Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Belgium - Saturday, 23rd March 2024 - Friendly

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Some players struggle with spatial awareness. When the game is in front of them while playing as a defender, they can do well by advancing play by dribbling or passing, as we’ve seen Ebosele do at Udinese.

But when the ball is behind these types of players, they don’t really know where to go, what kinds of runs to make, etc.

Sometimes coaching can sort that out. Other times, they’ll just be limited and maybe play at a lower level. I think if we are going to use Ebosele it should be exclusively as a wingback/fullback and not further up the pitch.
    I'd agree, I'd like to see him as a full back for us. That being said Seamie was very good defensively the other day and I'm not sure I'd be writing him off yet. Pepe still playing for Portugal at 41. Full back is a bit different but there looks to be a bit of life in Seamie yet
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Yes, certainly not suggesting Ebosele should be picked ahead of Coleman — just that if we are going to use him, let’s put him in his actual position. It’s not a crisis putting him on late out of position just to get a run out/feel part of the group, just not ideal way to properly integrate him IMO.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    You know what. I'm wrong about Brady.

He's still only 32. Miraculously he's played a decent amount of games this last few seasons. In my mind I'd written him off as being permanently injured but when I look at the numbers I can't argue with them. 24 games this season, and 36 last season. And he has 61 caps and one of the great Irish goals in his locker.

Whatever was going on in his late 20s he's clearly either got over it or he's found a way to manage it. Either way I'll have to update my thinking.

On Festy, I didn't see a second of his very brief cameo. My dad has mobility issues so we had left the ground to avoid the crowds by the time he got on. But those few minutes hardly feel like a fair amount of time to make an assessment on him.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 25/03/2024 at 6:39 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    You know what. I'm wrong about Brady.

He's still only 32. Miraculously he's played a decent amount of games this last few seasons. In my mind I'd written him off as being permanently injured but when I look at the numbers I can't argue with them. 24 games this season, and 36 last season. And he has 61 caps and one of the great Irish goals in his locker.

Whatever was going on in his late 20s he's clearly either got over it or he's found a way to manage it. Either way I'll have to update my thinking.

On Festy, I didn't see a second of his very brief cameo. My dad has mobility issues so we had left the ground to avoid the crowds by the time he got on. But those few minutes hardly feel like a fair amount of time to make an assessment on him.
    If Brady could have an Indian summer to his career and give us a legitimate option at left back for a couple of years that would allow time for us to see if the likes of Adaramola can be a footballer

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    If Brady could have an Indian summer to his career and give us a legitimate option at left back for a couple of years that would allow time for us to see if the likes of Adaramola can be a footballer
    I'd still be worried that now that I've got my hopes he'll pick up another injury next week, but the numbers are the numbers. He's playing regular at a higher level than any left back we have (excluding Manning).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I'd still be worried that now that I've got my hopes he'll pick up another injury next week, but the numbers are the numbers. He's playing regular at a higher level than any left back we have (excluding Manning).
    Yeah I thought it was just silly he was even in the squad to be honest, but he was good the other day and if he can stay fit, which is always key with him, hes a good footballer

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    He's playing regular at a higher level than any left back we have (excluding Manning).
    Garcia MacNulty says hello.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Kenny used that system quite a few times.
    I'd struggle to call what we saw a 343. Oit was a 523 all day. Our wing backs never joined in in midfield to make a narrow 4 in midfield . Very occasionally Brady got forward as an orthodox wingback out wide to put in a few crosses and Coleman never did anything close to that. To genuinely call it a 343 Brady and Coleman would need to be coming into midfield to overload centrally and that just never happened

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Garcia MacNulty says hello.
    I'd have called up at least one of him or Adaramola, and put one of them on for 10 minutes. Probably Garcia MacNulty. It's hard to see either of them play but from what i read he seems to be doing the better of the 2 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I'd struggle to call what we saw a 343. Oit was a 523 all day. Our wing backs never joined in in midfield to make a narrow 4 in midfield . Very occasionally Brady got forward as an orthodox wingback out wide to put in a few crosses and Coleman never did anything close to that. To genuinely call it a 343 Brady and Coleman would need to be coming into midfield to overload centrally and that just never happened
    You would assume that the wing backs would get further forward against inferior sides if we adopted that system. It wasn't Belgium's strongest side, but man for man it was superior to ours. We'd give our eye teeth for a player like Trossard

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I'd have called up at least one of him or Adaramola, and put one of them on for 10 minutes. Probably Garcia MacNulty. It's hard to see either of them play but from what i read he seems to be doing the better of the 2 of them.

You would assume that the wing backs would get further forward against inferior sides if we adopted that system. It wasn't Belgium's strongest side, but man for man it was superior to ours. We'd give our eye teeth for a player like Trossard
    Hopefully both develop into senior internationals because each player brings something different. With MacNulty you've got a fullback that's defensively strong. With Adaramola you've got someone that's more suitable for the WB role.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    i actually think in the long run, Festy will be a good winger (as well as a wing back). I've seen enough at 17s, 19s, 21s and at Derby to think it'll come good. I just think he's not comfortable yet at international level. It's not like we were playing minnows. Whoever he ran at pace against (Deman maybe?), he did poorly, but they're a good defender. Long run, he's got pace, quick feet, the ability to go both ways and he can score goals. He'll get better in time in those key moments when it matters. he is only 21...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    i actually think in the long run, Festy will be a good winger (as well as a wing back). I've seen enough at 17s, 19s, 21s and at Derby to think it'll come good. I just think he's not comfortable yet at international level. It's not like we were playing minnows. Whoever he ran at pace against (Deman maybe?), he did poorly, but they're a good defender. Long run, he's got pace, quick feet, the ability to go both ways and he can score goals. He'll get better in time in those key moments when it matters. he is only 21...
    I agree he'll be a very good player in the long run, but do you not think he's a better defender than attacker?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I hope you're right because his late cameo didn't show much in the way of finesse! The ViaPlay commentator bemoaned that "he didn't see a picture". I once wrote Petr Cech off after a ropey 45 minutes at Lansdowne before he played for Chelsea mind you. Ebosele did look really dynamic at Derby though, no doubt.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415