Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Belgium - Saturday, 23rd March 2024 - Friendly

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I like to see Kellegher play the upcoming friendlies. We have plenty of evidence of what Bazunu can do - even if we can't agree what that is here - and it's of maximum use to an incoming manager to see the qualities of a viable alternative. It might also give Kellegher an additional chance to build his name in preparation for a move that would see him play regularly, which is good for us. There's little enough upside to seeing another Bazunu cap in the friendlies. If these were competitive games, I'd be much more wary of changing things up.
    I think that leaving out Bazunu for both games would give a bad message to him tbh. Whatever people think hes been our 1st choice and players want to play. It would be poor form for an interim manager to p1ss off the player by leaving him out completely
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Sarcasm and bluster are sure-fire ways to show you don't really have a point Stutts.

The second Sunderland goal was a great strike and I don't blame him at all for not saving it. But the reality is, over a large enough data sample, those shots are sometimes saved. That's the point of big data - to get away from the obvious howlers and work out how often he saves the (to use a phrase you've used before on here) the 30/70 shots.
    My point was pretty clear. And we're not talking about 30/70 shots here. That was not even a 1/99 shot.

"The second Sunderland goal would been a fantastic save, but then keepers do pull off fantastic saves from time to time. Part of the concern expressed is that his footwork isn't great (again see the l'Equipe article based on France's scouting last year), so he can at times not be in the best position to make the save in the first place. A step to the side can make a huge difference in some cases."

Your language was intended to suggest some plausible fault might to some extent be to blame. It just wasn't. Find another example - there are no shortages of them.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I think that leaving out Bazunu for both games would give a bad message to him tbh. Whatever people think hes been our 1st choice and players want to play. It would be poor form for an interim manager to p1ss off the player by leaving him out completely
    FWIW, I agree with this. Give them both a game. Maybe squeeze in a half for Travers if needed, though that may be a bit much over the window. They're all still too young for us to have decided on our long-term number 1 yet. (I include Travers in that, though obviously his loan recall has been quite disappointing)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Your language was intended to suggest some plausible fault might to some extent be to blame.
    No it wasn't. You just want to attack the poster rather than the post now. (Your comment on l'Equipe being especially petty)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I really don't, I was only arguing against what you wrote. I actually quite like you given how far back we go!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    What's the general feeling about the players caring about this one?

Do they even want to be included?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    As for whoever said ‘Kelleher has played a handful of games again this season’ - Kelleher has started 20 games this season. Of all our premier league players, that puts him 4th overall for starts in all comps.
    7 in the PL
    1 in the FA Cup
    6 in the League Cup
    6 in the Europa League

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    It is interesting that all the discussion on this thread has been about the two very good young goalkeepers we have.

As has been pointed out - the problem isn't the goalkeepers - it is the other 10 positions on the pitch (well 9 - because of Ferguson).

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    7 in the PL
    1 in the FA Cup
    6 in the League Cup
    6 in the Europa League
    Yep. I included all starts in all comps for all players. I think obviously only himself and Evan are in European comps, which would be pretty valuable experience.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    What's the general feeling about the players caring about this one?

Do they even want to be included?
    I think this is a good question tbh. IF the players are told that some or all of the staff will be staying on with new manager I think it matters more. If all the interim staff are back out the door after these 2 games I wouldnt be surprised if we had a lot of pull outs
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,342 Posts
    Belgian squad named

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,342 Posts
    Ireland squad announced at 12:30

Press conference on YouTube at 1:45
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    460 Posts

Just a guess ya know but I'd say Szmodics might get a call up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Thought I would post my ideas for a squad before JOSH reveals his. I don't think I've missed any injuries but no guarantees

Bazunu, Kelleher, O’Leary
    Coleman, Ebosele, Doherty, Collins, Omobamidele, O’Shea, O’Brien, Scales, Manning, Garcia-McNulty,
    Hodge, Cullen, Smallbone, Knight, Moran, Ogbene, Connolly, McAteer, Johnston,
    Szmodics, Ferguson, Idah, Cannon, Parrott, Obafemi,
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Republic of Ireland Squad - Belgium & Switzerland

Goalkeepers: Gavin Bazunu (Southampton), Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth)

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Nathan Collins (Brentford), Andrew Omobamidele (Nottingham Forest), Dara O'Shea (Burnley), Liam Scales (Celtic), Jake O'Brien (Lyon), Robbie Brady (Preston North End), Festy Ebosele (Udinese).

Midfielders: Josh Cullen (Burnley), Jason Knight (Bristol City), Will Smallbone (Southampton). Jamie McGrath (Aberdeen), Callum O’Dowda (Cardiff City), Mark Sykes (Bristol City), Finn Azaz (Middlesbrough), Mikey Johnston (West Bromwich Albion).

Forwards: Evan Ferguson (Brighton and Hove Albion), Adam Idah (Celtic), Michael Obafemi (Millwall, on loan from Burnley), Sammie Szmodics (Blackburn Rovers), Chiedozie Ogbene (Luton Town), Troy Parrott (Excelsior, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    795 Posts
    Good squad, fair play to O'Shea bringing Azaz in rather than Moran, which was the obvious call last time around as well.

Szmodics and O'Brien deserve their call ups also.

No McAteer - wonder if there's an issue or he just wasn't picked?

Just looking at the club names alone tells you where we are in terms of midfielders at the moment. Whereas the defence is a list of clubs across European top divisions, plus a somewhat out of place looking Robbie Brady - who is presumably in there as a marginally less worse option than Manning.

And I stand by my view from a few days ago that plenty of mid rank countries around Europe would be delighted to be able to pick the six strikers we've named there.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 14/03/2024 at 11:49 AM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Would like to see O'Brien get a game. Kinda surprised at Robbie Brady's inclusion - is he playing well these days?

The prospect of Szmodics and Ferguson up front is very exciting... Johnston feeding the pair on one side and Ogbene causing trouble on the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,342 Posts
    Squad details
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Couple of interesting calls there. Brady for Manning, and no Alan Browne? Azaz hasn't been a starter for Middlesbrough recently so arguably fortunate to be included.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Couple of interesting calls there. Brady for Manning, and no Alan Browne? Azaz hasn't been a starter for Middlesbrough recently so arguably fortunate to be included.
    browne injured. manning not fancied by another manager? maybe kenny knew a bit more than the rest of us (me included)

the midfield is so so poor. really need 2 or 3 players to spring up from anywhere

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Didn't know Browne was injured. Manning is just not a good defender, but has qualities going forward. Presumably he wanted another experienced head in there with the choice of Brady.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast