Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: player preparation

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

player preparation

Big match on wednesday night - now im not the kind of person to begrudge a player a night out in dublin, but i'm not sure if a player should be in around town 4 nights before a game that could be one of the most important for years

- i aint gonna name the player(s) at all - but i just want to know what others' opinions are on this

are we expecting a bit much of footballers these days? or are some of the players taking the **** if they're out around dublin few days before game (drinking obviously)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My guess Robbie Keane in Temple Bar with 2 birds and 2 double vodkas and red bulls?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    is this a joke?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    gaelic players...none county level, can sometimes go 4months without a drink and a 40K a week player, at international football, ahead of one of the biggest games in the recent history of irish football is out on the lash 4nites before it..feck sake

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya dar, something tells me its robbie keane too. and then he will miss a sitter on wednesday.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oconghc2
    Big match on wednesday night - now im not the kind of person to begrudge a player a night out in dublin, but i'm not sure if a player should be in around town 4 nights before a game that could be one of the most important for years

- i aint gonna name the player(s) at all - but i just want to know what others' opinions are on this
    Whats your source?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    if any of the squad (ill ask kerr tomorrow) are out tonight and we lose Im starting a hate campaign

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know of a fella in Sligo who got drunk watching an Ireland WC match, then went to play for his local team right after, and scored a hat-trick

But then the next week he did the same and broke his leg.

(Pointless post, I apoogise.)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    Whats your source?
    have heard that robbie was out over the last week but it was another player we saw ourselves - not rolling around, but red eyed and in a chipper!

dont like this whole naming thing because i know i was a bit ****ed off after the faroes game away when pictures started sprouting up. Still, like someone mentioned there bout GAA (club players even) it makes you ask questions about some players! This is exactly the comparison I thought of when we saw him!

Somehow i doubt Cunningham or Kilbane were out - honest enough players, i think they realise the importance and honour playing for your country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    yeh it was me...jst feckin spit the name out!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I know know what my guess might be, especially if he was seen in a chippy
    (but a KFC would have confirmed it ). I don't think it matters too much
    as long as it is not the night before the game, the players have to relax
    afterall. Infact in the case of the late great Brian Clough I believe it was
    compulsory!! And remember he took Nottm Forest to two European cup wins,
    back to back, a club which now 'plays' in the third tier of English football
    apparent stop gap on it's journey into the Conference.

I can't find the full story but I think this quote some it up:-
    http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA6F9.htm

"although it is hard to imagine Arsene Wenger forcefeeding his stars a few beers the night before a big match"

This made me laugh too:-

"Memorably he accused Peter Lorimer of conning referees and told Eddie Gray that if he had been a race-horse he would, given his injury record, have been put down"

A great manager with an even bigger head than Mourinho, and considerably less money!!

RIP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soper
    I know of a fella in Sligo who got drunk watching an Ireland WC match
    I swear, it was'nt me
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Out relaxing 4 days before a game - big deal. Bearing in mind top premiership teams almost have games every Wednesday in CL and then on Saturday in EPL, I suspect they too grab a chance to relax before their next match. Relaxation is part of preparation before a big game or any major event in one's life if you want to give it your best shot. Now if it was the night before or a couple of night's before that might be a different matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    i agree owls fan its in Ireland on sunday today which is a total rag.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan
    Out relaxing 4 days before a game - big deal.
    I don't know. I got a txt from a mate in Ireland this morning saying Robbie, Harte, Doc and one other were photographed at 4am in Lillie's & Robbie photographed leading a Karaoke in Firhouse. He didn't say what day though - if it was in the middle of the week it's maybe less of an issue.

I'm sorry but if these guys are preparing properly, like proper athletes, they should be in bed at a good hour and be in tip-top condition to make the most of training. Mentally & pysically. Kerr only gets the players together sporadically and set-pieces & set moves require a lot of concentration to get 100% right. The 3 players named above are 3 that are lacking match fitness too so they should be the ones making extra sure they're in mint condition.

Anyone can tell you that being out late, being hungover and then exerting yourself leaves you open to being run down and more prone to picking up a bug or a strain. There's a bug in the camp already (Kilbane's virus) so this makes it doubly irresponsible.

These guys are carrying the hopes of thousands of us and this is the respect they're showing us? I'm livid actually. Assuming they were drunk, Robbie & co might as well be saying **** you right to my face. Even if they weren't drunk 4am is simply too late.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I don't think going out several days before a game makes any difference,
    these guys are under a lot of pressure, being too wound up before a big
    game is probably counter productive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Pished me off to but I'll reserve my judgement until Wednesday night. If it doesn't work out then there will be a few players with very serious questions to answer. Does anyone know if Kerr sanctioned this night out? Was it mentioned on the web cast today? I'd love to know what Roy thinks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bit O'Red
    Pished me off to but I'll reserve my judgement until Wednesday night. If it doesn't work out then there will be a few players with very serious questions to answer. Does anyone know if Kerr sanctioned this night out? Was it mentioned on the web cast today? I'd love to know what Roy thinks
    kerr was on tv earlier saying that he didnt mind at all and that it was the same as going out on a monday night before a sat game so he was fine with it. i think its wrong, by all means go out and unwind 5 days before a big game but not till 4am... especially with training the next day!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These are super fit players.I couldnt give a rats if a player was out five days before a match.I live in firhouse and would of heard if robbie keane was around doin karioke.Give it a break.It would not affect a player on wednesday if they were out on saturday.Some of yous on this board are acting like mothers.To be honest i think most of yous are looking for an excuse if we get beatin on wednesday night.If we get beaten its because were werent good enuf not because a player went out for a drink 5 days before a match.What you want them to do sit in with roy keane the life soul of boredom.These guys are in their 20's.They all live in england if came home for a few days and if i got too see my mates id be out getting ****ed aswell.And the whole faroe party what was wrong with that.End of season.Im glad too that the players are havin a laugh if the were thinkin about a match every day till that game they would go insane.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Taxi driver that just dropped me home said he picked up Robbie Keane and Ian harte at 5am fri morning and brought them to Robbies apartment in Citywest. They said there was no curfew in force that night so guess they fely they were doing no wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast