Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Hungary - Tuesday, 4th June 2024 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,344 Posts
    Sorry, didn't realise it was that much of a gap, I thought the move came soon after his debut

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts

Mother of Christ.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,105 Posts
    Concerning. He's showing these sort of leanings in picking Brady in the friendlies, calling up Stevens and Duffy, not playing O'Brien in the friendlies.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,273 Posts
    Why would an interim manager do that? I know McClean was retired by Kenny to an extent (and partly by his decision to drop to the fourth tier) rather than chose to retire, but if McClean is to come back, that's surely a matter for the incoming manager, not an interim?

(Unless of course O'Shea is getting vibes he's going to get the gig full time...)

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    735 Posts
    I'm usually resistant to the age hysteria here (which often puts me in mind of Logan's Run) but this is just deeply uninspiring. McClean's whole schtick is running himself ragged. That doesn't age well, and if he went down an extra division for largely financial reasons, he's still maybe a league 1 winger these days. The squad isn't lacking in experience to the degree it was, and I don't really see the point of this.

We seem to be sleepwalking into replacing a bad manager with his green assistant. I fear a lucky result or a spirited defeat in the friendlies is going to be pretext for the search committee just giving up and taking the path of least resistance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Honestly, I think this is just a slow news day story.
    O’Shea playing it perfectly. He’s not insulting his former teammate by dismissing him but also he’s not calling him up.
    There’s nothing to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,344 Posts
    Hungary squad for the euros was named a few weeks ago. Four players(Martin Ádám, Dániel Gazdag, Bendeguz Bolla and Callum Styles) have not joined the squad yet, so will not face Ireland
    https://en.mlsz.hu/hir/experience-an...uro-2024-squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Concerning. He's showing these sort of leanings in picking Brady in the friendlies, calling up Stevens and Duffy, not playing O'Brien in the friendlies.
    Brady (and 35-year-old Coleman) were among the best players in the last window. He's also one of the few players in the squad who can put a decent ball into the box, something that has been a weakness in recent years. It might just be that the older players are still the best players available.

I would doubt McClean will return. He called it a day on his own terms and even got a send-off game (even if he complained about it!)
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Lawal replaces Omobamidele who picked up an injury in training

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Had noticed Omobamidele was missing from the combined MNT and WNT photo all right.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Wonder would Omobamidele been "injured" if there was a Euros coming up for Ireland...again commitment levels are showing.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Lawal replaces Omobamidele who picked up an injury in training
    There's been a lot of comments here that Lawal is a centre-mid and really not a centre-back, and criticism of Crawford for playing him there at 21s. I haven't seen him play so I don't really know - though his ratings in the weekly ratings thread did improve markedly when I think he was moved to centre-mid at club level - but is it a bit concerning he's being called up to replace a centre-back? Or is that reading too much into things as it seems he was going to be called up for the second half of the week anyway?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 03/06/2024 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    In the context of the debate around integrating younger players into the squad/starting XI, an interesting exercise is to compare the current senior and U21 squads. Who would win if they played a match? Are there any players who would be good enough to displace an existing senior player, based on form, level they are at and so on?

Senior MNT
    GKs: C. Kelleher, M. Travers, M. O'Leary, D. Harrington
    DFs: S. Coleman, S. Duffy. R. Brady, M. Doherty, E. Stevens, D. O'Shea, L. Scales, J. O'Brien, B. Lawal
    MFs: J. Cullen, C. O'Dowda, J. Knight, J. McGrath, M. Johnston, W. Smallbone, M. Sykes, F. Azaz
    FWs: A. Idah, T. Parrott, M. Obafemi, S. Szmodics, T. Cannon

U21 MNT
    GKs: T. Brooks, K. Cahill, J. Keeley
    DFs: J. Abankwah, S. Curtis, A. Garcia MacNulty, A. Murphy, C. O'Brien, C. O'Riordain, S. Roughan
    MFs: B. Adeeko, M. Healy, J. Hodge, A. Moran, C. Noonan, R. Vata
    FWs: S. Armstrong, A. Emakhu, C. Kavanagh, J. Kenny, M. O'Mahony, O. O'Neill, A. Oko-Flex, T. Springett

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    O'Shea wants clarity

Asked if he expected clarity over the managerial situation after this window, O’Shea replied, “Yeah, let’s hope so. I think everyone, including myself, the staff, the players, everyone would like clarity on it.

The balls on Canham

Marc [Canham, FAI director of football] was in and around it [camp] for a couple of days,”

----------------

Etc : https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...461992768.html
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There's been a lot of comments here that Lawal is a centre-mid and really not a centre-back, and criticism of Crawford for playing him there at 21s. I haven't seen him play so I don't really know - though his ratings in the weekly ratings thread did improve markedly when I think he was moved to centre-mid at club level - but is it a bit concerning he's being called up to replace a centre-back? Or is that reading too much into things as it seems he was going to be called up for the second half of the week anyway?
    Had a similar thinking at first when it was announced he's replacing Omobamidele. But it's only for the Hungary match and then he goes back to the U21s. Probably just out of convenience that he was picked as he's already with the squad.

If nobody replaces him in the senior squad for the Portugal game you wonder what was the point in even announcing he's replacing Omobamidele. He was already with the squad until the Hungary game. I'm sure it's great to officially get his first call up but just means he'll join up with the U21s on Wednesday rather than tomorrow.

Doubt we'll see him make the match day squad and Coleman will cover CB to give him five CBs. I'd say there's more chance of Enda Stevens playing CB than Lawal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    He looks excellent at League 1 in both positions. I think it’s kind of like a young Paul McGrath or a young Declan Rice, not that I’m comparing him ability wise to either, just that he looks excellent playing both but not the finished article in either position. Probably reckon that long term, he’ll end up being a midfielder, just because he has the ability to drive past players with ease and the footballing brain and range of passing are good enough to make it there - but it could easily go the other way, he has all the attributes to be a top centre half too.

Once again, not comparing, but Virgil Van Dijk could have been an excellent midfielder, his calmness on the ball, his pace, aerial prowess, his passing range, ability to go past players, out muscle them, his awareness of his surroundings. In another world, he’s Yaya Toure or whatever - but instead he’s the best centre half in the world. Equally Yaya Toure was a centre back for Barcelona (winning the champions league final) before becoming a world class midfielder.

There’s a certain class of player that just has everything to play both positions without any obvious weaknesses to their game

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    In the context of the debate around integrating younger players into the squad/starting XI, an interesting exercise is to compare the current senior and U21 squads. Who would win if they played a match? Are there any players who would be good enough to displace an existing senior player, based on form, level they are at and so on?

Senior MNT
    GKs: C. Kelleher, M. Travers, M. O'Leary, D. Harrington
    DFs: S. Coleman, S. Duffy. R. Brady, M. Doherty, E. Stevens, D. O'Shea, L. Scales, J. O'Brien, B. Lawal
    MFs: J. Cullen, C. O'Dowda, J. Knight, J. McGrath, M. Johnston, W. Smallbone, M. Sykes, F. Azaz
    FWs: A. Idah, T. Parrott, M. Obafemi, S. Szmodics, T. Cannon

U21 MNT
    GKs: T. Brooks, K. Cahill, J. Keeley
    DFs: J. Abankwah, S. Curtis, A. Garcia MacNulty, A. Murphy, C. O'Brien, C. O'Riordain, S. Roughan
    MFs: B. Adeeko, M. Healy, J. Hodge, A. Moran, C. Noonan, R. Vata
    FWs: S. Armstrong, A. Emakhu, C. Kavanagh, J. Kenny, M. O'Mahony, O. O'Neill, A. Oko-Flex, T. Springett
    Ignoring Harrington... I would say only Moran for McGrath. Possibly Garcia-MacNulty for Stevens. I recognize both squads are missing a few of the usual suspects but it does show up a lack of depth if you ask me. Really hoping Murphy and O'Riordan push on next season at club level.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    In the context of the debate around integrating younger players into the squad/starting XI, an interesting exercise is to compare the current senior and U21 squads. Who would win if they played a match?
    If that's ever close, we should be competing to win an U21 continental or world title. It's literally men against boys.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts

Not even seen him for our U21s? Hes played 5 times. Also 5 U19s games.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    He looks excellent at League 1 in both positions. I think it’s kind of like a young Paul McGrath or a young Declan Rice, not that I’m comparing him ability wise to either, just that he looks excellent playing both but not the finished article in either position. Probably reckon that long term, he’ll end up being a midfielder, just because he has the ability to drive past players with ease and the footballing brain and range of passing are good enough to make it there - but it could easily go the other way, he has all the attributes to be a top centre half too.

Once again, not comparing, but Virgil Van Dijk could have been an excellent midfielder, his calmness on the ball, his pace, aerial prowess, his passing range, ability to go past players, out muscle them, his awareness of his surroundings. In another world, he’s Yaya Toure or whatever - but instead he’s the best centre half in the world. Equally Yaya Toure was a centre back for Barcelona (winning the champions league final) before becoming a world class midfielder.

There’s a certain class of player that just has everything to play both positions without any obvious weaknesses to their game
    When you seen Lawal on the pitch even for Fleetwood he stands out a mile for his sheer size. I have massive hopes that he could be the player we've been crying out for in midfield. As you said, his ability to carry the ball forward from midfield is something we really dont have. Good passer of the ball too.

Delighted to see him get called up. Wouldnt be one to start just yet, but it wont be long if he starts next season well. Good complication video below for those who havent seen much of him...

Its really not that complicated!!!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast