Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Hungary - Tuesday, 4th June 2024 - Friendly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    The one I really would have like to have seen in there is Lawal. Its too soon for him really but he has enough about him that its very possible he'll be a starter for us by this time next year
    I'd imagine, it's definitely possible if he impresses enough in training that they keep him with the seniors

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I'd imagine, it's definitely possible if he impresses enough in training that they keep him with the seniors
    Yes, I only seen that hes training with the seniors from your previous post after I wrote that. Encouraging that they are taking a look at him
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    If Cannon gets capped next week then he has to wait until after June 2027 before he can switch.

Article 9.2, A request to change association may be granted only in the following
    circumstances: Section C, paragraph V states.

"At least three years have passed since being fielded for his last
    match at “A” international level in any kind of football for his
    current association, whether in an official competition or non-
    official competition;"
    I'm up to my knees in a work thing this evening so I don't have time to fully go back through the regs, but I'm 99.999999% certain that that doesn't apply in this case. The three year wait thing only applies where a player was under 21 years old when he was capped, and where he was capped in a competitive game. Cannon has turned 21 and these are friendlies. There are countless recent examples of players jumping between nations with less than a three year gap and playing senior friendlies for both, especially between the US and Mexico.

- Travers and Cullen are getting married in the next week
    Congratulations to the happy couple.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    There are countless recent examples of players jumping between nations with less than a three year gap and playing senior friendlies for both.
    Including one D Rice...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    You are. How did you rate Stephen Kenny after two games?

<MOD EDIT - Personal insult removed>
    Attack the post, not the post. Last warning Snapshot
    Awwww were you trying to have a go at me? Do you mean Kennys first two games of his managerial career in charge of Longford? Because thats the only equivalence to O'Shea here. Unfortunately I dont remember his first games at Longford, but I do remember him getting Longford into Europe which I think we'd all agree is pretty impressive! If O'Shea can learn and adapt from his first 2 games he might be lucky enough to get a job managing someone like Longford too, because right now no one is touching him as is proven by his willingness to continue in a caretaker role rather than getting a full time job somewhere else.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Including one D Rice...
    FWIW the regulations changed after Deccers defected. At his point, it was simply 1 competitive international of any type was enough to tie a player. They subsequently changed and since then, as far as I know, there hasn't been any hard cases where someone switched having already received X international caps at age Y where we can actually see the new rules in effect. So I wouldn't be too confident to the actual implications - but it's certainly possible this involves a 3 year wait...

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Awwww were you trying to have a go at me?
    Come on, RLP. Tets intervened there to help keep the peace so the rest of us don't have to read petty squabbling. Don't crow, it's just trolling for a reaction. Make your points and move on.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Come on, RLP. Tets intervened there to help keep the peace so the rest of us don't have to read petty squabbling. Don't crow, it's just trolling for a reaction. Make your points and move on.
    I thought I did make my points, but fair enough I'll stop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts

- Travers and Cullen are getting married in the next week
    Ah, thats nice for them. Congrats to the happy couple.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist )
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Ah, thats nice for them. Congrats to the happy couple.

(Sorry, couldn’t resist )
    Obviously great togetherness in the squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Andy Moran will be training with the seniors too before going to play with the 21s

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    If Cannon gets capped next week then he has to wait until after June 2027 before he can switch.

Article 9.2, A request to change association may be granted only in the following
    circumstances: Section C, paragraph V states.

"At least three years have passed since being fielded for his last
    match at “A” international level in any kind of football for his
    current association, whether in an official competition or non-
    official competition;"
    Just to give the definitive answer to this because I didn't have time yesterday. 9.2 Section C only applies where:

the player:
    i) was fielded in a match in an official competition at “A”
    international level in any kind of football for his current
    association;

and

iii) at the time of being fielded for his last match in an official
    competition in any kind of football for his current association,
    he had not turned 21 years old;

i) doesn't apply because these are friendlies and iii) doesn't apply because Cannon has already turned 21 (though this is not really important anyway in this case because i) isn't applicable for these games).

So, Cannon can play either or both games and switch to England in the next window if he wants to. He will only be cap tied to Ireland once he plays a competitive game. Because he has already turned 21 he doesn't have to play three competitive games to be cap tied, a single competitive cap will do it.

Incidentally, I think Cannon is underrated by Irish supporters. We haven't paid too much attention to him because we haven't known whether he'll commit to us or not (and we still don't). But he's known for being a really strong trainer and hard worker, as well as a good player. if we end up with him alongside Ferguson, Idah and in the shorter term Szmodics, we'll be looking in really great shape up front. And of course there are others too.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Brady, Coleman, Stevens, Doherty and O'Dowda in the squad. They'll be 33, 36, 34, 33 and 29 respectively when the next campaign's in full swing. Four are injury prone and the other started about half-a-dozen games in the PL. It was left up to O'Shea whether he called up Duffy or not and of course he calls him up despite the fact he has a drink driving conviction hanging over him while in O'Brien you have a player with a similar profile on the upswing who's coming off a goal against PSG in a French Cup Final. I have no doubt he'd have McClean in the squad as well if he hadn't retired. Couple all of this with the fact O'Shea showed the exact same tactical, strategic and in-game limitations as Kenny in the previous two friendlies and I'm not looking forward to his appointment as permanent manager. It's an absolutely mindboggling squad in certain ways. I know lads like Roughan, Garcia-MacNulty, Lawal and Moran aren't the finished article but after over fifteen years of repeating the same mistakes in the past not gently disposing of players who [should've] aged out in terms of consideration, at some point you've got to start throwing lads in at the deep end. Just look at the tune Michael O'Neill is getting out of the young lads with NI. I watched the Romania game and they played some great stuff with boys who are further down the rung than Roughan and Garcia-MacNulty. I'm shouting against the wind here but succeeding Kenny as an International manager is not the right first step for O'Shea. He needs to do something at club level - any level - first. And that's not putting the cones out with poor performing teams like Reading and Birmingham.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I wonder would this many players be out injured if Ireland had qualified for the Euros this summer...

We can talk about the quality of player available to us and the lack of a manager until the cows come home but the reality is if the players arent committed to the cause then we are going nowhere fast even if we had the Man City squad at our disposal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    I wonder would this many players be out injured if Ireland had qualified for the Euros this summer...

We can talk about the quality of player available to us and the lack of a manager until the cows come home but the reality is if the players arent committed to the cause then we are going nowhere fast even if we had the Man City squad at our disposal.
    I'm actually surprised as many have agreed to turn up as have. A lot would have been on the beach for last few weeks. Speaks well that so many have agreed to turn up for completely meaningless games when we don't even have a manager building for future. I thought Joe Lapria might get cap number 2 and 3 in these games

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harrington is an utterly bizzare call. If he wanted another goalkeeper, surely Jack Bonham was the obvious choice?

It's a fairly underwhelming squad but there's a lack of options out there really.
    Saw a comment elsewhere online that O'Shea and Harrington share an agent (Stephen Hunt). Could explain it, or also be completely irrelevant. Was it Stan that was rumoured to have called up certain players because of a link to a particular agent?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Jason Byrne and Brian Kerr had the same agent when he was called up
    He got one minute at the end of a friendly against Poland, and moved to Cardiff soon after.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    887 Posts
    A few players that Staunton capped had strong links with Pat Devlin, who was involved in the Ireland setup with Staunton at the time. Alan O'Brien in particular, who subsequently got a transfer to Hibs off the back of winning a few Ireland caps and proved to be nowhere near good enough for Hibs, never mind the Ireland team, which had a lot of good players in it at that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Was Byrne not also the best striker in the LoI at the time, with a great scoring record and experience playing the likes of Juve for a dominant and fully pro Shels team? It was hardly the weirdest cap in the world, especially if Kerr had any romantic notions about promoting the league. I doubt Cardiff gave him a contract on the back of a minute for Ireland. Coincidences are inevitable in a community the size of Irish football, so I'm inclined to dismiss connections like that unless they come with an otherwise inexplicable decision.

On second thought, Byrne moved to Cardiff in 2007. The minute he got from Kerr was in April 2004. Grassy knoll territory.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,349 Posts
    Crowe got a cap the previous year though. Between 03 and 04 they scored 84 league goals between them. I wouldn't get overly conspiratorial about a friendly cap apiece tbh

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast