Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Heimir Hallgrímsson

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    I don't think the LoI will be having any input into the national team any time soon unfortunately.

Not sure I see any merit in that idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    The merit is that it would give people something else to talk about, though it might help him politically if it helped get LoI supporters onside. Kenny would never have lasted as long as he did without their support.

It would be a great shop window for the players selected with the European transfer window being open.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 13/07/2024 at 3:53 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    A lot of the early phrases in the coverage are organised, hard working, disrupt the opponent, themed. So will he be more of a Molumby / Knight working grunt in midfield fan than Smallbone or bringing a Moran type through ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    The merit is that it would give people something else to talk about, though it might help him politically if it helped get LoI supporters onside. Kenny would never have lasted as long as he did without their support.

It would be a great shop window for the players selected with the European transfer window being open.
    I think the Euro games are the best transfer window though - and they're not exactly selling themselves. I'm not sure a B game would benefit tbh

There'll be a bit of chat as we get to the England game which is what - seven weeks away?

Can't see much difference to the first squad because tbh there's nobody really outside the squad who'd as much as yet. (Possibly Manning aside)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    A lot of the early phrases in the coverage are organised, hard working, disrupt the opponent, themed. So will he be more of a Molumby / Knight working grunt in midfield fan than Smallbone or bringing a Moran type through ?
    Gylfi Sigurdsson played a lot as one of the two 6s in midfield if Transfermarkt is accurate so could see it being Cullen and Smallbone.

Moran played there for Blackburn in a couple of games. Only saw one against Newcastle where he played well. Azaz another lad you wonder how he'll fit into the team. Maybe as one of the midfield two or he might favour 352 with us. Played 343 with Jamaica.

If he reverts to 442 I can see Knight playing on the left of midfield. Iceland had Birkir Bjarnason playing on the left and similar to Knight he's probably played everywhere on the pitch bar CB.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    People just want something to talk about and in the absence of anything football related this is all there is.

If I were him I would make a phone call and organise a B international against Iceland with squads picked from the domestic leagues. It would show he's hitting the ground running and people would have something else to argue about from the moment the squad was announced.
    I think this would just raise unrealistic expectations of LoI involvement in the senior squad going forward. It would just lead to complaints that whoever played well in the B game never got a full call up.

Even during Stephen Kenny's time in charge, when we had maybe our weakest squad in modern history, I think the only involvement of domestic players on the pitch was two appearances off the bench from Jack Byrne in the first Nations League campaign. Nothing after that for the next three years. And the squad is a lot stronger and deeper now.

So, while it's great that he'll be living in Ireland and going to games, I think there needs to be an acceptance that he's unlikely to be calling up domestic based players, other than maybe an occasional training keeper or something.

I would be in favour of the Greenwood stuff being spun off into a separate thread, maybe even into another part of the message board to be honest. While it's clearly an issue for a small number of posters here and a few SJWs on Twitter, I'm not getting the sense that there is any real wider interest in it. The link to Hallgrimsson is just too tenuous for it to be relevant to most people, and there's little mention of it in the media as he answered the question repeatedly during the week, so there's nothing much else to be said. Some people will always look to create issues wherever they can, probably they'd go digging for something regardless of who was hired as manager.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 13/07/2024 at 4:53 PM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    In spite of Crafty calling me a stubborn b0ll0cks I'm happy to drop the Greenwood thing. My point was I didn't think it was a big deal
    Its really not that complicated!!!

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Hypothetically, would people still be ok with this had Greenwood had Irish eligibility & our manager had met him & said those the things HH has gone on public record with ? Or if HH had said those things in relation to the player playing for us ?
    Doesn't matter who the player was and who he played for - I would insist on the same questions being asked about the manager - and I would not want Greenwood (or anyone similar) in the Irish squad.

I think it has merit yes & given its RLP & JRG mainly squaring up, neither will yield or stop & it will just circle itself. There's no new info & there won't be.
    RLP has indicated a clear perspective - which I fundamentally disagree with - and I don't see any reason to engage further with it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    there's little mention of it in the media as he answered the question repeatedly during the week,
    There is little mention of it in the media because the media is doing what it always does with the FAI - engaging in whitewashing. Any journalist worth their salt would be asking some very hard questions - but those type of reporters are few and far between these days. The modern journalist is more of a copy and paste type of individual (and tends to get paid accordingly).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Shocked by the rudeness and hostility of the Irish media at the press conference. Especially when contrasted with the kid glove treatment afforded to Kenny and the heavy promotion of the very obviously unqualified O'Shea for the top job.

Maybe I'm misreading things, but it feels a lot like xenophobia.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    There is little mention of it in the media because the media is doing what it always does with the FAI - engaging in whitewashing. Any journalist worth their salt would be asking some very hard questions - but those type of reporters are few and far between these days. The modern journalist is more of a copy and paste type of individual (and tends to get paid accordingly).
    I don't think that's true - I rarely see a good word said in the Irish media about the FAI, and in a lot of cases there's good reason for that. If there was anything in the Greenwood story they'd go for it to get the clicks, but there just isn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Shocked by the rudeness and hostility of the Irish media at the press conference.
    Any particular instances worth flagging? I haven't seen anyone else indicate that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    HH’s Greenwood quotes don’t sit well with me. But nor did Rory Best’s attendance at the Belfast Rape trial, seemingly to offer moral support to his teammates. I haven’t heard any outrage against Best continuing as a TV pundit. I think this is comparable to who managed Olding and Jackson subsequent to the trial. Legally innocent, morally questionable players. Did we ask serious questions of who employed them subsequently? Or who offered moral support?

I think it’s awkward for HH but far from fatal. Sometimes work puts you in a sh1t position.

Tomorrow Spain plays England in a major final. Spanish football has been pathetic in its response to racism. English football has dealt with the matter much better.

I’m a vehement anti-racist but who am I up for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Legally innocent, morally questionable players. Did we ask serious questions of who employed them subsequently? Or who offered moral support?
    Where do we place Troy Parrott hanging out with Kinahan associates?

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Where do we place Troy Parrott hanging out with Kinahan associates?
    I found Troy hanging around with the kinahan highly offensive.

They are a complete cancer on our society.

People like Lennon and Sagnol are ignorant d**k heads, but these guys are brutal killers. They would kill everyone on this forum if it meant getting what they wanted

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    What about Shane Duffy being a repeat drink driving offender? That behaviour gets completely innocent people killed. Where do you draw the line? Wherever it is, I'm certain Hallgrimsson not ruling out Greenwood but then also not calling him up either doesn't cross it, that's for sure.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    What about Shane Duffy being a repeat drink driving offender? That behaviour gets completely innocent people killed. Where do you draw the line? Wherever it is, I'm certain Hallgrimsson not ruling out Greenwood but then also not calling him up either doesn't cross it, that's for sure.
    I don't want to misrepresent your statement, but are you infairimg the kinahan drug cartel don't kill "completely innocent" people?

Tbf your not saying that right

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    No my post had nothing to do with the Kinahans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    We're falling in to the there's no ethical consumption under capitalism realm of debate now, it's all fair, once you look at almost anything too closely it's pretty difficult to enjoy it. You just have to roll with your own conscience at the end of the day.

Parrott's pals involvement in boxing has tarnished how I feel about a lot of people I would have respected previously. I'd probably give Troy some degree of a pass because of his age, and who knows what he knows about these people in all honesty, the older he gets the less rope I'd give him thou. For Duffy, I understand his life has been in a bit of a tailspin since the passing of his father, I empathize massively with him, but I also don't think he should have been called up in to the last squad so soon after the last incident.

I've already said what I thought about HH, his statement was passable at best, I'm sure for him and FAI the matter is sorted, nothing will be brought up about it again unless someone in the media really does their homework and goes for it. When you start paying any attention to the media in general you realize so much of it is borderline paid advertising at best, there's a few excellent individuals within Ireland, but a lot of people just coasting and getting a paycheck, which is fair enough as well honestly, their agency and job security is being eroded all the time too.

I don't really see the point in talking about it any more. I appreciate the few people who are trying to hammer home that it is quite serious and trying to get others to not take it so lightly, but the point has been made enough now, everyone here knows what's up, it's up to them to do with that what they wish and feel how they feel.

For me personally I really hate a lot of things I used to love and it is exhausting, but I am wired in such a way that I can't really ignore the problematic aspects.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 14/07/2024 at 8:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Just seen online HH has said he'd like to do the domestic based internationals, and hold them around January. I know it was suggested here earlier, but is something I always wanted to see. It's also something I think the Women's team really should be doing.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast