Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2024

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    A 12 team PD would be good, but its the games series set up that's the problem, 33 just doesn't work, plus you could be away to bigger clubs twice in one season that you are challenging etc.

36 games right now is about just right, unless they did something like the SPL, (12 teams) then split and run to 38 games, but splits are not everyones cup of tea, not sure I`d like to see that return.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    It was horrible when it was tried but I think now there would be some effort to incentivise being top of the lower half of the split along with winning a relegation battle. I agree on the 33 games, meaning being away twice to some clubs, efforts to rotate that annually were daft. Only thing I can think its play home and away and maybe then a draw for the 3rd round? or some sort of seeding, head to head in earlier rounds?

I should have mentioned in a previous post that the sense of playing side too often in a 10 team format also has to do with schedulig and the weighting of almost 3 rounds done by midsummer. I know its to help with fiture congestion if teams progress in Europe but it seems to lack balance also.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    834 Posts
    There isn't yet enough depth in the FD for as 12 team top flight. The current Cork team would go straight back down while the rest aren't in the same parish as the 10 current PD clubs.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    There isn't yet enough depth in the FD for as 12 team top flight. The current Cork team would go straight back down while the rest aren't in the same parish as the 10 current PD clubs.
    Somebody has to get relegated though. All 3 of the most recently promoted clubs in the English Premier went straight back down agai this season after1 year, for example. So if the team who finish top of the FD can't then sustain themselves in the tier above, then so be it. That's football.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    Not to mention you'd somehow have to rustle up two new First Division clubs to avoid an eight-team second tier - perhaps Kildare and either Carlow or Mayo might eventually step up, but not aware of those clubs having any senior intentions for now (unless the third division does somehow begin in 2025)?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I'm minded of when Bart Simpson was put in the remedial class -

Expanding the Premier would help some clubs currently in the First.

But while I'm generally not in favour of a ten-team league, it's clearly the best option while we only have 20 clubs in the league and massive difficulties getting anyone else to join (and not go bankrupt while doing so)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Expanding the Premier would help some clubs currently in the First.

But while I'm generally not in favour of a ten-team league, it's clearly the best option while we only have 20 clubs in the league and massive difficulties getting anyone else to join (and not go bankrupt while doing so)
    ** Paging Irish Sea F.C, Come-in Irish Sea F.C.......**

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    ** Paging Irish Sea F.C, Come-in Irish Sea F.C.......**
    Any chance we of reviving one of the following,

Newcastle West
    Thurles Town
    Salthill Devon
    Mervue United
    St. James Gate
    Home Farm
    Monaghan United
    Transport
    St. Francis
    Kilkenny City
    Albert Rovers.........?

That's a Division of its own there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Why would you look to revive clubs who couldn't keep going in the LoI?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    I personally love the idea of watching a game in front of 30 people in Drom again.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Why would you look to revive clubs who couldn't keep going in the LoI?
    I do think the league is in a generally healthier state now, where some of those clubs could make a better fist of it, and not blow up. Maybe Monaghan with Cavan, Kilkenny with Carlow and some form of Kildare job linked with the university side will be sustainable in the long term. Same goes for the new Mayo entity. We have a lot of large population centers, far larger than a lot of current LOI clubs that definitely in theory could support professional football, but it is all wishful thinking really for now.

As long as the FAI continues to invite regional underage sides and gives them time to build up multiple age groups it will build communities, I think we will have a handful more clubs who can do a Kerry within the decade. Things are far more likely to be sustainable if they have community involvement and teams from u13-20 on the men's and women's side before pushing in to senior football. That's where you get your fanbase and volunteers and how you'll survive the difficult transition.

I'd love us to be in a position to have 24 "senior teams" making two leagues of 12, with a regionalized amateur pyramid below. Talk of a 3rd tier by the original date was so unbelievably ambitions I figured they must have had a plan and clubs in mind, but evidently not.

I think we're on the right track, but lord that Simpsons reference you mentioned rings true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    I think we will have a handful more clubs who can do a Kerry within the decade.
    I think by and large I agree with your post, but on this bit it should be noted Kerry haven't done anything that the clubs in nr637's post didn't manage either...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    You're not wrong. Their next step is as important as any that have happened before. If they start spending to chase success it could all end very badly very quickly, but with a patient approach I feel like they'll be ok, the stadium being within another stadium is very weird thou and I'm not sure how suitable the whole situation is in the long term, but I guess that comes back to facilities and investment and the bigger picture.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Missing:
    Longford v Treaty - 13th May
    Now showing as 218 on connect.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    You're not wrong. Their next step is as important as any that have happened before. If they start spending to chase success it could all end very badly very quickly, but with a patient approach I feel like they'll be ok, the stadium being within another stadium is very weird thou and I'm not sure how suitable the whole situation is in the long term, but I guess that comes back to facilities and investment and the bigger picture.
    True - though on the flip side their form is rubbish and there's only so long you can keep interest while rooted to the bottom of the table (which happened with the other clubs too). Crowds are already well off the first half of last season (which was always to be expected in fairness) and that's the way to a slippery slope. Part of the problem, as ever, is they've no lower division to go to to regroup and be successful for a while; get a bit of interest back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Our form is not rubbish. We've won our last 3 at home and we're not rooted to the bottom of the table either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I take back won last 3 at home. Ucd of course ended that run

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    I had a program stall at a football program fair a few weeks back and was told by a ex Monaghan Utd fan that I have not seen in years that the chances of Monaghan-Cavan getting in the loi 3rd tier is very strong. The appetite seems very strong up north at present. Would be good to see them back in it imo!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by listowelceltic View Post
    Our form is not rubbish. We've won our last 3 at home and we're not rooted to the bottom of the table either.
    Last and second last in the First Division in two seasons is pretty rubbish in fairness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I had a program stall at a football program fair a few weeks back and was told by a ex Monaghan Utd fan that I have not seen in years that the chances of Monaghan-Cavan getting in the loi 3rd tier is very strong. The appetite seems very strong up north at present. Would be good to see them back in it imo!
    Monaghan United might fancy the third tier but the Monaghan/Cavan underage project failed miserably.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 30 of 45 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast