Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LoI keeper howlers - 2024 edition

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    If you sell an academy player, the fee is accounted as pure profit, helps with ffp.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...revenue-stream

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    I think Munro for Dundalk has judged the flight of the ball poorly for Shels first goal on Friday.

The howler of the weekend goes to Leon Pohls for rovers though. Awful decision making and positioning, he had no reason to come off his line there but even when he did he left most of the goal wide open and it was a simple pass into the goal for McDaid

https://youtu.be/m3MVzgiYhmg?si=r8UoPyHAagZZ00Pp
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    That looks like a FIFA error. I think he's accepted it's a goal even before McDaid gets to the ball.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    https://youtu.be/0JKXSVoeS48?si=4Vj3f8zFDxnI5EaL

Similar howler from Bray on Friday…..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    the level of keeping and defending in the FD this season is beyond pathetic.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I think Munro for Dundalk has judged the flight of the ball poorly for Shels first goal on Friday.

The howler of the weekend goes to Leon Pohls for rovers though. Awful decision making and positioning, he had no reason to come off his line there but even when he did he left most of the goal wide open and it was a simple pass into the goal for McDaid

https://youtu.be/m3MVzgiYhmg?si=r8UoPyHAagZZ00Pp
    Bizarre decision making. To the point you'd wonder if he had money on it to be honest. Hopefully just part of his learning curve as he's realistically a complete rookie. Makes great saves but his positioning is suspect. About what you'd expect for a lad with that level of experience maybe but he needs to learn fast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    https://youtu.be/0JKXSVoeS48?si=4Vj3f8zFDxnI5EaL

Similar howler from Bray on Friday…..
    Saw that first goal when watching back the highlights, absolutely appalling. I thought Corcorcan coming out may have been a blessing.

On a side note, can't believe Matt McKevitt is scoring goals. I still don't overly rate him but credit where it's due.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Barry Murphy was on the LOI central podcast talking about keepers. He's of the opinion that a lot of the issues stem from Keepers being asked to do more than just the basics of keeping. I'd agree to an extent but there are still some very questionable blunders not related to "non goalkeeping duties". I think the goal Rovers conceded to Bohs was an example of that. Pohls just made a goalkeeping error, it wasn't distribution or being asked to do too much. He just had a very obvious brain fart and I think that's happening a lot more this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Saw that first goal when watching back the highlights, absolutely appalling. I thought Corcorcan coming out may have been a blessing.

On a side note, can't believe Matt McKevitt is scoring goals. I still don't overly rate him but credit where it's due.
    He was excellent on Monday but not hard to look good against us atm
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    The LOITV cameras didn't catch Kerry's equaliser in the Bowl, but it seems Kerry had a camera behind the goal too, which our keeper may have wished wasn't there (from 1:50)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The LOITV cameras didn't catch Kerry's equaliser in the Bowl, but it seems Kerry had a camera behind the goal too, which our keeper may have wished wasn't there (from 1:50)

Beyond lazy that UCD are only team across both divisions using that dross of a system. A campus full of students, surely someone can man a camera and run a stream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    They're paying to use it now too, which makes it worse.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    A campus full of students, surely someone can man a camera and run a stream.
    Kind of annoys me that people assume students are a free source of labour. We've a policy in our place that if someone comes looking for our students to work on something and all they're offering is 'experience' (often below the level the students are at) we tell them to pay them, at least minimum wage, or go somewhere else.

Apart from which, there's a lot of students in HEIs who, between classes, assisgnments, jobs, and commuting are clocking in at 50+ hours a week. They don't have the time to give, much less for free.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Yeah but the Arts students that are doing Film and TV (not commuting) will have the free time. Maybe there is a F+TV society that could be asked and maybe expenses paid by the club, easy internal money transfer between a club and soc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Maybe there is a F+TV society that could be asked and maybe expenses paid by the club, easy internal money transfer between a club and soc.
    What's the point if there's a system already in place though? Yeah, it missed the Kerry goal (no bad thing in fairness!) but it's generally been excellent, and people will miss goals too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Yeah but the Arts students that are doing Film and TV (not commuting) will have the free time. Maybe there is a F+TV society that could be asked and maybe expenses paid by the club, easy internal money transfer between a club and soc.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think UCD offers a film-making degree - it's film studies. So those students could wax lyrical about about semiotics in Kurosawa's Rashomon, and the implicit aural landscape of the silent movie, but may not have a clue how to set up a camera and lighting. If there was a club or soc where students were using kit and had the skills to help out, they might be useful as paid, not expensed, supplementary help to the system already in place.

It's not true that Arts students are underworked - I've spent ten of my 12 years in HE as an arts student (the other two in applied arts), and I work in a HEI arts faculty these days (let's face - all that study, what else am I fit for?!). To do well, it's a three to one ratio of independent study to contact, and about six to one in fourth year. Even cutting the independent part by a third still leaves a heavy workload, when, as a rule of thumb, every 5 ECTs requires 2-3 hours contact per week. Given that every degree is 30 ECTs per semester, that's about 12-18 hours weekly contact (not surprisingly, universities prefer the lowest possible figure!) and 24-36 of study. The last student survey I've seen would suggest that students who work do about 18 hours a week. And I know it's worse in science, healthcare, engineering and so on.

But, yeah, dodgy keepers - what's that all about? (Trying to get back on topic!)

What's the point if there's a system already in place though?
    For Trinners boys like me... any chance to laugh at UCD and forget the annual Colours drubbing!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    What's the point if there's a system already in place though? Yeah, it missed the Kerry goal (no bad thing in fairness!) but it's generally been excellent, and people will miss goals too.
    I've never heard pixellot described as anything other than horrendous. It's really awful.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I'm sorry but people would not have missed the Kerry goal. While people will make mistakes and miss things, these types of misses are more common with that system. Sure a few years ago it mistook a linesman for the ball on a sunny day. As for who runs the camera I'm not particularly most teams now use video analysis as part of their coaching and they don't just video the matches so if UCD are one of these teams (can't see why they wouldn't be tbh) then why not have the person who does the video for the training sessions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Would ya stop. It's not fit for the bin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    I'm sorry but people would not have missed the Kerry goal. While people will make mistakes and miss things, these types of misses are more common with that system. Sure a few years ago it mistook a linesman for the ball on a sunny day. As for who runs the camera I'm not particularly most teams now use video analysis as part of their coaching and they don't just video the matches so if UCD are one of these teams (can't see why they wouldn't be tbh) then why not have the person who does the video for the training sessions?
    Having recorded the odd game for Longford down the years it's a different remit to recording a game for a viewing audience. Generally you are keeping a wider shot so the coaches can see the entire pitch, movement off the ball etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast