Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: World Cup debutantes

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts

World Cup debutantes

Always a fascination of mine, for some reason. There's never been a World Cup without at least one team making their debut, and there's usually more than that. Already have on for 2006 - Ukraine. Africa could almost provide only debutantes though! With one game left in the groups, Togo have to beat Congo to qualify, Ghana need only a draw against the Cape Verde Islands and Angola have a small chance of ousting Nigeria (currently level on points, but they're playing Rwanda while Nigeria play Zimbabwe). The backwards Irish flag - Ivory Coast - lost out in the final minutes to Cameroon after Drogba equalised twice and they now look like missing out, although they play Sudan while Cameroon have a tough tie against Egypt.

Guatemala are currently fourth in CONCACAF, level on points with Trinidad an Tobago; T&T won 3-2 during the week after two late goals from Stern John. The fourth-placed team will play either Uzbekistan or Bahrain (1-0 at the moment with the second leg to come), so another new team guaranteed there. Venezuela's chances of qualifying - the only South American team never to qualify (outside of Guyana et al, who are in CONCACAF) are slim at this stage. And the Solomon Islands are still in there - all they need to do is overturn a 7-0 deficit against Australia and beat Uruguay!

So two new nations guaranteed and another two at least likely. Looks like an interesting World Cup from that point of view anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Jim Riley keeps a meticulous eye on this very issue on the rec.sport.soccer newsgroup.

Don't forget that Slovakia and the Czech Republic are also well-positioned to qualify.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Cool! Never thought of the Czechs, seeing as they've both qualified together, but not separately.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Indeed!!!! Its what keeps international football great. Exciting for all countries....The more nubies the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope in the CONCACAF the third spot (after untouchables USA and Mexico) goes to Trinidad & Tobago or Panama. Mainly T&T would be nice, the West Indies are sports mad but need a good soccer team if they want to see soccer competing with cricket...
    Great fans as well there, remember Jamaica? I was hoping for Canada to do well also, but guess I'd better forget about that...

Hopefully in Africa we see the possible debutantes qualify, I don't like Nigeria personally so hopefully they get surprised just before the finish...
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    AFAIK, Togo still have a decent chance of qualifying and the Ivory Coast too.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    I hope in the CONCACAF the third spot (after untouchables USA and Mexico) goes to Trinidad & Tobago or Panama. Mainly T&T would be nice, the West Indies are sports mad but need a good soccer team if they want to see soccer competing with cricket...
    Great fans as well there, remember Jamaica? I was hoping for Canada to do well also, but guess I'd better forget about that...

Hopefully in Africa we see the possible debutantes qualify, I don't like Nigeria personally so hopefully they get surprised just before the finish...
    My best friend in primary school when I lived in Canada came from T & T being born in Port of Spain, so they get my vote on that basis alone.