Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Heimir Hallgrímsson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Greenwoods Mrs happy to stay with him, got pregnant since and by all accounts they are happy... ... I think if Greenwoods partner has forgiven him...
    Read this:
    https://www.womensaid.org.uk/informa...e/women-leave/

He's still employed in football
    Of course he is - he's still bloody good at it and for a lot of people, that's all that counts.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Read this:
    https://www.womensaid.org.uk/informa...e/women-leave/

Of course he is - he's still bloody good at it and for a lot of people, that's all that counts.
    Look I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but we don't know the full story either. When Utd did an internal investigation they also cleared him. What happened never came out in court, but my point is mainly that trying to tie Hallstrimsson to it is nonsense
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    Also doesn't help when your father goes public defending your abuser because he saw his cash cow disappearing. Might as well have gotten himself a fedora and a blinged up cane for his interview. Feel sorry for the poor girl when you've got family like that who'll put money over your safety.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    When Utd did an internal investigation they also cleared him.
    Aye, they "cleared" their £50m asset from being flushed down the pan, so that they've now preserved maybe half his value in the transfer market.

What happened never came out in court
    And have you ever wondered why? Clue:

... my point is mainly that trying to tie Hallstrimsson to it is nonsense
    It's not a question of "tying him into it", rather it's a question of his distancing himself sufficiently from it. Which many people think he hasn't managed.

None of which makes him unfit for the job, but that doesn't mean he should be immune from scrutiny, at least until he comes up with a better stance on the issue than he has thus far.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    890 Posts
    Greenwood is going to go on and have a career whether people like it or not. Clubs will sign him and managers will be compelled to pick him. It is what it is. In our case though we have hired a manager who never picked him or even called him up. So, again, there really is no mileage in this in the context of Heimir Hallgrimsson.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Greenwood is going to go on and have a career whether people like it or not. Clubs will sign him and managers will be compelled to pick him. It is what it is.
    No doubt.

But we all know why that is, and it's precious little to do with natural justice or womens' rights etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    In our case though we have hired a manager who never picked him or even called him up. So, again, there really is no mileage in this in the context of Heimir Hallgrimsson.
    All he had to say was "His eligibility is a matter for the Jamaican FA. If they decide he should be, then he will be available for selection, but if they don't, then we move on."

Instead, he made excuses for him, such that he appeared to be painting MG as the victim in all this.

And that's without having scouted and interviewed him beforehand etc, which I believe he may have done? (Unsure)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    No doubt.

But we all know why that is, and it's precious little to do with natural justice or womens' rights etc.

All he had to say was "His eligibility is a matter for the Jamaican FA. If they decide he should be, then he will be available for selection, but if they don't, then we move on."

Instead, he made excuses for him, such that he appeared to be painting MG as the victim in all this.

And that's without having scouted and interviewed him beforehand etc, which I believe he may have done? (Unsure)
    Entirely agree. Whole thing stinks. I'm a season ticket holder and long time devotee. But I'm checking out for the duration of whatever this version of Irish men's football is. No thanks.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts
    No doubt.

You are spot on here. Shows horrible judgement on his part . The fact that he is a good communicator males it much worse as there is no way he just got dazed by the question and fumbled a response.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    No doubt.

How some don't realize that this is why some people might still have questions for him regarding Greenwood especially given the week we've just had in Irish football with the sexual abuse allegations coming forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    We don't know the full story behind Greenwood. I understand women's relationship with their abuser more than I'd be willing to discuss here, but I simply think the whole situation is completely irrelevant to Hallgrimsson and it's coming across as we are always just looking for something to complain about

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Let's be clear - on the allegations relating to the Icelandic players - I am not accusing Hallgrimsson of any wrongdoing or misdeeds in relation to the allegations about the actions of Icelandic footballers in the 2010s.

The issue I have is that it was clear that there was a culture in the Icelandic squad that made gender-based violence acceptable - and an Icelandic government report stated such. The reason that Board of the Icelandic FA resigned was not just because of one incident but because of this culture that existed - as late as 2021 when the Board resigned some players were still talking about the toxic culture that still existed that needed to be changed. It is suggested that the allegations of gang rape in 2010 are irrelevant - but the two players accused continued to play for Iceland under Hallgrimsson (one of them is still a regular in the Icelandic team). Furthermore, it is alleged that the accused players joked about the gang rape in the locker room to other players. The victim of this gang rape reported the assault to the police but was told there was no prospect of a conviction because the assault happened in Denmark. The player involved in the 2017 incident, which involved two women, was reported to the police the following day and to the Icelandic FA a couple of days later - both the police and the FA covered-up the assaults and the player continued to be picked to play by Hallgrimsson.

Again - I am not making any accusations about Hallgrimsson - but when players are joking about a gang rape, other players are complaining about the culture in the locker room, and rumours containing serious accusations of sexual violence against multiple players are circulating, I think it is appropriate for Hallgrimsson to be asked about what he was aware of and what he did or did not do during his tenure from 2013-2018.

And remember again - this is all in a backdrop this week, the week of his appointment, but more importantly, the week when several female players made serious accusations against coaching staff employed by the FAI.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    We don't know the full story behind Greenwood. I understand women's relationship with their abuser more than I'd be willing to discuss here, but I simply think the whole situation is completely irrelevant to Hallgrimsson and it's coming across as we are always just looking for something to complain about
    Do you think that the female footballers who this week made accusations against FAI coaching staff, think that the actions and comments of the MNT manager appointed two days later are irrelevant ?

I don't - and I think it is important to raise these questions.

The FAI Board should have been aware of everything that went on - including the resignation of the entire Board of the Icelandic FA in 2021 - and should have been far more cognisant of the potential fallout of appointing Hallgrimsson, particularly when, two days earlier, they were making apologies to players who were subjected to sexual harassment and coercion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Would there be an appetite for two seperate Hallgrimsson threads, one for the discussion around the Greenwood quotes etc. and the other strictly confined to football? The discussion has been interesting and respectful so far, for which I am grateful, but of course some people don't have much appetite for it and may feel unable to discuss what they want to.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Do you think that the female footballers who this week made accusations against FAI coaching staff, think that the actions and comments of the MNT manager appointed two days later are irrelevant ?

I don't - and I think it is important to raise these questions.

The FAI Board should have been aware of everything that went on - including the resignation of the entire Board of the Icelandic FA in 2021 - and should have been far more cognisant of the potential fallout of appointing Hallgrimsson, particularly when, two days earlier, they were making apologies to players who were subjected to sexual harassment and coercion.
    Hallgrimsson has never been accused of being an abuser, he has been asked and answered about Greenwood multiple times this week. He has no personal relationship with Greenwood and was not part of Greenwoods abuse. That's the end of it for me. Unless the man himself has abused someone or condoned it in Public I really don't know what more you want from him

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts
    Hallgrimsson has never been accused of being an abuser, he has been asked and answered about Greenwood multiple times this week. He has no personal relationship with Greenwood and was not part of Greenwoods abuse. That's the end of it for me. Unless the man himself has abused someone or condoned it in Public I really don't know what more you want from him
    Please read what I wrote before firing from the hip.

And you are wrong about Greenwood - In March of this year Hallgrimsson met with Greenwood to try and persuade him to switch allegiance to Jamaica. Hallgrimsson then came out as an apologist for Greenwood, portraying him as the victim.

Now - you may want to brush this stuff under the carpet and minimise the impact of Hallgrimsson's actions and words - but in the context of the earlier accusations about FAI coaches this week, this is not going away until Hallgrimsson comes out and makes a proper statement, not a corporate PR fluff job, about Greenwood and also addresses the culture in the locker room that he oversaw while working with the Icelandic team.

This is similar to the stuff about Sagnol - and it astonishes me that these individuals, and those who advise them, cannot come out with the hand up and admit that they got it wrong, make a proper apology and commit to combatting similar attitudes in future. If Hallgrimsson came out tomorrow (as he should have done this week) and says 'I regret meeting Mason Greenwood, I now feel it sent the wrong message to the survivors of gender-based violence and I am committed to supporting those who are survivors of such violence from whatever sphere of society' - and then say - 'I accept that I could have been more attentive to the culture of the locker room while with Iceland, I should have been more proactive in finding out what happened and who was involved and acted accordingly, and I will work consistently in the future to ensure that any squad I pick with not manifest any sign of toxic masculinity and will support anyone affected by such an environment'.

Making a statement like that would demonstrate that Hallgrimsson recognises what is going on in society today, recognises that it needs to be addressed in a supportive way for survivors and it would immediately change the narrative, particularly in the aftermath of the very recent allegations.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Hypothetically, would people still be ok with this had Greenwood had Irish eligibility & our manager had met him & said those the things HH has gone on public record with ? Or if HH had said those things in relation to the player playing for us ?

I think there would be a very different reaction & perspective on this then & the fait accompli nature of this announcement does make me wonder if that is why it was done that way.

Either way, he is now our manager and he seems a decent enough person on first impression, although I feel for those genuinely & clearly upset by this because had it been Sagnol I would have dropped out for the duration of his tenure, I wouldn't have supported that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Would there be an appetite for two seperate Hallgrimsson threads, one for the discussion around the Greenwood quotes etc. and the other strictly confined to football? The discussion has been interesting and respectful so far, for which I am grateful, but of course some people don't have much appetite for it and may feel unable to discuss what they want to.
    Yes please. I'm dying of boredom
    It's the same arguments just being rehashed.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I think it has merit yes & given its RLP & JRG mainly squaring up, neither will yield or stop & it will just circle itself. There's no new info & there won't be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Hypothetically, would people still be ok with this had Greenwood had Irish eligibility & our manager had met him & said those the things HH has gone on public record with ?
    I'd personally be much more vocal in my concern tbh

I think it probably might make sense to split threads because I understand why most people don't want to engage with this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    People just want something to talk about and in the absence of anything football related this is all there is.

If I were him I would make a phone call and organise a B international against Iceland with squads picked from the domestic leagues. It would show he's hitting the ground running and people would have something else to argue about from the moment the squad was announced.

27. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast