Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Politics and sport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Once again, be careful and don't eat yourself.
    I don't mod this particular subforum, but cop on to yourself or this rubbish will get you a ban.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    Should this nonsense not be in the international threads?
    Sport and politics being intertwined are as old as well sport and politics. Orwell is quoted ad nauseum by detractors of the value of sport with 'Sport is war minus the shooting'. The full quote is "Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting". I doubt many that use the quote have read the full essay (https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the...orting-spirit/) Undoubtedly an interesting read and lends to the old adage of 'the more things change the more they stay the same'.

I think this dicussion has a place in any forum, and discussion on this should be encouraged irrespective of being outside the strict topic of the forum. Its always an interesting topic and finds it's ways in to relevance - sponsorship, competitions we compete in featuring sides from countries that should arguably be excluded, our sport being complicit in sportwashing ond so on.

I thought I said it previously in the thread but cant see it but I dont think youth is a reason not to hear, and act upon their concerns. The issue would be if they were pushed in to protest, for example, by others agenda. Its why there is a serious duty of care for senior coaches and sport particpants to behave appropriately. etc etc.

Here is another 'interesting' quote/opinion on all of this stuff.....

“Sports, politics, and religion are the three passions of the badly educated. They are the Midwest's open sores. Ugly to see, a source of constant discontent, they sap the body's strength. Appalling quantities of money, time, and energy are wasted on them. The rural mind is narrow, passionate, and reckless on these matters. Greed, however shortsighted and direct, will not alone account for it. I have known men, for instance, who for years have voted squarely against their interests. Nor have I ever noticed that their surly Christian views prevented them from urging forward the smithereening, say, of Russia, China, Cuba, or Korea. And they tend to back their country like they back their local team: they have a fanatical desire to win; yelling is their forte; and if things go badly, they are inclined to sack the coach.”
    William H. Gass

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I don't mod this particular subforum, but cop on to yourself or this rubbish will get you a ban.
    It's part of an old saying "he's so stupid the only thing he know is not to eat himself" it was the shortened to "don't eat yourself" and if the same guy did the same thing again it was "careful now... Yada Yada Yada.
    If it offends you I apologise.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    No, but you have to remember they'll not all be fully aware of the full facts to make their own mind up as to protest or not. So that would mean some are doing it because the others are, don't want to be left out or pier pressured into doing it. As I said before if they ALL really felt that passionate about the situation they shouldn't have took to the pitch and refused to play the game. Anyway we know now it wasn't a protest.

Shinkicker to the U17 players...
    "So little girls, are you sure that you've done sufficient research on this issue? Sit down and tell me what you know..."
    I'm imagining you stroking a handlebar moustache.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    You dreaming more like it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I never said they can't understand, I said fully understand. Not all teenagers develop at the same rate, physically and mentally. Therefore they'll not all have the same understanding of any situation. I never said nor implied 16-17 year olds needed celebs to to tell them right from wrong. I implied there are more people with more clout than teenagers making statements about the iserali/Palestine situation which are falling on deaf ears. As for talking to teenagers I have three teenage granddaughters as well as nephews and nieces. I'm gonna say probably only one could tell you the names of the iserali and palistine leaders. They all see the news and what's happening and know it's wrong but the rest are more worried about klopp leaving Liverpool and what is dua lipa wearing. They all know the difference between right and wrong and are living a good healthy, relatively carefree teenage life. Albeit in two or three that will change. Your comment re yourself and other posters telling me that I'm wrong, well thats the type of pier pressure used by oppressors which is forced on to a lot of teenagers that I was talking about in my post.
    It must be how you got by in life so far, but it is certainly not how I operate. As for me living in a tight bubble, if that's what you think you are entitled to do so, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Once again, be careful and don't eat yourself.

Not teenagers develop at the same rate mentally nor physically, but these girls have an understanding and obliviously did mature quicker than many there age. And yes you did imply 16-17 need celebs to tell them what to think. If you read the majority of replies thats what most got from your comments

And again I ask you why a teenager can't fully understand the situation? The internet has plenty of information for them to research
    Last edited by Neish; 26/02/2024 at 9:09 PM.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    You dreaming more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    Ugh close thread!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Not teenagers develop at the same rate mentally nor physically, but these girls have an understanding and obliviously did mature quicker than many there age. And yes you did imply 16-17 need celebs to tell them what to think. If you read the majority of replies thats what most got from your comments

And again I ask you why a teenager can't fully understand the situation? The internet has plenty of information for them to research
    I didn't say that teenagers need politicians or celebs to tell them what to say, I did imply that politicians and celebs with more clout can't get thing stopped. If you read it differently, well that's why you are the leader of your world.
    I am also content that in your world you believe every u17 player is well versed on world politics and events.
    Below is part of one of your posts, I haven't cut it, it was a stand alone paragraph.
    Can you clarify?

Its a simple form of protest and why should 16-17 years olds be allowed to protest?

I would finish this with my normal phrase, but i wont for two reasons
    1. It upset john83, for which I apologised
    2. I've never had to use it three times on anybody

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I didn't say that teenagers need politicians or celebs to tell them what to say, I did imply that politicians and celebs with more clout can't get thing stopped. If you read it differently, well that's why you are the leader of your world.
    I am also content that in your world you believe every u17 player is well versed on world politics and events.
    Below is part of one of your posts, I haven't cut it, it was a stand alone paragraph.
    Can you clarify?

Its a simple form of protest and why should 16-17 years olds be allowed to protest?

I would finish this with my normal phrase, but i wont for two reasons
    1. It upset john83, for which I apologised
    2. I've never had to use it three times on anybody
    I never said every u17 player is well versed in the full history and current affairs of the Israel & Palestine ,you don't need to be aware of every little bit of data on the issue to see killing 30,000 in response to approx 1,300 is wrong.

Its now been reported that the girls simple turned to face their nation flag, which just shows how fragile the current Israeli establishment are, seeing every little comment or action as antisemitism. Trying to shutdown all criticism no matter how just , which is straight from the play book of every totalitarian state

The quote you used from me is obviously a typo was meant to read "Its a simple form of protest and why shouldn't 16-17 years olds be allowed to protest?" I would of thought reading my previous comment anyone with a bit of common sense would of realised that

As for you're normal phrase, I never heard it in my 43 years living on the planet and I just tried googling it, got no results for the phrase. So its not as common as you think
    Last edited by Neish; 27/02/2024 at 10:01 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    I never said every u17 player is well versed in the full history and current affairs of the Israel & Palestine . I said these girls were and you don't need to be aware of every little bit of data on the issue to see killing 30,000 in response to approx 1,300 is wrong.

The quote you used from me is obviously a typo was meant to read "Its a simple form of protest and why shouldn't 16-17 years olds be allowed to protest?" I would of thought reading my previous comment anyone with a bit of common sense would of realised that

As for you're normal phrase, I never heard it in my 43 years living on the planet and I just tried googling it, got no results for the phrase. So its not as common as you think
    I'm glad you accepted your mistake, it just proves you are not as perfect as you thought you were. If you've never heard the phrase before it's probably just doesn't exist in your world. This makes me wonder,
    Now who is living in a tight bubble?
    you don't need to be aware of every little bit of data on the issue to see killing 30,000 in response to approx 1,300 is wrong
    are you saying it was OK to kill the 1300? Or the iseralies should only have killed 1300?
    Because I believe the first death regardless as the which side it was on was one too many.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I'm glad you accepted your mistake, it just proves you are not as perfect as you thought you were. If you've never heard the phrase before it's probably just doesn't exist in your world. This makes me wonder,
    Now who is living in a tight bubble?
    you don't need to be aware of every little bit of data on the issue to see killing 30,000 in response to approx 1,300 is wrong
    are you saying it was OK to kill the 1300? Or the iseralies should only have killed 1300?
    Because I believe the first death regardless as the which side it was on was one too many.
    I'm saying if killing 1,300 is described as horrific and get the assailants deemed as terrorist, which is 100% correct in my book. Then why does killing 30,000 not bring the same criticism and labels, and in actual fact is describe in much of the media and by many politicians as justified defensive actions

I never said nor implied that just because I never heard a phrase it doesn't exits. I said the phrase you used is not as common as you think as I havn't heard it in 43 years, google brought no results for it & you also had to explain it to another person on here.

I never said I was perfect either.You're the one making assumptions and grand sweeping statement about age groups and what they can or can not understand. And I'm not the only one on this thread that has accused you of such. So I really couldn't be bothered wasting anymore time with you

12. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123