Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Hungary - Tuesday, 4th June 2024 - Friendly

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    798 Posts
    Aside from the utterly bizarre call up of Harrington, Cannon is the only interesting name in that squad. No AGM, Taylor, Lawal or McAteer. An underwhelming squad, hopefully there might be a few more calloffs to force him to shake it up a bit.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Aside from the utterly bizarre call up of Harrington
    He actually doesn't have a wiki page (at the moment).

Wouldn't surprise me if that's a first since, well, wiki was invented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    lol @ the harrington call up. horrific squad from oshea. any chance he'd call up some of the 21s instead of someone like duffy ? lawal should have been called in given our midfield options.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,105 Posts
    Similar to the last squad, some incredibly safe decisions from O'Shea that make me hope he doesn't get the job.

Great to see Cannon in there. Wondering where we are on his teammate McAteer now. Hopefully that gets a clarification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,344 Posts
    Squad stats
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    499 Posts
    Yeah, McAteer played the Leicester city last game
    some journalist should ask is this guy still onboard etc

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Aside from the utterly bizarre call up of Harrington, Cannon is the only interesting name in that squad. No AGM, Taylor, Lawal or McAteer. An underwhelming squad, hopefully there might be a few more calloffs to force him to shake it up a bit.
    Keely and Lawal supposedly will train with the seniors before joining up with the U21s. McAteer and Taylor yeah but not one bit surprised at anyone from the U21s not getting a call up.

Won't include Cannon in that since he hasn't played in 16 months. But JOS was always gonna play it safe with selection. An average age of 33 is what our four FB/WB selected are.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    798 Posts
    According to Transfermarkt David Harrington has played one competitive game of football since he left Cork in 2022. That was a dead rubber League 1 game last month after Fleetwood were already relegated. We have three other keepers in the squad and it's rumoured that Keeley is going to be training with them also. What on earth do we need five keepers for? This might honestly be the most mental Ireland call up since Joey Lapira.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Harrington is an utterly bizzare call. If he wanted another goalkeeper, surely Jack Bonham was the obvious choice?

It's a fairly underwhelming squad but there's a lack of options out there really.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,658 Posts
    Garcia-McNulty not in there for a look in the LB role makes me worry that his head is turned or he doesnt want to commit to a senior cap. Otherwise, i cannot understand him not making it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Don't really mind the Harrington call-up, it's not like he's gonna play. There’s two possibilities to this call up: a) there's an injury concern to one of CK, MT or MOL - in which case who is the 5th choice that he’s being picked ahead of? or b) they decided they wanted to give him a call-up regardless

A) These are the other candidates for 5th choice:

Darren Randolph (3rd choice at Bournemouth)
    Jack Bonham (2nd choice at Stoke)
    Christy Pym (League 2 keeper)
    Luke McNicholas (3rd choice at a L1/L2 club, although he has performed well in cups)
    James Talbot (taking a break at his club for mental health)
    Brian Maher (LOI)
    Conor Kearns (LOI)
    Ed McGinty (LOI/reserve at League 1)
    Aaron McCarey (NI League)
    David Odumosu (NI League)
    Liam Bossin (2nd division Belgian league)
    Sean McDermott (unattached)
    Kieran O’Hara (2nd keeper in SPL)

There really isn’t an obvious international calibre keeper. I would have assumed Bonham or Randolph were the next in line but no issue if JOS / Rene Gilmartin don't rate Bonham. Equally, what's the point of Randolph?

B) he’s a guy who, since he signed for Fleetwood has spent 18 months injured, having had shoulder surgery twice. Fleetwood were only able to sign him due to the injury, Everton had already agreed a deal and Fleetwood signed him knowing the extent of his injury. He’s finally back fit and made his debut for them, keeping a clean sheet and by all accounts playing excellently. So if you’re looking for a keeper who actually has the ability to play at the level, maybe he’s your best bet. He is also eligible for Wales and prior to the injury Wales were doing all they could to convince him to play for them.

Either way, absolutely no harm at all

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Garcia-McNulty not in there for a look in the LB role makes me worry that his head is turned or he doesnt want to commit to a senior cap. Otherwise, i cannot understand him not making it.
    Or, it's John O'Shea being conservative and picking lads that he knows and played with.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    499 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Id say it's a poor call from O shea
    He's so far away from the Spanish squad that I'd just say the manager isnt on the ball.

Did O'Shea fly over and see the lad play? I've no idea but I doubt actually

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    798 Posts
    Just on Garcia-McNulty (and also Cannon) - a couple of friendly caps would make no difference to their eligibility status anyway, so no reason not to take a call up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Just on Garcia-McNulty (and also Cannon) - a couple of friendly caps would make no difference to their eligibility status anyway, so no reason not to take a call up.
    Does mean you have to wait three years before you can switch. So Cannon must have given up on England if he's willing to take an Irish cap this summer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    798 Posts
    No he could play for England this autumn if he wants to. It didn't sound like JOS felt he was overly committed in his comments there, just committed to these two games basically it sounded like (though my stream was cutting out so might not have heard what O'Shea said correctly).
    Last edited by Eirambler; 28/05/2024 at 3:22 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,105 Posts
    True for you, Declan.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    No he could play for England this autumn if he wants to. It didn't sound like JOS felt he was overly committed in his comments there, just committed to these two games basically it sounded like (though my stream was cutting out so might not have heard what O'Shea said correctly).
    If Cannon gets capped next week then he has to wait until after June 2027 before he can switch.

Article 9.2, A request to change association may be granted only in the following
    circumstances: Section C, paragraph V states.

"At least three years have passed since being fielded for his last
    match at “A” international level in any kind of football for his
    current association, whether in an official competition or non-
    official competition;"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    What we learnt from it the press conference...

- Festy Ebosele and Kasey McAteer are missing due to issues with their bodies this season and need for rest before pre-season but would have been called up if available (I'm paraphrasing)

- Stevens was selected over Manning

- Browne didn't take a call up due to being out of contract and fears of getting an injury (but would have taken it for competitive games)

- Travers and Cullen are getting married in the next week - as a result, Lawal and Keeley are training with the seniors till they arrive. Also mentioned Harrington in the same bit as Keeley about having enough keepers ('enough competition and numbers in training')

- The stream cut out for whatever the question was about Cannon: "...person, the conversation we had and he's looking forward to and excited to come in for these two games and let's see, I'm sure it will be the case that he will be committed" - hard to really parse the quote without the context of the quote and the start of what he replied. Even if you take out the words "let's see", the quote sounds far far more emphatic and positive.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Much better squad than I expected, I thought much more lads would pull out to get themselves rested and ready for preseason.

Not particularly sure that Cannon did enough this season to earn a call up over Sinclair Armstrong but it at least changes the narrative around him and its good to have him on board. Obafemi hasnt done much to earn call up either tbf.

Duffy there is pointless, hes just not a good player anymore and Garcia McNulty would have a been a better choice for the future. Im also not a big fan of dopes who crash their cars drink driving.

The one I really would have like to have seen in there is Lawal. Its too soon for him really but he has enough about him that its very possible he'll be a starter for us by this time next year
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast