Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardai and EL fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gardai and EL fans

Something that has annoyed me for a while but came to a head last night after the game in Dalymount.

At Croke Park and Landsdowne when there is a game the streets near the stadium are closed to cars and limited to pedestrians to allow people in and out of the games safely and quickly.

They do similar on Richmond Road for games in Tolka.

The principle is there to allow people walk on the street when its going to be too crowded to walk on the footpath safely.

So why the fu ck is Doyles corner and a route into town not closed off for 15 mins after the game.

Or do the gardai just enjoy pushing people onto the footpath, even when there are bottles being flung at them and horses on the footpath. Its mind boggling how moronic the cops are at this game, time after time.

Can anything be done about these fools?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    So why the fu ck is Doyles corner and a route into town not closed off for 15 mins after the game.

Or do the gardai just enjoy pushing people onto the footpath, even when there are bottles being flung at them and horses on the footpath. Its mind boggling how moronic the cops are at this game, time after time.
    Doyle's corner is a busy cross roads junction.

Richmond Road isnt, they can just stop letting cars down there and keep them on the main road.

There would be 36000 in Lansdowne or up to 80,000 in Croker.

there was no more than 3500 at Dalymount on Friday

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On the subject of Gardaí, at the match the other night (Bohs-Rovers), I noticed one Garda who was actually doing his job really well. When the sending off happened, he rushed over to where a group of young Bohs fans were congregating to give the guy abuse as he walked towards the dressing room. He got in the middle of them and took the heat out of the situation. I also noticed that at half-time, he was genuinely looking out for any trouble that could have happened as the players re-entered the pitch.

That sort of stuff goes unnoticed a lot....I know he is being paid to do this but so many Gardaí just don't look interested and are very blasé about doing their job properly at these games.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Libero
    On the subject of Gardaí, at the match the other night (Bohs-Rovers), I noticed one Garda who was actually doing his job really well. When the sending off happened, he rushed over to where a group of young Bohs fans were congregating to give the guy abuse as he walked towards the dressing room. He got in the middle of them and took the heat out of the situation. I also noticed that at half-time, he was genuinely looking out for any trouble that could have happened as the players re-entered the pitch.

That sort of stuff goes unnoticed a lot....I know he is being paid to do this but so many Gardaí just don't look interested and are very blasé about doing their job properly at these games.
    I actually thought the Gardai did an excellent job overall on Friday. They
    seemed to be aware of what they had to do, who they ahd to watch and how to stop the trouble from starting, instead of them chasing their tails trying to put an end to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Kinda off-topic but there's one local Garda big-wig that's always down the Carlisle and he seems to enjoy the whole thing. He's also a Gaelgóir.

Btw, I honestly can't remember seeing Quinnsboro Road sealed off for match nights. And you can say there wouldn't be that many people at the Carlisle but if you're familiar with the Carlisle you'll remember there's the Bowler right across the street and there's always loadsa people out there around 10 on a Friday night so there would be a fair few people pouring onto the Quinnsboro Road around the same time and it's not the widest street.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    You couldn't close Doyles Corner on friday night for even 5 minutes. Traffic would be nuts as very difficult to detour.

Its not as if a large crowd at Dalymount anyway.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thought the guards were good at Dalyer the other night too.
    I especially liked the young lad who, leaning casually against one of the hoardings and facing into Jodi F, gave us all a laugh with his sheepish grin when he nearly fell through it.
    God knows, we needed it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    You couldn't close Doyles Corner on friday night for even 5 minutes. Traffic would be nuts as very difficult to detour.

Its not as if a large crowd at Dalymount anyway.
    What do you think happens when 2,000 rovers fans and a similar number of bohs fans simultaniously leave the ground.

The shopping centre and doyles corner get swamped with fans for 5 mins and the traffic is nuts!

So why not do it safely? Rather than have guards shoving people onto crowded footpaths and all the antagonism that goes with that.

Interesting that the bohs fans believe the Jodi was well policed. There was a lot of bad feeling about the way we were dealt with, again. And we were all very well behaved despite ourselves!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What do you think happens when 2,000 rovers fans and a similar number of bohs fans simultaniously leave the ground.

The shopping centre and doyles corner get swamped with fans for 5 mins and the traffic is nuts!

So why not do it safely? Rather than have guards shoving people onto crowded footpaths and all the antagonism that goes with that.

Interesting that the bohs fans believe the Jodi was well policed. There was a lot of bad feeling about the way we were dealt with, again. And we were all very well behaved despite ourselves!
    there wasnt 2000 hoops to start with, about 1400-1500 over there.

you cant shut four routes at one junction so close to the city centre for a few thousand people attending a football game on a friday night.

To close Doyles corner, you have to divert traffic from Hanlons corner, Harts Corner, the Mater hospital and down towards phibsboro fire station. It'll never happen, so get over it.

As for how Rovers were 'treated', you had your own club stewards and the Gardai on Connaught street. If you have an issue, I suggest you speak to John Noonan or the superintendent from Fitzgibbon Street. The gardai identified who was likely to cause trouble from Bohs and kept them away from Doyles corner after the game. Thats good policing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohs til i die
    As for how Rovers were 'treated', you had your own club stewards and the Gardai on Connaught street. If you have an issue, I suggest you speak to John Noonan or the superintendent from Fitzgibbon Street. The gardai identified who was likely to cause trouble from Bohs and kept them away from Doyles corner after the game. Thats good policing.
    Thats not my point. They kept the BSC from doyles corner, no incident.We agree on that, but its taken them 10 years to figure that much out.

But why threaten people at a match in Dalyer with arrest for crossing the road, while closing roads for matches in Croker and Landsdowne?

Maybe its logistics to not closing the road, but im not so sure. They closed the road when internationals were on in dayler.

We were walking down the road towords the mater when some bottles/glasses were thrown at us from the park beside Des K carpets. A number of people stepped onto the road to avoid the flying glassware, and were pushed/chased back (including the 2 horses, who were actually blocking the path at one point while people were being pushed into them by the cops behind) into the path of the missiles! "get off the fu kcing road youse jackeen scumbags"... Because keeping the road clear is more important than protecting people from attack?

But there is no way the guards would dare treat rugby/gaa fans like we get treated in Pigsboro. And it is unique to that ground. And someone will get hurt if the cops continue to run horses up and down already dangerously crowded footpaths. Rant over.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Obvioius and easy solution so would be to keep Rovers fans in the ground for an extra 10-15 minutes, thats what other police forces do across Europe. No crowd congestion, no traffic congestion.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy.McClure
    Obvioius and easy solution so would be to keep Rovers fans in the ground for an extra 10-15 minutes, thats what other police forces do across Europe. No crowd congestion, no traffic congestion.
    they did.
    but we are all funnelled the exact same direction after we are let out

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats not my point. They kept the BSC from doyles corner, no incident.We agree on that, but its taken them 10 years to figure that much out.

But why threaten people at a match in Dalyer with arrest for crossing the road, while closing roads for matches in Croker and Landsdowne?

Maybe its logistics to not closing the road, but im not so sure. They closed the road when internationals were on in dayler.

We were walking down the road towords the mater when some bottles/glasses were thrown at us from the park beside Des K carpets. A number of people stepped onto the road to avoid the flying glassware, and were pushed/chased back (including the 2 horses, who were actually blocking the path at one point while people were being pushed into them by the cops behind) into the path of the missiles! "get off the fu kcing road youse jackeen scumbags"... Because keeping the road clear is more important than protecting people from attack?

But there is no way the guards would dare treat rugby/gaa fans like we get treated in Pigsboro. And it is unique to that ground. And someone will get hurt if the cops continue to run horses up and down already dangerously crowded footpaths. Rant over.

the Gardai ddnt close the roads for the cup finals in the late 90's with crowds of 10,000 so they wont close them for crowds of 3500

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the Gardai ddnt close the roads for the cup finals in the late 90's with crowds of 10,000 so they wont close them for crowds of 3500
    fair enough, but my question is simply why not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "get off the fu kcing road youse jackeen scumbags"...
    Did they actually say that, or are you just saying that's what they were thinking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley
    Did they actually say that, or are you just saying that's what they were thinking?
    was said apparently.

i agree that the cops handled this game relativley well compared to what we are used to at the derby, but they were still heavy handed and abusive towards us after an incident free game. the horses on the footpath was just plain bonkers, and totally uneccessary.
    btid and others reckon they were grand with the bohs fans, so why harass us? it just causes antagonism that Friday could have done without.
    Last edited by Roverstillidie; 04/09/2005 at 10:51 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    btid and others reckon they were grand with the bohs fans, so why harass us?
    given they know Bohs fans will stay in the area, or in dalymount, they wanted to clear all hoops out of the area. tough sh1t really if you feel you were harassed.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    given they know Bohs fans will stay in the area, or in dalymount, they wanted to clear all hoops out of the area. tough sh1t really if you feel you were harassed.
    So why do they ask us to stay behind? Most rovers fans come out of the Connaught street side and turn right to go towards doyles corner and head into town. Surely since you said above about Bohs fans staying in the area it makes more sense for the bohs fans to stay back. Anyway whats done is done in this situation I suppose.

KOH

JUZ

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juz the Hoop
    So why do they ask us to stay behind? Most rovers fans come out of the Connaught street side and turn right to go towards doyles corner and head into town. Surely since you said above about Bohs fans staying in the area it makes more sense for the bohs fans to stay back. Anyway whats done is done in this situation I suppose.

KOH

JUZ

Juz

both Bohs and Rovers made representations to the gardai last week about allowing the hoops out first. The gardai refused to listen.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Get the home fans to stay back? Yeah right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast