Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Thurams interview - sounds like he really wanted to come back ?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thurams interview - sounds like he really wanted to come back ?

Lilian Thuram admits his desire to succeed with France is stronger than ever after reconsidering his international retirement.

Thuram, 34, was the last of three players to announce his return to Les Bleus' squad after Claude Makelele and Zinedine Zidane performed similar U-turns.

The trio originally quit following the French side's disappointing performance at Euro 2004 which saw them bow out of the tournament to eventual champions Greece.

France are now struggling to secure their place at next summer's World Cup in Germany and currently lie fourth in their group with four fixtures still to play.

And while Thuram admits his hand was slightly forced by earlier comments from Zidane, he insists he is happy to be back in Raymond Domenech's squad.

Speaking from France's Clairefontaine base ahead of Saturday's clash with the Faroe Islands, he said: "I am not annoyed that he (Zidane) announced I would also be back but the thing is that I had not said it, I had not even decided it.

"Everyone then expected me to come back, except me.

"I felt forced. I honoured my call-up against the Ivory Coast but I did not feel at ease.

"I was not very open-minded towards the French team.

"The French team was in such a position that I could not refuse to come back.

"One year ago I would have not come back at all because at the time, that team was about to start a new chapter of its history.

"But now it would be incomprehensible not to be back. The French team is important for me.

"During the past year I really hoped that they would qualify to the World Cup so that I had nothing to blame myself for.

"Now I must say that it's preferable for me to experience that situation from the inside, with the team, rather than at home.

"And I hope we will qualify now."

Despite his initial reluctance to come to his country's aid, Thuram now realises his heart was always with the national team.

He made his initial comeback in a friendly with the Ivory Coast on August 17 and played for 21 minutes before suffering a leg injury.

"When I realised how happy I was and how content the spectators were when we scored goals I realised that playing with the national team was far stronger than playing with a club," he added.

"And that was only a friendly. This time (ahead of the qualifiers) I feel far better and I have a different approach and a more serene spirit.

"I am here for the national team. And what motivated me is the real pleasure I have when I'm on the pitch with the French national team."

While Thuram admits the physical demands of playing for France could take its toll on him, he hopes to make a positive contribution over the next four fixtures.

Despite the protests of his current employers Juventus he insists he will give 100% for France in every international game.

"I hope I will be able to keep my level high," he added.

"The only problem I see is the hectic schedule. Playing with the French team requires far more energy than playing a Serie A or a Champions League match.

"And I hope that I will have enough energy to keep doing things well.

"I know that my coach at Juventus (Fabio Capello) would rather see me make the most of my rest days rather than go and play with France."

So , he didnt want to come back and Juve dont want him playing ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,335 Posts
    He's still a top professional, you can expect a fully comitted game from him at any level, could be a reserve game, or the world cup final.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    "I must admit I was I was a bit upset when I received the invitation but then I tried to understand," Thuram said.

"Domenech is the France coach and he needs results. I must make sure he has the best possible France squad at his disposal.

"A French player cannot refuse playing for France."