Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for Kerr and Given

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Questions for Kerr and Given

Right lads, time to channel all these doubts and worries towards the right people: Eircom and the FAI website are hosting a webchat for an hour on Saturday 4th September, with Brian Kerr and Shay Given answering questions. I'm stumped at what to ask!

Here's the address anyway:
    http://home.eircom.net/javascript/Ew...rance/chat.jsp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    That should be Sunday 4th September. While I look forward to this, I don't think its a good idea for Kerr to take it on. Judging by the comments about Kerr since the Israel match I can only imagine what he's going to be asked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think its a good idea that Kerr wants to hear what the real fans think. Im going to think of 5 really good questions for Kerr. Im not going to have a go at Kerr though. I dont think anyone should.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This is great, aye be civilised and give him some good advice; i.e tell him to read foot.ie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    What about asking Brian and Shay to encourage every Irish fan to bring a scarf to the game through the media? It would look very impressive if everyone could hold their scarf up above their head for the national anthem. Brian usually makes an effort at adressing the fans through the media before home games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    well lads can you think of any questions ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema
    ....It would look very impressive if everyone could hold their scarf up above their head for the national anthem....
    I don't think so. The English do this for GSTQ. I have a bit more respect for my national anthem.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    While I look forward to this, I don't think its a good idea for Kerr to take it on. Judging by the comments about Kerr since the Israel match I can only imagine what he's going to be asked.
    I'd imagine there'd be a moderator there, through whom the questions would pass - saves them being put on the spot awkwardly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    I don't think so. The English do this for GSTQ. I have a bit more respect for my national anthem.
    I can see where you are coming from but we have a bit more class than the English and it looked very impressive when the Portugal fans did it at euro 2004 btw how do you see it as disrespectful?

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    English fans also do a lot of other things for GSTQ I think we are unique and confident enough of having special status as Irish fans to create our own style, scarves or no scarves. I think it is a good idea ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr's tribe
    English fans also do a lot of other things for GSTQ I think we are unique and confident enough of having special status as Irish fans to create our own style, scarves or no scarves. I think it is a good idea ....
    For the last game v Italy we brought our usual flag along...big jobbie...about 20ft x 8ft. Our regular routine is to raise it over the heads of fans on the south terrace during the national anthem so that the team can see it when they turn to face the flag. Usually no problem and those surrounding us see the spirit that it intended in.

This time, the reception was far from amicable. Far fom refusing to hold up the flag, we were asked to lower it completely, move out of the way, that they cant see, this that and the other. What ****ed me off completely was the fact that these "more nationalist than thou" failed to recognise that you are supposed to face your national flag during the anthem which was 180 degrees away from their line of sight. Ruined my night anyway. Wasnt til the dodgy mic incident at half time that i relaxed after it

Im still ****ed right off about the whole thing. Next week, we'll be there with the flag again. Raising it higher this time, not to hinder anyones line of vision which once again will be behind them if they are facing their flag, but to show solidarity with the 11 men on the field which will represent our nation and in the hope that our brief gesture might stir the emotions of even one of those men to play better than hes ever done in his life before.

So bring your flags, bring your scarves and bring your celtic tops, bring whatever. Do what you feel nessesary to add to what could be one of the greatest days in Irish sporting history and fupp the begrudgers.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I went to a US qualifier last month and they had this big ass flag (I was under it somewhere):
    http://photos.matchnight.com/gallery...829SArmy%2Ejpg
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Not to sidetrack the thread but see in that picture a US flag with a union jack on it. Never thought I'd see the like.

I don't follow the USMNT that closely, but it seems to me that the one team on the planet they'd most love to beat is England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boysingreen
    Not to sidetrack the thread but see in that picture a US flag with a union jack on it. Never thought I'd see the like.

I don't follow the USMNT that closely, but it seems to me that the one team on the planet they'd most love to beat is England.
    I dont know why anyone would put a union jack with the US flag.

As for beating England, the US have done it before:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcu...00/1749379.stm
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    well lads can you think of any questions ?

How about something original like:-

"Do you think we will qualify?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour
    How about something original like:-

"Do you think we will qualify?"
    Good work tricky

and..

" Are the French team good Brian ? "

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    That should be Sunday 4th September. While I look forward to this, I don't think its a good idea for Kerr to take it on. Judging by the comments about Kerr since the Israel match I can only imagine what he's going to be asked.
    Feck - as soon as I posted the thread I went on and asked Kerr what he thought it was that allowed us to drop a 2-0 lead against Israel at home. In hindsight, I hope the moderator intercepts it; I don't want any negativity to affect Kerr's thinking for the France game than there already is!!! (but I am ever so humbly presuming he wouldn't take the opinions of one Terry Phelan to heart).

Just wanted an answer from the man himself, to a question I think he has never really addressed, or just dismissed as 6 minutes of madness. Not to crack open the whole Israel chestnut again, but I thought this psychological weakness was something that ran a bit deeper in the new 'Kerr's team' mentality...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Can we keep the thread on topic pls? What the **** does GSTQ have to do with an internet Q&A session with the Irish manager?

Terry, I think your question is a fair one. I wouldn't worry about negativity creeping in. If a Q&A forum like that is to be of any interest to the likes of us then you've got to have some probing, but fair, questions.

If I had a private audience with Brian Kerr I'd like to ask:

Exactly what role does Chris Hughton play in assisting in tactics, substitutions & selection?

Would you like to see the re-introduction of B internationals? Is it feasible?

What were the positives & negatives of the 4-5-1 we used against Italy? What alterations would you make within this shape if you were to use it again?

Do you agree that playing Damien Duff upfront is detrimental to the team?

Where do you see the long-term future of John O'Shea?

Will Liam Miller ever get his career back on track? How? Can he be a key player for us in future?

How do you think this team has progressed ON THE PITCH since WC02?

What are the current team's strengths & what instructions do you give to make sure they're played to?

Is it necessary to pick 3 'keepers every squad, especially if the 3rd spot isn't being used to blood a youngster?

If you were allowed to strengthen the team with one hypothetical "transfer", who would you buy, or at least in what position?

Is it fair to ask questions at Press Conferences such as why certain players are in or are out of the squad?

What do you say to people like Paul Doyle of The Guardian?

3 years ago, would you have been happy to have been appointed deputy manager to an experienced international manager, with a view to taking the full reigns later?

Do you ever read foot.ie? What do you think of that Stuttgart88 bloke? Who speaks most sense? Who's the biggest wnaker?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    I'd like to know if he keeps abreast of the current fan opinions of the team and management setup in the fanbase (be it internet / media / bloke in the pub) and does it affect how he picks the side, or the players in the squad.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nice one Stutgart.

As someone mentioned earlier I wouldnt like to have anyone ask a question thats negative or detrimental. We will be three days away from our biggest game since WC2002, asking questions about the 2-0 lead against Israel is totally pointless at this juncture in my opinion. (not knocking your question TP , just wonder about the timing).

If this goes well perhaps they would be encouraged to do it again - why rock the boat ? It would be nice if they were to have another discussion at the end of the campaign regardless of how it turns out where we could put that sort of question to him.

I would like to know his feelings about us having a new stadium and whether he could give us an insight as to why it is such a mess to organise. Id rather hear his view than the 'its not our fault' versions from all the other parties.

I hope he gets the 4-5-1 question as I think its a good formation.

Does he have a log in for foot.ie and other forums ?? Does he put his opinions up for a laugh and just sees what the reaction is ? (we have no chance of winning , they are a much better team..etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast