Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI TV Coverage 2024

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Fair play to Shams. Where’s McBennett now after him saying they’ll show the champions at least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Don't think RTE will take much notice but that's a pity.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Great camera angles and graphics, one or two areas for improvement but it's some difference from last year.
    Fair play, I'd given their games a miss after last year's coverage (and the pitch tbh) but love hearing that the effort has been put in. I wonder if being run from overseas helps.

How much of motivation for the Rovers statement has to do with their requirements to provide camera angles for VAR I wonder?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts
    After the Devoy farce another more ridiculous behaviour from Shamrock Rovers loaded with threats to affect LOI games. No LOI team has any entitlement to the national broadcaster showing their European games live and RTÉ are currently in full cost containment mode on anything beyond their existing commitments, LOI teams have always been way down their list of priorities even when they grudgingly shown European games live it's no shock they don't the appetite currently
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    Wasnt it Rovers that spoke loudest about the negative impact of games being televised live a few years ago with talk of resfusing RTE permission to show games in Tallaght? They were correct about lack of a fee involved for broadcasting rights then, they are right about these games not being broadcast now albet RTE have a real exuse currently. But its a mixed message regardless of the rights or wrongs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    After the Devoy farce another more ridiculous behaviour from Shamrock Rovers loaded with threats to affect LOI games. No LOI team has any entitlement to the national broadcaster showing their European games live and RTÉ are currently in full cost containment mode on anything beyond their existing commitments, LOI teams have always been way down their list of priorities even when they grudgingly shown European games live it's no shock they don't the appetite currently
    In this life, most are content to be sheep, but only those strong enough and confident enough can go on to be the shepherd.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think Shamrock Rovers have a point there, but I would extend the criticism beyond not showing Rovers games to not showing any of the Irish teams in Europe. What makes it even more absurd is that there are European games on Irish free to air TV this week: On Tuesday, Virgin 2 are showing Bodo Glimt vs Red Star Belgrade, on Wednesday, Virgin 2 are showing Kyiv vs Salzburg and RTE 2 are showing Young Boys vs Galatasaray. Those are Champions League Playoffs rather than Europa League or Conference League, but still...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Contractually they have to show the playoff round. It’s a bit crazy nowadays when all of the big nations qualify for the groups automatically

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Wasnt it Rovers that spoke loudest about the negative impact of games being televised live a few years ago with talk of resfusing RTE permission to show games in Tallaght? They were correct about lack of a fee involved for broadcasting rights then, they are right about these games not being broadcast now albet RTE have a real exuse currently. But its a mixed message regardless of the rights or wrongs.
    That was about the 7:05 kick off times RTE used to change games to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Don't let your Rovers blinkers blind you. There is no entitlement to show games but surely there are some minimum expectations we are allowed expect. Club GAA games and under 20 rugby are regulars on rte. I've paid my licence fee (probably shouldn't have bothered) and I've sheled out 60 or 70 euros on streams watching Rovers ,pats , shels.
    Nothing will change with how we are treated as a league if we all just accept we are 2nd class citizens with no rights to expect anything.

L

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    In this life, most are content to be sheep, but only those strong enough and confident enough can go on to be the shepherd.
    When did Eric Cantona join the group?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    An going problem for the league marketing wise is the lack of a consistent standalone time for the star game of the weekend. Solving that should be crucial for the marketing of the league.
    When the majority of us are supporting our own clubs on a Friday, we should be able to comfortably watch a star game from the league on another evening. Saturday night seems the most suitable, though it might clash with some other events on occasion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    An going problem for the league marketing wise is the lack of a consistent standalone time for the star game of the weekend. Solving that should be crucial for the marketing of the league.
    When the majority of us are supporting our own clubs on a Friday, we should be able to comfortably watch a star game from the league on another evening. Saturday night seems the most suitable, though it might clash with some other events on occasion.
    Saturday night would be a tough sell to the general public I think. Most people have plans with friends or family on Saturday evenings so Saturday night TV is the last thing they are thinking of. I think Virgin were right with the Thursday slot. It's ****e for the teams but there's very little competition for viewers and you will get LOI neutrals at home as well.

On the Rovers statement. I think they managed to pick the one time that people might side with RTE. It's been a massive summer of sport on RTE with the Euros, Olympics and GAA all being televised. The Olympics and Euros getting pretty much all day coverage when they were on. Average Joe and Joan are going to see a statement saying "we should've been on TV" and think Rovers want to be shown above those big 3 events which undoubtedly drew bigger audiences and sponsorship money than any LOI game ever has. With RTE and the financial debacle they needed to prioritize money making ventures and they would undoubtedly get support from the majority of the public for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Saturday night would be a tough sell to the general public I think. Most people have plans with friends or family on Saturday evenings so Saturday night TV is the last thing they are thinking of. I think Virgin were right with the Thursday slot. It's ****e for the teams but there's very little competition for viewers and you will get LOI neutrals at home as well.
    Fair point as well. Possibly clubs need to vote on Thursday, Saturday or Sunday?
    For the standalone games, I'm not even thinking about terrestrial TV stations as they cannot be relied upon. Through LOITV, the clubs should build a consistent kick off for the star game. The marketing for LOITV then should be guarantee of being able to watch a star game of the week, while still supporting your own club on a Friday night.
    No clubs will want to take a hit on the standalone games. At the same time it should be an investment for marketing the league.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Too be honest I blame the FAI over the years for not sorting out some form of TV contract. Has anyone in the organisation ever come up with a proposal and made an offer to any of the TV networks such as RTE, VIRGIN or SKY!

Why not hire an advertising company to produce a proposal that would include a full season package that maybe covers a weekly game plus highlights of other fixtures and present it to the networks. Instead we have RTE and now VIRGIN picking and choosing games to suit their schedule.

You could offer seperate packages for the League, FAI CUP & European competitions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Too be honest I blame the FAI over the years for not sorting out some form of TV contract. Has anyone in the organisation ever come up with a proposal and made an offer to any of the TV networks such as RTE, VIRGIN or SKY!

Why not hire an advertising company to produce a proposal that would include a full season package that maybe covers a weekly game plus highlights of other fixtures and present it to the networks. Instead we have RTE and now VIRGIN picking and choosing games to suit their schedule.

You could offer seperate packages for the League, FAI CUP & European competitions.

Am I wrong in thinking that RTE had to be strong armed into even doing a highlights package and that the LOI rights were tied to the national team rights because no one wanted them? Or was that just spin from Delaney at the time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewayspasser View Post
    I think Shamrock Rovers have a point there, but I would extend the criticism beyond not showing Rovers games to not showing any of the Irish teams in Europe. What makes it even more absurd is that there are European games on Irish free to air TV this week: On Tuesday, Virgin 2 are showing Bodo Glimt vs Red Star Belgrade, on Wednesday, Virgin 2 are showing Kyiv vs Salzburg and RTE 2 are showing Young Boys vs Galatasaray. Those are Champions League Playoffs rather than Europa League or Conference League, but still...
    I think Rovers are throwing a bit of a hissy fit, but Bodo Glimt vs Red Star Belgrade, Kyiv vs Salzburg, and Young Boys vs Galatasaray? I think the Irish public probably have a little more interest in Rovers and St Pats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    RTE will broadcast two parishes taking on each other in GAA on a Saturday evening! Generally the only people who care are the two communities involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    When Shamrock Rovers are in group/ league phase of europa/ europa conference leagues, and maybe pats will they be on tele? If premier sports have the rights would that mean they would rather show English/ Scottish teams? Just wondering. Didn’t realise premier sports had the rights to europa leagues

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    I think Rovers are throwing a bit of a hissy fit, but Bodo Glimt vs Red Star Belgrade, Kyiv vs Salzburg, and Young Boys vs Galatasaray? I think the Irish public probably have a little more interest in Rovers and St Pats.
    I think that's a contractual obligation as part of getting the group stage games though?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast