Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The tie breaker?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The tie breaker?

Hi all, like everyone at home the Irish here in Canada cannot wait for the game on Wed. Although as I have said in previous posts I believe we will win on Wednesday night, my pot herbs are jumpin, just comes with the territory I guess. Anyhow, does anyone know where to find the EXACT tie breaker rules for qualification? I have been told different formats, but would like to see the official rules. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    hope this helps

From the Indo

Where two, or more, teams finish level on points, they are divided on the following criteria:

* The greater number of points in the head-to-head clashes

* The goal difference in the head-to-head matches

* The greatest number of goals scored in the head-to-head matches

* The goal difference in all matches

* The goals scored in all matches

* A play-off.

In the event of a three-way tie, or even four, the deciding factor would be whichever team has scored the greater amount of goals in games between the teams.

Were that to happen, Israel would be in the driving seat.

They have scored seven goals against Ireland, France and Switzerland and if the Irish (currently on four goals), Swiss (also four) or the French (only one) draw against each other to finish on 18 pts and don't beat that total then Israel, astonishingly, would win the group.

Be warned, if there is a winner from any of the three remaining games involving Ireland, Switzerland and France, and that team also beats Cyprus, then Israel won't win the group.

Of course, Ireland can avoid such high drama by simply winning their three games to top the group and qualify automatically on 22 points.

A draw against France and two wins over Cyprus and Switzerland would deliver 20 points, which would definitely guarantee a play-off. They would even win the group on 20 points if France don't beat Switzerland.

If France beat Switzerland and Cyprus after drawing with Ireland they too would finish on 20 points.

It would then all come down to goal difference to decide who qualifies automatically for Germany.

At present, both teams are tied on a plus seven goal difference while Ireland, significantly, have scored 11 goals to France's eight so far. The number of goals both teams get against Cyprus could be the deciding factor and France have the advantage by playing them at home in their final game.

This mirrors the situation France were in during the 1982 World Cup qualifiers when a goal-fest enabled them to edge out Eoin Hand's talented side on goal difference.

The Irish must travel to Nicosia in their penultimate game on October 8 knowing a win is crucial.

If tied sides can't been separated on any of the above criteria, then FIFA's final solution is a play-off at a neutral venue.

It's as tight as a miser-fist now and every point won, goal scored, and goal conceded, could ultimately make all the difference.
    JERRY: But are you still master of your domain?
    GEORGE: I am king of the county. You?
    JERRY: Lord of the manor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stor...=12&si=1462630

In the event of deadlock, FIFA's comprehensive World Cup rules and regulations would come into play.

Where two, or more, teams finish level on points, they are divided on the following criteria:

* The greater number of points in the head-to-head clashes

* The goal difference in the head-to-head matches

* The greatest number of goals scored in the head-to-head matches

* The goal difference in all matches

* The goals scored in all matches

* A play-off.

In the event of a three-way tie, or even four, the deciding factor would be whichever team has scored the greater amount of goals in games between the teams.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    A slight addition to Davey's post above:

If we beat France & Switzerland we win the group regardless of the result in Cyprus. I hadn't thought of this until Gerrit posted it yesterday.