Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOI TV Coverage 2024

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

LOI TV Coverage 2024

Couple of articles in the media today about an increase in televised fixtures for next season.

Virgin are set to show at least 14 games:
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...961127277.html

In addition to those 14 games, Scanlon confirmed RTÉ are set to show 18 league games with a further four in the cup, while an announcement regarding TG4’s Women’s Premier Division coverage for 2024 is also expected in the coming days.
    It looks like we are actually very near having a televised game a week, which would be massive for the league.

Scanlon calling it like it is saying that we're only going to see a handful of grounds across the ~45 domestic games he's estimating will be broadcast in 2024.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...379120392.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    The Thursday night game will be something most fans will be eager to avoid I reckon. It was tried by Dundalk I think but definitely Derry and wasn’t popular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see viewer numbers from standalone games but Thursday and Monday nights are a poor choice for games.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    652 Posts
    I doubt Scanlon was raising the issue of 5 grounds only being good enough for TV lightly, it was getting it out there early.
    So lets assume no games from Dundalk or Drogs and very limited say 4 from Waterford/Galway
    That means 41 games from the other 6 teams....average of 7 each..........maybe my Maths is wrong but id say thta means at least 9 of Rovers 18 home games will be on TV..
    This could be a serious loss of Crowds for Rovers and for other clubs as well.
    Dont like to be negative but the complete lack of compensation for clubs has to change. regarding Thursday matches , any match not on a Friday in Tallaght is normally at 50% of the Friday crowds....plenty to think about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I doubt Scanlon was raising the issue of 5 grounds only being good enough for TV lightly, it was getting it out there early.
    So lets assume no games from Dundalk or Drogs and very limited say 4 from Waterford/Galway
    That means 41 games from the other 6 teams....average of 7 each..........maybe my Maths is wrong but id say thta means at least 9 of Rovers 18 home games will be on TV..
    This could be a serious loss of Crowds for Rovers and for other clubs as well.
    Dont like to be negative but the complete lack of compensation for clubs has to change. regarding Thursday matches , any match not on a Friday in Tallaght is normally at 50% of the Friday crowds....plenty to think about
    Are the Thursday matches that are to be televised on the dates where the matches are already scheduled for the Thursday due to the Euros or a completely separate Thursday? If I was to experiment with a Thursday match Bohs vs us in Dalymount seems like the best option as it would be highly likely to sell out regardless of the day of the week due to Dalymount's current capacity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    I have some sympathy for the TV companies as regards Thursday and Monday games. After all, people complain when games are on a Friday when they clash with the rest of the fixtures. Maybe Saturday evening would be better than Thursday though.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I would say we shouldn't write anything off on the basis it didn't work pre 2020. Completely different set of circumstances in place now all of a sudden.

The game being moved to Thursday is certainly not for the benefit of the match going fans. It's to try and maximize the tv viewership numbers.

I am hopeful the Thursday night might work out. PL fans view midweek football as bonus football, which is why I'd say the league cup is generally enjoyed more than the initial rounds of the FA Cup which gets in the way of the 'real football'.

You'd imagine that any of the Dublin or Louth derbies (facilities being the issue) would be have a decent crowd for tv even on a Thursday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kksaints View Post
    Are the Thursday matches that are to be televised on the dates where the matches are already scheduled for the Thursday due to the Euros or a completely separate Thursday? If I was to experiment with a Thursday match Bohs vs us in Dalymount seems like the best option as it would be highly likely to sell out regardless of the day of the week due to Dalymount's current capacity.
    Thursday 23rd May is the date chosen. Shouldn't really clash with anything, but the Europa League final is scheduled for the day before in Dublin.

Games scheduled that weekend are

Bohs v St Pats
    Derry v Sligo
    Galway v Dundalk
    Waterford v Drogheda
    Shamrock Rovers v Shelbourne
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 18/01/2024 at 11:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    Couple of articles in the media today about an increase in televised fixtures for next season.

Virgin are set to show at least 14 games:
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...961127277.html

It looks like we are actually very near having a televised game a week, which would be massive for the league.

Scanlon calling it like it is saying that we're only going to see a handful of grounds across the ~45 domestic games he's estimating will be broadcast in 2024.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...379120392.html
    But is it really, with no TV deal clubs are getting nothing for this, TV may be paying FAI something but clubs are essentially handing over free broadcasting rights.

Should be something like 5k for the home team and make it a 1k for interest for the away side, whatever the future breakdown that's up to a deal to be agreed, but as things stands its €0.00 to all clubs.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    There should of course be something for being shown on TV. Its reality that it can impact numbers going to a game, particularly away support and its is those additional numbers that Dundalk eg get significant benefit. I dont think it should be presented as compensation for a drop in attendance rather than rights to broadcast the sporting product.

There isnt nothing in it for clubs, it is additional opportunity to exploit - those selling ground naming rights will sell easier or get a premium more for broadcast games imo. Viewership numbers and the spread of those people could be better brand exposure for a sponsor than the same or similar people week in week out at games. Its another selling point at minimum and even if games are not broadcast from the ground regularly there could be key games that will, fixture lists flashed up and score updates with a company name featuring each time, if a game is being host then main and grond sponsors are all over the place.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    There should of course be something for being shown on TV. Its reality that it can impact numbers going to a game, particularly away support and its is those additional numbers that Dundalk eg get significant benefit. I dont think it should be presented as compensation for a drop in attendance rather than rights to broadcast the sporting product.

There isnt nothing in it for clubs, it is additional opportunity to exploit - those selling ground naming rights will sell easier or get a premium more for broadcast games imo. Viewership numbers and the spread of those people could be better brand exposure for a sponsor than the same or similar people week in week out at games. Its another selling point at minimum and even if games are not broadcast from the ground regularly there could be key games that will, fixture lists flashed up and score updates with a company name featuring each time, if a game is being host then main and grond sponsors are all over the place.
    I think it's easy to over-egg the impact of TV for LOI clubs. Firstly - it's too late for the next seaosnn or two to do anything to take advantage of this anouncement of increased coverage. Multi-year sponsorship and stadium deals are already done, so there will be limited positive impact re sponsorship for a few years. The second thing is that coverage of the LOI is oftenn inconsistent and rather sporadic. Yes - it's going up for this seaosn. But it could easily be reduced again in future years, as that is what has happened previously. As a business person i wouldn't be digging deeper into my pocket on the possibility of increased future exposure that may well never arise.

Balanced against the long-term, hypothetical positive impact of TV games is the short-term, demonstrable negative impact of reduced gate receipts, reduced matchday inncome etc. The clubs for whom being on TV would work out best are those with severe capacity constraints - e.g. Bohs and Pats. They would have little or nothing to lose from it, as they'd probably sell out their games regardless anyway. Rovers will probably struggle to sell out all or almost all their games this year, so being on TV would probably cost them money overall in reduced attendances.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 18/01/2024 at 7:16 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Scanlon confirmed at the launch that Virgin were paying for the rights.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/12016146...coverage-2024/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I think the Thursday trial is a real positive. Most LoI fans will surely tune in. With no other football on and it not being a Friday (more people out on a fri) will hopefully see good numbers tuning in.

they need to pick the right match and I’d say Bohs Pats or Rovers Shels which should both sell out regardless of tv

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckett View Post
    Scanlon confirmed at the launch that Virgin were paying for the rights.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/12016146...coverage-2024/
    But paying who - the clubs or the FAI?

And if it's clubs, will it be enough to make up for a reduced attendance?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    But paying who - the clubs or the FAI?

And if it's clubs, will it be enough to make up for a reduced attendance?
    The FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I think it's easy to over-egg the impact of TV for LOI clubs. Firstly - it's too late for the next seaosnn or two to do anything to take advantage of this anouncement of increased coverage. Multi-year sponsorship and stadium deals are already done, so there will be limited positive impact re sponsorship for a few years. The second thing is that coverage of the LOI is oftenn inconsistent and rather sporadic. Yes - it's going up for this seaosn. But it could easily be reduced again in future years, as that is what has happened previously. As a business person i wouldn't be digging deeper into my pocket on the possibility of increased future exposure that may well never arise.

Balanced against the long-term, hypothetical positive impact of TV games is the short-term, demonstrable negative impact of reduced gate receipts, reduced matchday inncome etc. The clubs for whom being on TV would work out best are those with severe capacity constraints - e.g. Bohs and Pats. They would have little or nothing to lose from it, as they'd probably sell out their games regardless anyway. Rovers will probably struggle to sell out all or almost all their games this year, so being on TV would probably cost them money overall in reduced attendances.
    Is there an announcement due on naming rights for Oriel? Maybe its done but if not it is a selling point. Marketing is basiclly about over egging things in general imo but I do get your point. I would not be disappointed to not have games in Oriel televised particularly when there is LoItv to fall back on when ye cant get to a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I have some sympathy for the TV companies as regards Thursday and Monday games. After all, people complain when games are on a Friday when they clash with the rest of the fixtures. Maybe Saturday evening would be better than Thursday though.
    Sligo and Longford play on Saturday's. When the majority of clubs play on Friday, Saturday might be the better choice for the live tv game.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is there an announcement due on naming rights for Oriel? Maybe its done but if not it is a selling point. Marketing is basiclly about over egging things in general imo but I do get your point. I would not be disappointed to not have games in Oriel televised particularly when there is LoItv to fall back on when ye cant get to a game.
    It sounds like Oriel can expect to host few or no live games this season though, due to the facilities and vista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    First lot of RTÉ live games announced -

Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk, Friday, Tallaght Stadium - 16 February, 2024, kick-off at 19:45
    Derry City v St Patrick's Athletic, The Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium - Friday, 1 March, 2024, kick-off at 19:45
    Galway United v Shamrock Rovers, Eamonn Deacy Park - Friday, 15 March, 2024, kick-off at 19:45
    Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians, Tallaght Stadium - Friday, 29 March, 2024. kick-off at 19:45
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    So, total games confirmed so far:

Shamrock Rovers v Dundalk - 16th Feb - 7:45pm - RTÉ
    Derry City v St Pat's - 1st Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
    Shamrock Rovers v Derry City - 4th Mar - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
    Galway United v Shamrock Rovers - 15th Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
    Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians - 29th Mar - 7:45pm - RTÉ
    Galway United v Bohemians - 1st Apr - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
    Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers - 22nd Apr - 7:45pm - Virgin Media
    TBC - 6th May - Virgin Media
    TBC - 20th May - Virgin Media
    TBC - 23rd May - Virgin Media
    TBC - 3rd June - Virgin Media

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast