that they are even in with a chance of playoffs .Standard of the league is so poor.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    I was thinking he was big all right. I saw him in the flesh in Dalymount on Friday and he’s a fair unit. Tall enough and also built!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    A few clubs will surely be looking to do same .incredibile to think that despite losing 9 games and even Bray losing 10 games that they are even in with a chance of playoffs .Standard of the league is so poor.
    I think that is by design, there's no real reason to give 5th a playoff spot other than to keep as many clubs as possible having something to play for towards the end of the season.

By rights there should probably just be a straight playoff between 2nd and 9th. Or perhaps a 4 team playoff with 9th in the PD playing 4th in the 1st Div, 2nd v 3rd in the FD being on the other side.

I don't like the current format but it gives more teams something to play for, so its probably for the greater good, if very convoluted. It does mean you have to be one hell of a 1st division team to navigate the whole thing and actually get promoted. Or be Longford and do whatever we did!

The 1st div is barely football at times, you're not wrong there! It wasn't much outside of Waterford and Galway last season either tbf, but it's a grand spot for kids to get experience, or kicked.

I might be wrong but I feel like the gap between divisions has been growing for a while, and from now on it's difficult to see anyone who goes down not being heavy favourite to go back up. There is always whatever mystery is unfolding at Athlone and UCD having an occasional excellent crop, but outside of them would Harps be the only 1st div club with a fanbase really capable of sustaining any sort of Full time football?

I'm leaving Cork out of it, because they just like to implode and visit the 1st div to feel something every now and then
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 14/07/2024 at 6:42 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Good post A.....even our own Treaty not out of it despite a pitiful effort this season and our mgt suggesting regularly in interviews the team is over achieving...6 wins in 24.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I'm confident in saying this is the worst First Division we've ever been a part of. In 2010 you had a very good Derry team plus decent Monaghan Waterford and Shels sides.
    In 2011 we went to the last day with Shels to decide a winner, plus again a decent Monaghan side.
    In 2022 you had the very talented Waterford team who couldn't get out of their own way, and a good Galway team.
    This year I don't even think we're all that good and there's no one else.
    We're walking to promotion right now without looking very good and I think our attendances are starting to reflect that.
    We have a 15 point lead (12 if Athlone win their game in hand) and our goal difference is +30, while the next best is +7.
    We've played 24 games and only conceded 9 goals!!

Well get promoted comfortably and if we don't replace essentially the whole team we'll be right back down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    First Division is really poor this year. Harps still well in it despite having a squad of kids with a handful of semi-experienced pros.

The thing is, there's always been a couple of decent sides and then the rest crap. This year, there's just Cork, a few teams having spells of looking okay, and then the rest crap, so it's really standing out this season in particular.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Think I’ve pretty much seen everyone play in the First Division, some more than once and there is not a chance any team that finishes 2nd - 5th beats the 9th place PD side.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    If they somehow manage it it could be a record low points total next season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Think I’ve pretty much seen everyone play in the First Division, some more than once and there is not a chance any team that finishes 2nd - 5th beats the 9th place PD side.
    Would wager there's a couple of sides who would love to win the FD playoff, but quite happily lose the PD playoff final.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    From what I saw in Athlone fri night Athlone only beat Cork City 1-0 few short weeks ago. They were very impressive the other night and should figure strongly in the playoffs.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    From what I saw in Athlone fri night Athlone only beat Cork City 1-0 few short weeks ago. They were very impressive the other night and should figure strongly in the playoffs.
    Athlone certainly the best of the rest after Cork.

23. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast