Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Politics and sport

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Just saw that, you will see in my original post I said "apparently" just in case there was an alternative solution or in case it had been doctored in some way.
    "You will see.." ahahaha

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I’m sure they will acknowledge they were wrong and apologise, as they’ve done bef.......oh, wait.
    Actually...

Ok, it's just one journalist rather than the Embassy (albeit I think he might have been the one who started the rumour)

And I've no doubt he'll be back accusing someone else of irrational anti-Semitism shortly

Still, if nothing else, this definitely proves the girls didn't turn their backs on the Israelis. And I'd still have supported them if they had

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Ah here. This is just complete propaganda. Sure youcould even see in the video some of the Irish girls clapping at the end of the Israel anthem.
    They act without impunity, at all levels. It really is getting serious now. They have even stopped listening to the the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    I’m sure they will acknowledge they were wrong and apologise, as they’ve done bef.......oh, wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Actually...

Ok, it's just one journalist rather than the Embassy (albeit I think he might have been the one who started the rumour)

And I've no doubt he'll be back accusing someone else of irrational anti-Semitism shortly

Still, if nothing else, this definitely proves the girls didn't turn their backs on the Israelis. And I'd still have supported them if they had
    Well, I stand corrected. Always a first time I suppose. Though I see he couldn’t quite bring himself to apologise.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    Though I see he couldn’t quite bring himself to apologise.
    Very good point actually.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    "You will see.." ahahaha
    ??????

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Is playing National Anthems bringing politics into sport in the first instance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    In Netanya, on Freedom Square, from sunrise to sunset, every day, kids from 12-18years march waving Israeli flags as footdrill formation display, about 30 of them. It was a little unnerving tbh. What was more thn a little unnerving was when taking a picture of this, one of the Israeli paramiltary police cars pulled up beside me to instruct me to delete any pic and that taking any pic or vids wasnt allowed. Definitely the strangest place I have been following Dundalk FC.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Should this nonsense not be in the international threads?

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    All I can say is that when I was 17 I’d of embraced the Israel anthem as an act of solidarity as I would do today - so I find it difficult to believe not even one of the current squad might feel the same - bottom line is that imo sports events shouldn’t be used like that - as a previous poster mentioned if you feel that strongly then don’t participate- older readers would remember how some of us went to play rugby during the apartheid regime and others didn’t
    Well I would assume that the girls were engaging in an act of solidarity with the 2.5million people who have been bombarded with shells, bombs and missiles for the past 4 1/2 months which has resulted so far in the deaths of almost 30,000 people (with probably the same amount buried under rubble (about 40% of whom are children) and the Gaza Strip, one of the most densely populated parts of the planet being turning into a wasteland

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    https://twitter.com/reptracker/statu...GSa2qsKpw&s=19
    Underage sports should not be allowed to make any political statements.
    Wow, that is quite the take.
    What happens if underage players want to make political statements?
    Detention? Lifetime bans or just banned until they're 18?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    Wow, that is quite the take.
    What happens if underage players want to make political statements?
    Detention? Lifetime bans or just banned until they're 18?
    No, but you have to remember they'll not all be fully aware of the full facts to make their own mind up as to protest or not. So that would mean some are doing it because the others are, don't want to be left out or pier pressured into doing it. As I said before if they ALL really felt that passionate about the situation they shouldn't have took to the pitch and refused to play the game. Anyway we know now it wasn't a protest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Headline front page Irish News yesterday "Tánaiste (M Martin FF) the GAA must do more to encourage Catholics to join the psni".
    A couple weeks back junior minister for sport (T Byrne FF) says that the government will not tell sporting organisations what to do in relation to Basketball Ireland.

I think it is time now to stop pretending. We must introduce a ban on anyone saying in public that sport and politics shouldn't mix.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    https://twitter.com/reptracker/statu...GSa2qsKpw&s=19
    The attached link apparently shows the ROI U17 women turning their backs while the iserali national anthem was being played. Surely these kids are too young to fully understand what going on politically, to take this stance. If they really felt that strongly about it they shouldn't have took to the pitch at all.
    Underage sports should not be allowed to make any political statements.
    Seems the teenagers have a better understanding than you.

FAI & UEFA deemed the games was to be played, the players may have face suspensions and fines and team would of faced points deductions or possible banning if they had not played.
    Thousands of people their age have been killed by the IDF And Isreli establishment who show no remorse

Its a simple form of protest and why should 16-17 years olds be allowed to protest?
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    No, but you have to remember they'll not all be fully aware of the full facts to make their own mind up as to protest or not. So that would mean some are doing it because the others are, don't want to be left out or pier pressured into doing it. As I said before if they ALL really felt that passionate about the situation they shouldn't have took to the pitch and refused to play the game. Anyway we know now it wasn't a protest.
    Another grand and sweeping statement. Only fact you need is Israel has slaughtered tens of thousands of innocent civilians in less than 6 months, the 30,000 death mark was passed a few days ago. Only a tiny percentage of these people will have had anything to do with the October 7th attack, or indeed any attack on Israel.

If you don't think that is worth protesting you are one that is ignorant

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Headline front page Irish News yesterday "Tánaiste (M Martin FF) the GAA must do more to encourage Catholics to join the psni".
    A couple weeks back junior minister for sport (T Byrne FF) says that the government will not tell sporting organisations what to do in relation to Basketball Ireland.

I think it is time now to stop pretending. We must introduce a ban on anyone saying in public that sport and politics shouldn't mix.
    Let's not forget the rampant sport washing that multiple states participate in (Saudi Arabia hosting F1 races, bidding for the world cup, buying a stake in Newcastle. Qatar hosting a world cup which meant a move to a winter schedule instead of a summer one also buying PSG, Abu Dhabi and Man City/City football group). Russia and their extensive doping program for the Olympics, China and their Olympics. Sports and Politics have been linked for a long time and anyone saying otherwise has their heads firmly in the sand.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Another grand and sweeping statement. Only fact you need is Israel has slaughtered tens of thousands of innocent civilians in less than 6 months, the 30,000 death mark was passed a few days ago. Only a tiny percentage of these people will have had anything to do with the October 7th attack, or indeed any attack on Israel.

If you don't think that is worth protesting you are one that is ignorant
    I am fully aware of the numbers and the manner in how they were reached. We know now it wasn't a protest by the isish players, but if it was do you really believe a protest by 11 teenagers would stop whats going on, when governments from God only knows how many countries, high profile celebrities as well as millions possibly billions posting on FB & X (twitter) can't get them to stop.
    Makes me wonder who the ignorant one is?

Be careful now and don't eat yourself.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I am fully aware of the numbers and the manner in how they were reached. We know now it wasn't a protest by the isish players, but if it was do you really believe a protest by 11 teenagers would stop whats going on, when governments from God only knows how many countries, high profile celebrities as well as millions possibly billions posting on FB & X (twitter) can't get them to stop.
    Makes me wonder who the ignorant one is?

Be careful now and don't eat yourself.
    Its exactly these sort of protests that brought about the end (or at least the beginin of the end) of South Africa's apartheid, gained civil rights for Catholics in Northern Ireland & African Americans in the USA.

You made a statement that a 16 or 17 year old can't understand political injustice & killing of a massive scale, and arrogantly refuse to back down for that, despite just about every other poster here telling you you're wrong. Seem to think a 16 or 17 year old need some celebs to tell them right from wrong. Well you need to get out more and speak to more young people as you seem to live in a very tight bubble.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Its exactly these sort of protests that brought about the end (or at least the beginin of the end) of South Africa's apartheid, gained civil rights for Catholics in Northern Ireland & African Americans in the USA.

You made a statement that a 16 or 17 year old can't understand political injustice & killing of a massive scale, and arrogantly refuse to back down for that, despite just about every other poster here telling you you're wrong. Seem to think a 16 or 17 year old need some celebs to tell them right from wrong. Well you need to get out more and speak to more young people as you seem to live in a very tight bubble.
    I never said they can't understand, I said fully understand. Not all teenagers develop at the same rate, physically and mentally. Therefore they'll not all have the same understanding of any situation. I never said nor implied 16-17 year olds needed celebs to to tell them right from wrong. I implied there are more people with more clout than teenagers making statements about the iserali/Palestine situation which are falling on deaf ears. As for talking to teenagers I have three teenage granddaughters as well as nephews and nieces. I'm gonna say probably only one could tell you the names of the iserali and palistine leaders. They all see the news and what's happening and know it's wrong but the rest are more worried about klopp leaving Liverpool and what is dua lipa wearing. They all know the difference between right and wrong and are living a good healthy, relatively carefree teenage life. Albeit in two or three that will change. Your comment re yourself and other posters telling me that I'm wrong, well thats the type of pier pressure used by oppressors which is forced on to a lot of teenagers that I was talking about in my post.
    It must be how you got by in life so far, but it is certainly not how I operate. As for me living in a tight bubble, if that's what you think you are entitled to do so, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Once again, be careful and don't eat yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Sports and Politics have been linked for a long time and anyone saying otherwise has their heads firmly in the sand.
    It is inevitable that no matter what security precautions Sport takes to keep Politics out, the latter will often find a way of sneaking in, by an unlocked back door, if necessary.

But that is a whole lot different from Sport throwing open the front door and inviting Politics in a with a cheery "Welcome to our home, slip off your shoes and make yourself comfortable! Would you like a nice cup of tea, or maybe something stronger?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast