Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend 1st to 4th of March 2024

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

Weekend 1st to 4th of March 2024

Premier Division

Friday 1st March (All 19:45 unless stated)

Bohemians v Dundalk
    Galway v Waterford
    Sligo V Shelbourne
    Derry v St Pats
    Shamrock Rovers v Drogheda (20:00)

Monday March 4th

Shelbourne v Galway
    Waterford v St Pats
    Dundalk v Sligo
    Drogheda v Bohemians
    Shamrock Rovers v Derry

First Division

Friday March 1st All 19:45

Cork v UCD
    Bray v Longford
    Finn Harps v Athlone
    Kerry v Treaty
    Wexford v Cobh

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    It will be interesting to see what happens with Bohs defence this week. I think they were quite solid against Pat's so your gut feeling would be keep it as is but Flores is a midfielder and McDonnell went off with a bit of an injury last Friday so moving Flores back to his natural position and bringing in one of the newly signed CB's would be the logical thing to do. Outside of that conundrum I think Connolly needs to start, haven't been impressed by Rooney at all in spite of him winning the peno (I more so credit the keeper for giving it away than Rooney winning it) so would probably start McDaid who looked lovely when he came on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Tough weekend for PAts away to Derry and Waterford, in fairness from a fans perspective thats a lot of miles over a weekend.
    Two wins for Rovers at home to Drogs and Derry would set the season off nicely but its hard to see based on the two matches so far.
    Bohs have probably the softest pair of matches over the weekend and could potentially win the league as early as February this year compared to April last year.

Cork v UCD in the first division will be an interesting one as will Harps v Athlone. Athlone hammered wexford and blew it big time against Cobh when they should have won easily ...proper test agaisnt Harps but they look a good dark horse for me

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    It will be interesting to see what happens with Bohs defence this week. I think they were quite solid against Pat's so your gut feeling would be keep it as is but Flores is a midfielder and McDonnell went off with a bit of an injury last Friday so moving Flores back to his natural position and bringing in one of the newly signed CB's would be the logical thing to do. Outside of that conundrum I think Connolly needs to start, haven't been impressed by Rooney at all in spite of him winning the peno (I more so credit the keeper for giving it away than Rooney winning it) so would probably start McDaid who looked lovely when he came on
    You should probably be crediting Rob Hennessey in giving it considering Pitaluga got the ball
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    A lot of teams could have very good weekends or very bad weekends.

On paper Shels look to have the best of it, a trip to Sligo and Friday followed by a home game against us.

After all the negativity at Bohs they could very well take 6 points from their matches against the Louth sides.

Rovers have somehow managed to get back-to-back home games over the weekend. Will that make a difference?

I'll say Shels to be top on Monday night.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Busy weekend for Kerry and Treaty who play each other at the same venue on Friday in the League and Monday in the Munster Senior Cup.

Tommy Barrett showed his hand and said he'd be going full strength on Friday and playing younger lads on Monday, which is the right approach especially with a lot of lads needing more minutes.

It's the type of game you could foresee Treaty dropping points in after coming through two tougher tasks already, but the surface in Mounthawk is difficult too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Similarly, James Sugrue said he'd be going all out on Friday - not that you have much choice when you've zero points on the board, in fairness! Keeping cards close to his chest about Monday, however, only that they'll assess matters after the weekend:

https://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/teah...erry-fc-372005

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Tough weekend for PAts away to Derry and Waterford, in fairness from a fans perspective thats a lot of miles over a weekend.
    Two wins for Rovers at home to Drogs and Derry would set the season off nicely but its hard to see based on the two matches so far.
    Bohs have probably the softest pair of matches over the weekend and could potentially win the league as early as February this year compared to April last year.

Cork v UCD in the first division will be an interesting one as will Harps v Athlone. Athlone hammered wexford and blew it big time against Cobh when they should have won easily ...proper test agaisnt Harps but they look a good dark horse for me
    Yeah, tough one for Pats, especially after the disappointment of Friday. We haven’t clicked yet, but hopefully will improve. thought we were the better side in the first half on Friday, second half was more even. I’d take your hand off now for 4 points from the two games, even 2 wouldn’t be the end of the world.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Similarly, James Sugrue said he'd be going all out on Friday - not that you have much choice when you've zero points on the board, in fairness! Keeping cards close to his chest about Monday, however, only that they'll assess matters after the weekend:

https://www.radiokerry.ie/sport/teah...erry-fc-372005
    Personally think the Treaty approach is a no brainer, but it's a difficult balancing act for Kerry. A good opportunity to put points on the board, but also within reach of a Munster final.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Yeah, tough one for Pats, especially after the disappointment of Friday. We haven’t clicked yet, but hopefully will improve. thought we were the better side in the first half on Friday, second half was more even. I’d take your hand off now for 4 points from the two games, even 2 wouldn’t be the end of the world.
    there’s gonna be a lot more of teams taking points off each other. If Drogs away is being considered one of the easier games over two nights that says it all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Personally think the Treaty approach is a no brainer, but it's a difficult balancing act for Kerry. A good opportunity to put points on the board, but also within reach of a Munster final.
    Kerry need a home league win more than anything. I don't think Treaty can be totally dismissive of a Munster final either. If Treaty are going to challenge Cork, Friday is a game they have to win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I wasn't too impressed by Derry at the Showgrounds TBH, they look to physically hustle possession and knock it long down the channels and they play with a very high press that leaves them vulnerable to a counter. Ye are best priced at a very tempting 9/2 atm but the prudent bet is to lay Derry, I expect them to be about 1.76 or so when the market fills out on betfair.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't that treaty are going to challenge Cork . Being tipped for the bottom with Kerry FC by most pundits and experts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Ye are best priced at a very tempting 9/2 atm but the prudent bet is to lay Derry, I expect them to be about 1.76 or so when the market fills out on betfair.
    Good price for Pat's, but wouldn't fancy them myself. Maybe I'm reading too much into the President's Cup match, but when they were put under pressure, they looked vulnerable. Could counter that they've only conceded one goal in two games, that goal being a penalty.
    For ourselves, who knows? Poor enough display in Sligo, struggled to get anything on target. We tried it last season, and it rarely worked, but going full pelt for the first 15-20 to try and get in front would be one way to attempt to deal with sides that come to the Brandy for a draw.

I'm sure it's just a quirk, but seems a bit hard on Pat's to have two aways in four days.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Pico Lopes back for Rovers tomorrow night,his organisation was badly missed at the back in the first 2 games of the season.
    Jack Byrne is still nowhere near returning by the sound's of it.
    2 big games for Rovers over the weekend with minimum 4 points expected I'd imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    It's started to snow heavily in Sligo at about 7 am, rain forecast for later.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    It's started to snow heavily in Sligo at about 7 am, rain forecast for later.....
    I just came on here to ask if the weather is threatening any of tonight's games. Asking from UK.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Decent amount of snow in Dublin as well. Not something you would associate with summer football

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Temperatures are all above zero, so shouldn't be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    An important game for Kerry tonight and also a tough one going by Treaty's flying start to the season. Kerry are badly in need of a home league win. They continuously fluffed their lines season when there was any glimmer of an opportunity to gain some positive momentum.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast