Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

  1. #1
    International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    5,253
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,331
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,344
    Thanked in
    861 Posts

    Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Can we keep the discussion on the next Ireland managers and move the what is and isn't racist discuss to current affairs

    Its very relevant to this thread if the one of the front runners for our national team job has this sort of stink hanging around him
    Its really not that complicated!!!

  2. #2
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    22,372
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,104
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,045
    Thanked in
    3,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Its very relevant to this thread if the one of the front runners for our national team job has this sort of stink hanging around him
    That part is, an endless debate about what is and is not racist, isn't

  3. #3
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    131
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Can we keep the discussion on the next Ireland managers and move the what is and isn't racist discuss to current affairs
    With all respect - this is relevant - if Sagnol is a possibility as Ireland manager, then his racist outlook is very much part of the discussion - and it is important that people understand that. It is no less important that the fact that Neil Lennon had threatened and intimidated a woman he had a relationship with.

    And by the way - there are many racists and far-right individuals (and individuals who come from a far-right family background) in football and we don't know who could pop into the frame. Trapattoni had links with the Italian far-right - the family of Benetez had links with Franco's regime - Mourinho's family had links with Salazar's fascist regime. Spanish football, in particular, is riddled with far-right influence. Laurent Blanc has made racist comments - Aragonés is a known racist - Busquets made racist comments to Marcelo - John Terry is another - and we have the most recent stuff from Barton.

  4. #4
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    6,297
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    194
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    869
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Amazing how some people are prepared to admit they don't have enough facts to form a 100% certain view of things but for others they are unburdened by doubt.
    I'm done with the non debate.

  5. #5
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    66
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    185
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    With all respect - this is relevant - if Sagnol is a possibility as Ireland manager, then his racist outlook is very much part of the discussion - and it is important that people understand that. It is no less important that the fact that Neil Lennon had threatened and intimidated a woman he had a relationship with.

    And by the way - there are many racists and far-right individuals (and individuals who come from a far-right family background) in football and we don't know who could pop into the frame. Trapattoni had links with the Italian far-right - the family of Benetez had links with Franco's regime - Mourinho's family had links with Salazar's fascist regime. Spanish football, in particular, is riddled with far-right influence. Laurent Blanc has made racist comments - Aragonés is a known racist - Busquets made racist comments to Marcelo - John Terry is another - and we have the most recent stuff from Barton.
    Sagnol has been a professional in the public eye as both a player and manager for almost 30 years, aside from that one poorly communicated comment in 2014 which he apologised for has there been anything whatsover throughout those years that would indicate he has a "racist outlook" or "far-right" tendencies? Anything at all?

    People here need to come to grips with the idea that he may have spoken thoughtlessly in the moment and without consideration for how it could have been viewed as offensive and accept his apology for what it is, rather than it being some kind of mask off moment for a guy with no track record of anything of the sort. The haste at which people have reached for comparisons between him and the likes of Ron Atkinson or Joey Barton is completely unhinged.

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #6
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,538
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    633
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    In fairness I don't think anyone here is supporting a racist or giving a racist the benefit of the doubt.

    I think the rebate boils down to whether you buy his "clarification" or not. I personally don't buy it. But if you do buy it, then you are of course not a racist, that's just your opinion.

    I think it was a racist statement and I think his response was crafted by professional advisors.

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #7
    Reserves
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    479
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    131
    Thanked in
    94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Sagnol has been a professional in the public eye as both a player and manager for almost 30 years, aside from that one poorly communicated comment in 2014 which he apologised for has there been anything whatsover throughout those years that would indicate he has a "racist outlook" or "far-right" tendencies? Anything at all?
    Let's be perfectly clear - he NEVER apologised - saying he spoke with a 'lack of clarity' and 'imperfect semantics'. Sagnol described African players as 'cheap', 'ready for combat' and 'powerful on the field' - but you needed the Nordics (the archetypical Aryans) for 'technique, intelligence and discipline' - there is zero lack of clarity here and semantics has nothing to do with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    People here need to come to grips with the idea that he may have spoken thoughtlessly in the moment and without consideration for how it could have been viewed as offensive and accept his apology for what it is, rather than it being some kind of mask off moment for a guy with no track record of anything of the sort. The haste at which people have reached for comparisons between him and the likes of Ron Atkinson or Joey Barton is completely unhinged.
    These comments cannot be taken out of context of what was happening in Bordeaux at the time. Bordeaux owes its wealth to the French slave trade and always has had an undercurrent of racism in the city. In 2014 the Front National were making a big push to win the mayoral election in Bordeaux - a city traditionally dominated by the Gaullists and somewhere the FN thought they could make significant inroads. The FN challenge fell flat on its face and, like many other racists in the city, Sagnol was venting racial prejudice against, particularly, the sizeable Morrocan and Algerian community in Bordeaux.

    I will repeat once again what I said above - if Sagnol was really sorry for his comment he would have said 'I acknowledge that the comments I made were racist - I am sorry - I am committed to opposing racism and I support the activities of SOS Racisme and other anti-racist groups' - but he didn't do that (just like Lennon failed to apologise for threats against a woman he was in a relationship with). And when there was uproar in Ghana when Sagnol was pretty much a shoo-in for the manager's job - he once again made zero effort to address the issue.

    There is a reason why Sagnol couldn't get a job from 2017 until he was hired by Georgia in 2021.
    Last edited by Jolly Red Giant; 25/03/2024 at 9:55 PM.

  10. Thanks From:


Similar Threads

  1. Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders
    By backstothewall in forum Ireland
    Replies: 2312
    Last Post: 24/05/2024, 11:47 AM
  2. Irish Womens Senior Team
    By ForzaForth in forum Women's Football
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16/12/2023, 1:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18/08/2023, 8:40 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18/05/2023, 12:20 AM
  5. Manager wanted AUL Senior Sunday
    By like a badger in forum Junior League
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13/07/2006, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •