Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wednesday night

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wednesday night

I cannot remember such an eagerly anticaped fixture in Lansdowne Road as the France match on Wednesday night. It could be one of the great nights for Irish football.
    I remember thinking after the Holland game four years ago that I might have to wait 30 years to see another match of that madniture in Dublin. The game on Wednesday has been compared to that meeting with the Dutch. However, I think the French game is even more intriguing. It has everything: two managers who are facing into a career-defining game and clearly don't like each other, two aging midfielders who hope to make the World Cup stage for one last time, the final battle in the long-running rivalry between Keane and Viera and a crowd that will create a great atmosphere. As one journalist noted at the weekened. This is a rare occasion: a match where a win is of critical importance to both teams.
    People have been focusing on the negatives in recent weeks but maybe it is time that us Irish supporters focus on the positives. I think the French defence is their most apparent weakness. Boumsong has looked like a liability for the French in the games he's been involved in. It now looks as though Sebestian Squilachi will replace Lilian Thuram in the centre of the French defence. Morrison caused Squilachi a few problems during his half hour in the Stade de France. Furthermore, the positioning of William Gallas at left-back could be another bonus for Ireland. Gallas played at right-back in the Paris game and from what I remember he neutralised the threat posed by his club-mate, Damien Duff. If Duff is fit, and I believe he will be, then Willie Sagnol may have more to worry about in defence and less time for offensive duties (something he did well against the Faroes).
    The pitch at Lansdowne is tight and may not be to the liking of the French players. The French have certainly been talking the talk in recent weeks but how will they feel when they see a hostile crowd and they get a kick early on from Roy Keane. The French appetite may suddenly diminish.
    The Dutch came to Dublin four years ago after disposing of a lacklustre English team in a friendly at White Harte Lane. Their over-confidence cost them. In a similar way, the French are arriving in confident mood. There's a chance that they may underestimate the Irish challenge. Remember that Irish teams have a tendency to perform best when they're underdogs.
    Despite all the doom and gloom from many Irish fans, it must be remembered that we are ranked 14th the world, just five places behind France. We are a top international team with a great home record. Why should'nt we be able to win this game? Home advantage is extremely important in international football.
    As for the role of the Irish supporters in Lansdowne, I don't believe we need to talk up the importance of creating an atmosphere in Lansdowne on Wednesday night. That will happen naturally. There is a buzz already. The supporters are excited and I am in no doubt that we will witness the best atmosphere in Lansdowne since September 1st 2001. It must be accepted that it is difficult to get Irish people excited in the same way as Italia 90. Expectancy levels have risen and the trappings of the Celtic Tiger have bred a mentality whereby it is difficult to create the atmosphere of old. Nonetheless, this match won't need an artificial atmosphere. Lansdowne will rock to its old foundations on Wednesday night. Hopefully the team will find the result to match the occasion.
    Last edited by TheJamaicanP.M.; 05/09/2005 at 1:38 PM.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Excellent post JPM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    fantastic post. i hope the crowd are really up for this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    fantastic post. i hope the crowd are really up for this
    Just like we were for the visit of Spain in 1993 and were muted almost from the beginning
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc
    Just like we were for the visit of Spain in 1993 and were muted almost from the beginning
    Well if we go into it with that attitude we won't achieve much. That was a freak match. Anyway, Julio Salinas isn't French. If he was, maybe they'd ask him back along with Zidane, Thuram and Makelele.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yep, I think this one has caught the publics imagination. Wednesday is a big big night in Irish Sport!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Excellent post JPM.
    obvious post, and he used the word "us" instead of "we" for supporters.

i.e. it is not us humans, it is we humans.

lets just hope that the crowd are really up for this.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 05/09/2005 at 3:35 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good post. If I get a ticket for this match, I'm going to do my best to be there a bit early, get there for about 7, and I'd recommend that others do the same to build up the atmosphere for this. Lansdowne can be very quiet at times but we saw in the Israeli game how the crowd can lift the team. Everyone there should give their all, not that anyone on this site needs much encouragement.

Unfortunately, the corporate brigade are out in force (I work with two people who otherwise would have no interest in going but who are being taken by various companies) which is making it difficult to get a ticket. This is going to be one hell of a game, one which I reckon we can win. The teams are just about even and we've got home advantage. There's a tendency to hype old dinosaurs of football, when one remembers that no one considers France a genuine contender in international football anymore.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

!!!!!

can't wait for this one. Much prefer night matches for atmosphere, So much depends on the result - its gonna be electric.

I was disappointed when zidane retired at the start of the campaign as he is one of the current era's great footballers that I've never seen play in the flesh. Im hopeful Keano & Kevin will keep him quiet now, and he has a stinker.

It's all in our own hands, though it'd be nice if the cypriots could do us a favour to couple with our win!!!!!!

Listening to Talksport the other night and 4 out of 5 pundits had us to lose by 0-1 or 1-2 - lets hope we can prove them wrong!!!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

..feckin Dubs delaying things again.....

Once again a game in Dublin has been delayed because of the Dubs sitting on their arses in a pub while the rest of use freeze at the game....

Match now kicks off at 1955......i`m assuming its down to TV......or perhaps to ensure that we can catch some of the Northern Ireland game....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Listening to Talksport the other night and 4 out of 5 pundits had us to lose by 0-1 or 1-2
    They're not too far wrong in my opinion. I will be shouting my head off for the lads on Wednesday, but in my heart of hearts I can see this just going the way of Spain in 1993.

Again, hope I'm wrong, but it just doesn't look like we have enough class in all areas of the park to overcome what the French have.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    match kicks off at 7.55?????????

What you on about?????/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover

What you on about?????/

Ive just seen this on www.fai.ie.

They dont give a reason for the change in the kick off time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover

What you on about?????/
    Its true, no reason given

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Have no fear the crowd will be up for this one. A few hundred corporates won't spoil the party. We need to settle quickly unlike the Italian game.

Goods news also on the FAI website:

Squad fully fit

All 23 members of the Republic of Ireland squad trained today ahead of Wednesday’s clash with France at Lansdowne Road.

Damien Duff took a full part in training and manager Brian Kerr said afterwards: “It looks like he will be available for selection.

“Damien got through the session so it looks like he will be okay. We had 23 players fit and training.”

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy
    Its true, no reason given
    For once give due credit for a good idea from Merrion Sq. Now there's time for some pre-match scoops and still be in the group early enough to get a rollicking pre-match atmosphere under way. Shades of 81 anyone?
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker
    Ive just seen this on www.fai.ie.

They dont give a reason for the change in the kick off time.
    pity they didnt just keep it quiet as the stadium wouldve filled earlier before the game thus making a better atmosphere before the game.

i've been at a few munster rugby matches over the years and there seems to be a good tradition of giving the team a huge ovation as they come off after the warm-up..... something similar on wed would be great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    A few hundred corporates won't spoil the party.
    That'd be my worry, I've heard stories about people getting tickets who've never been to Ireland games before. Too many of those and there's simply no way we can create the atmosphere needed. Every supporter in that ground should be giving it loads from the moment they enter the ground, I know I will be. I know we say this before every game but it's doubley important on wednesday, there seems to be a bit of friction in the France camp atm and getting the fans on their back wont help at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I often don't enjoy going to the International matches of late but I'm really looking forward to this one. Hopefully there'll be a great atmosphere.
    Champions!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    That'd be my worry, I've heard stories about people getting tickets who've never been to Ireland games before.

I've heard first hand that allocations have been cut across the board. Very short sighted of the FAI, I realise its a money issue but these guys wont be around to support the team when things get tough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast