Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Matches weekend 8th 9th March 2024

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Clarke, farrugia, Byrne, kavanagh mcaneff and probably Burke out. I'd take a point tonight but expect to lose if I'm honest, hard to see where the goals will come from with the shortage of fit creative players. Our gamble on semi permanently fit players may pay off in the long run but I think we won't be able to rely on derry to throw it away with bad results this year ....hoban will make the difference for them in tight matches

The creativity i hope will come from Kenny and Burns with Gaffney causing havoc. With Pico back you would be hoping our defence will start looking more reassured. Usually never to optimistic coming up here but big wins in previous matches can sometimes backfire on teams the next game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The Premier Division is the competitive division expected afternoon the promotion of Galway and Waterford, despite their defeat to Derry last night. With Cork likely to replace whoever is relegated this year, the Premier Division should remain competitive for the foreseeable future. Outside of that 11, Treaty are the next club who should have the resources to compete. 2,179 in the MF last night.
    I wouldn't be in the slightest bit confident Cork will replace whoever is relegated. Saw them last week against a poor UCD side, and they were pretty awful

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Ireland, England, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, New Zealand, Cape Verde. Eight nationalities between the two squads in Sligo tonight. Is this a record?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    Ireland, England, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, New Zealand, Cape Verde. Eight nationalities between the two squads in Sligo tonight. Is this a record?
    Athlone had 8 different nationalities in their squad alone last night….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    Also Wales.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Fairly comfortable night at the Brandy yesterday for the home side.
    Should have been a goal up when Kelly went clean through, but didn't hit the target.
    Not sure if Hoban was really the goalscorer for the first, could have been an OG. He claimed the match ball anyway. Does the League officially award goals?
    Some finish for his second, overhead kick just on the stroke of HT and that pretty much killed the game. Deserved penalty given, and after that went in, it felt like both teams were just going through the motions.
    Not too impressed with Waterford, had expected more off them, especially on the back of beating Pat's.

Decent enough crowd up from Waterford. Chatting to a few out the town after, and despite the defeat they were pretty happy with the progress made so far.

On away allocation, it appears to be the case that if the away team in the Brandywell has under 75 fans, they go in the Southend stand. If it's more, they'll get the terrace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    How was the keeper sent off??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Not sent off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bowler View Post
    I wouldn't be in the slightest bit confident Cork will replace whoever is relegated. Saw them last week against a poor UCD side, and they were pretty awful
    They should win the First Division. They have the biggest budget and are the only full time team. 0-2 win away to Longford tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    A hard earned point in sligo. Would have taken it before kick off. Either we get some of the injured players ba k soon or we will be to far behind. Bang average rest of team. Hoooban stays fit I think derry win the league as even when the rovers injured players come back based on last couple of seasons they will be iut again fairly soon. I hate being so negative but derry won't **** it away this year....we need to get lucky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    It does seem very familiar to last season but Derry are a different animal this year. The Hoban factor means that if Rovers slip up they are better placed to take advantage of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    It does seem very familiar to last season but Derry are a different animal this year. The Hoban factor means that if Rovers slip up they are better placed to take advantage of that.
    Idiot thinking by SOD 'you won't be starting every game in 2024'.....................no wonder he wanted away. Nice one Stephen, the guy can easily score at top level for 3 more years.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    If the starts made by Waterford, Galway and Sligo are a good indication for the rest of the season, Drogheda could be in for a difficult season. If Bohemians and Dundalk, who both went into the final day of last season challenging 4th, have dropped back, they could be in the fight to avoid the playoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    355 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Idiot thinking by SOD 'you won't be starting every game in 2024'.....................no wonder he wanted away. Nice one Stephen, the guy can easily score at top level for 3 more years.
    Looks like one of the worst decisions a club has made for a while….I’ve no idea what the thought process was in thinking I’ll keep the fella with 6 goals in Scotland’s 4th division and get rid of one of the most prolific strikers the league has ever had,madness……
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Can't understand that one. I presume the ref has decided it wasn't a goalscoring chance as there were covering defenders. But the keeper surely can't come out of his box to floor someone like that. I'm sure he'll say he was going for the ball, but that's not really relevant

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can't understand that one. I presume the ref has decided it wasn't a goalscoring chance as there were covering defenders. But the keeper surely can't come out of his box to floor someone like that. I'm sure he'll say he was going for the ball, but that's not really relevant
    The second home game were the officials have bottled decisions that have resulted in dropped points for Sligo Rovers. If it evens out over a season we are already due a few.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Sligo will be ok this season if tonight is anything to go by. I get with Rovers the comparison to last yr but Derry a different proposition with Hoban. We need to start winning games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Only caught the highlights but going off of them Rovers seemed to get away with one tonight. The injuries to such quality players would make it tough for any team though regardless of how strong the squad is.

Sligo were impossible to call prior to the season but I didn't have high hopes for them due to the general negative vibe around them and the largely unknown/injury prone signings. They seem to have settled right in though and look a good side, though there must be an element of frustration that they've only one win considering more have probably been deserved.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Red all day for pohls, wtf?
    Power. Is one of those shamrock tampons too so he’ll go missing for a while now I’d say.
    Mad start to the league, could be a crazy season.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast