Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier & First Division Predictions - 2024

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Was talking to one of the UCD players Dads that played agaisnt Dundalk in Abbotstown , was very complimentary about the Imports for Dundalk and thought they were better than PAts who UCD also played. i forgot to ask him did PAts ah ve a strong team out but i assume if it was just a bunch of kids he would have told me. I wouldnt take 7th just yet Nesta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Bar the top 2/3 the only other consistant prediction is Sligo bing in real trouble. I'd agree tbh but Ive always felt in the past that Sligo are masters of being the dark horse and when flying well below radar is when when they are most dangerous. It'll certainly be interesting to see how things pan out in that regard, they are really sticking by Russell. If they are as poor as the predictions, based on signings in, the question is why they wouldnt have a more competative budget. It’s straight forward on why Dundalk have gone backwards, Bohs have other priorities, Drogheda p/t, Galway and Waterford as promted sides need to adjust but whats the issue at Sligo? I do think Dundalk are gambling on unknowns, player fitness but it could work out better than we think - would I take 7th place now? Very very tempting!
    Poor signings last year is why the budget is so small

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Was talking to one of the UCD players Dads that played agaisnt Dundalk in Abbotstown , was very complimentary about the Imports for Dundalk and thought they were better than PAts who UCD also played. i forgot to ask him did PAts ah ve a strong team out but i assume if it was just a bunch of kids he would have told me. I wouldnt take 7th just yet Nesta
    A UCD player's dad said that? Damn it, season ticket in the bin now what’s the point
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    I like that the team that beat us 3-1 isn't as good as the team we drew 1-1 with. Proper LoI stuff right there

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Bar the top 2/3 the only other consistant prediction is Sligo bing in real trouble. I'd agree tbh but Ive always felt in the past that Sligo are masters of being the dark horse and when flying well below radar is when when they are most dangerous. It'll certainly be interesting to see how things pan out in that regard, they are really sticking by Russell. If they are as poor as the predictions, based on signings in, the question is why they wouldnt have a more competative budget.
    For myself at least I have seen nothing from Russell to say he is a great manager in the making. Sligo very nearly got dragged into the relegation dog fight last year and now have what looks to be a small squad filled with unknown quantities & some injury concerns. In situations like those you need a really good manager to get the best out of what's available and as said I've not seen that from Russell. So I'd be tipping him for the first manager sacked and depending on who they bring in afterwards tipping them for relegation. But I know nothing about what's happening behind the scenes in Sligo or how good of a manager Russell actually is I'm just basing this on what I can see from the outside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Not sure anyone picked him for first manager to go first yetwhich I was very surprised at. If we have a bad start to the season he’ll be gone pretty quickly I’d imagine. Lot of people not happy he was kept on as it was and the goodwill from the European run is long gone. Personally glad to see him given another go as he’s done great things for the club down the years but it could be a short stint for him if things go wrong. Only player we have at the moment over 25 is Dick Brush as far as I’m aware but the signings have looked decent in pre season. As many injuries as last season and we’ll be in serious trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    devine first manager gone , to be followed by higgins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Premier Division

1. Rovers
    2. Pats
    3. Derry
    4. Shels
    5. Bohs
    6. Drogheda
    7. Dundalk
    8. Waterford
    9. Galway
    10. Sligo Rovers

First Division

1. Cork City
    2. UCD
    3. Bray
    4. Wexford
    5. Cobh
    6. Athlone
    7. Harps
    8. Treaty
    9. Longford
    10. Kerry

First sacked Devine. Any sort of bad run the Bohs fans will want him gone. There already seems to be a lot Bohs fans unhappy with the squad assembled by Devine.

Think O’Donells job might safe this season as there’s new management and owners at Oriel. Obviously barring they go on a terrible run of form and end up in a relegation dogfight. Personally don’t think there’s a team in the division that’ll lose every other week. There looks very little between the bottom half of the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Devine sacked and Bohs finishing in the top 5 is a common prediction. If they get off to a difficult start, will a change of manager be enough to get them back towards the top half?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Obviously time will tell but I do see Galway, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogs, Sligo and Bohs being much worse than the top 4. So think a relatively modest point total could see any of those finish 5th.

Would back Bohs myself to have the most individual quality to turn the most draws I to wins over the season to be best of the 'laggards'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Poor signings last year is why the budget is so small
    Players on multi-year contracts and cant be gotten off the books, anticipated fall off in crowds so squuesing the budget, breaking the budget last year so needs addressing this year? Poor signigs last year imoacting on budget this year adds to questions including on stticking by Russell too although Nahx4's comment on Brush being the only player over 25 does imply that there could longer term strategy in the works. Other years with clubs filling relegation spots and the lack of a real relegation battle outside the bottom 2 it was a good time to build but this season its a significant gamble and needing a good chunk of luck on injuries. It still wouldnt surprise me if Sligo are significantly better than people expect this season without there being that much actual evidence to back this opinion up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Not sure anyone picked him for first manager to go first yetwhich I was very surprised at. If we have a bad start to the season he’ll be gone pretty quickly I’d imagine. Lot of people not happy he was kept on as it was and the goodwill from the European run is long gone. Personally glad to see him given another go as he’s done great things for the club down the years but it could be a short stint for him if things go wrong. Only player we have at the moment over 25 is Dick Brush as far as I’m aware but the signings have looked decent in pre season. As many injuries as last season and we’ll be in serious trouble.
    I did, post #28
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Curious what any Cork fans expect from the season, obv favourites but bar a few marquee signings the team/squad looks thinner than I expected.

They should win it but Galway really laboured year 1 under Caulfield & I wonder could something similar happen here

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    A lot of you are putting Treaty United in the bottom three of D1 I notice, despite having competed pretty well in the division each season, in the play offs or in the mix for them despite running on pocket dust, and there having been some investment for this season, granted not big swinging dick investment like Galway or Derry but some nonetheless.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Cork should be the runaway winners of the First Division. UCD will probably have enough to make the playoffs. Whether they will be in the same position of Waterford by being too far off first but well above third is hard to gauge.
    The playoff structure doesn't offer a major incentive for finishing 2nd. Giving the higher placed playoff finalist home advantage would be an incentive. For the relegation promotion playoff then, I think the First Division clubs should be given home advantage. They contest more games within the playoff structure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Shams
    Derry
    Pats
    Shels
    Drogs
    Galway
    Bohs
    Rovers
    Dundalk
    Waterford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Cork should be the runaway winners of the First Division. UCD will probably have enough to make the playoffs. Whether they will be in the same position of Waterford by being too far off first but well above third is hard to gauge.
    The playoff structure doesn't offer a major incentive for finishing 2nd. Giving the higher placed playoff finalist home advantage would be an incentive. For the relegation promotion playoff then, I think the First Division clubs should be given home advantage. They contest more games within the playoff structure.
    Nothing wrong with the playoff final. First division team has won more of them since it was brought back in as it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    PD
    1. Rovers
    2. Derry
    3. Pat’s
    4. Shels
    5. Galway
    6. Bohs (The optimist in me)
    7. Dundalk
    8. Sligo
    9. Waterford
    10. Drogs

FD
    1. Cork
    2. UCD
    3. Bray
    4. Longford
    5. Wexford
    6. Harps
    7. Athlone
    8. Cobh
    9. Treaty
    10. Kerry

Cup: Derry
    Europe: Rovers to make Conference League
    Top Scorer: Hoban (If he stays fit)
    First Manager to get the boot: O’Donnell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    A lot of you are putting Treaty United in the bottom three of D1 I notice, despite having competed pretty well in the division each season, in the play offs or in the mix for them despite running on pocket dust, and there having been some investment for this season, granted not big swinging dick investment like Galway or Derry but some nonetheless.
    Bit of a guessing game sometimes when it comes to the FD. Mind you I’m heading to UCD’s first home game so will actually get a look at them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I'm going for one horse races at the top of both divisions with only Derry having a slight outside chance in the Premier Division. If Cork don't romp the First Division by at least 20 points then that would be a poor performance the rest of the division looks like junk. I expect things to be very tight in mid-packs in both divisions.

I'm going for Devine to be first Premier Division manager to get the bullet within the first 10 games I think he is seriously up against it there with Russell a very close 2nd to be next after him. I could only see Higgins or Daly a risk of getting sacked only if their teams badly underperform, the rest I think should see out the season. I'll be surprised if Ryan and Henderson see out the full seasons in the First Division I'll go with Henderson first to go

Premier Division

1. Shamrock Rovers
    2. Derry City
    3. St. Patrick's Athletic
    4. Shelbourne
    5. Bohemians
    6. Dundalk
    7. Waterford
    8. Galway United
    9. Sligo Rovers
    10. Drogheda United

First Division: