Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Friendlies-choose your new players

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    His performances for us in last year were a lot worse than previously, hence my fallen off a cliff comment
    Sure, but he was playing in a poor and poorly set up team, where he continually found himself in a midfield that was overstretched and outnumbered.

I do think he's looked burnt out in recent months. He played 50 times for Burnley last season, as well as pretty much every available game for us - including meaningless friendlies, which made little sense to me.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    On Connor Ronan, I think it's fair to surmise that in the Rapid's setup he's more of a deep-lying playmaker than in an enforcer. But as has been pointed out, his numbers are good, he's a technically proficient player and he could possibly be an option for us.

As to the standard he and Gallagher are playing at, it's not absolutely ideal, but is it greatly worse than the LoI (Talbot, Byrne, Mandriou, Afolabi), Scottish Premiership (Scales, Johnston, McGrath), Eredivisie (Parrott), League One (Horgan, Knight, Hourihane, Curtis, Taylor etc) and the Belgian Pro league (Cullen)?

And I notice other mid-ranking European teams don't seem to be averse to selecting US-based players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Ronan being in MLS means he is out of sight and mind and there are concerns over the calibre of the league. Test managed to give a mention to Jon Gallagher of the MLS too, though he has beat that drum a few times so I'm wondering if they are related or something...
    Nope, just seen his name appear a lot last season, so I know he's been playing well
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    791 Posts
    Taylor's issue is that when he's on it he's brilliant, but he has a lot of games where he's completely anonymous as well. So he has an amazing highlights reel, but that only tells half the story. Obviously if he nails down a starting place at Ipswich and can show that he has added the consistency to his game, he becomes a live option very quickly.

I doubt we'll see any of the MLS lads, Ronan or Gallagher, involved. If you're not already an established Irish international when you go to the US, you're basically choosing to forego your international career for as long as you're there. Ronan isn't good enough anyway, and a decent season with one of the worst MLS teams doesn't move the needle for him. Gallagher didn't stand out at all in the SPL not too long ago, so I'd be surprised if we're missing out on much there either.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Had to wait for his chance, but has been gathering minutes since he got that chance, initially in cups but did enough to become involved in league matches. He isn't central to Ipswich but he has several recent starts, he doesn't ( or as yet hasn't ) stayed in the side. But he is non league to L1, promoted from that, got the Championship move and is currently balls deep in an EPL promotion run. I often said on here he isn't consistently A game week on week, at Peterborough that was ok, at Ipswich that sees someone else come in. But Molumby and Cullen aren't always starters either this season. Definitely worth a look I would say.

What he does offer is goal threat outside the box, none of our lads offer that.
    Another 90 minutes for him today in a good comeback win over Sunderland. Only caught about 10 minutes of it (beginning of second half) and he was well involved in that short time

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Another 90 minutes for him today in a good comeback win over Sunderland. Only caught about 10 minutes of it (beginning of second half) and he was well involved in that short time
    Yeah, had an eye on it myself, their first win in six in the league today, from behind to a side also eying promotion so a good one to have started and finished. In the winless run he was subbed on in three, subbed off late in one and wasn't involved when Leeds gave them a 4-0 coating.

So can he be this guy every week and stay in this time ? Place your bets Stu his history is against him but the coming weeks are a huge career chance.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    This was an important win for Ipswich ~ ~ There was a mini-crisis ( maybe even bigger than that ) of draws going on !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    So can he be this guy every week and stay in this time ? Place your bets Stu his history is against him but the coming weeks are a huge career chance.
    I’ll put a fiver each way Crafty.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I’ll put a fiver each way Crafty.
    Ipswich are away at Leicester next, Monday night Sky game & he should start after today. Big moments no pressure Jack, in your own time there buck a career form pattern & give us a midfield option.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    This was an important win for Ipswich ~ ~ There was a mini-crisis ( maybe even bigger than that ) of draws going on !
    Compared with the other teams around them, Ipswich are on a shoestring - McKenna has done a remarkable job, even if they don't get promoted.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Does anyone know if it’s possible to just buy tickets for one match?
    According to FAI email I have to buy a two match ticket pack which I just can’t afford at the moment

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    OK, with the squad about to be announced, I thought I'd actually answer my own question. So here are the five players I think should get serious time (notwithstanding injuries and commitment to us):

1. Jake O'Brien - playing in a defense with Tagliafico, Matic, Lovren and Caleta-Car and looking awesome!
    2. Sammie Szmodics - 21 league goals... 'nuff said
    3. Mikey Johnston - eight caps in, he's already vital to us... plus six goals in nine appearances for West Brom - he is on fire!
    4. Finn Azaz - almost went with Moran for this spot, but Azaz is a bit more advanced and is in really good form, with nine goals and six assists this season
    5. Festy Ebosele - closing in on Paddy Sloan for the title of Irishman with second most Serie A appearances. His defensive play is often lacking and he can be anonymous but when he gets a chance to run at a full-back, he just flies past. Reasonably decent crosses and has a long throw in him, as a bonus

And for a couple of runouts:
    1. Andrew Omobamidele - starting to get regular time in the Premier League now. Has seven caps under his belt but five were in 2021 - a couple of runouts would be helpful
    2. Andrew Moran - When I started this thread, was going to pick him as one of the five to get more time, as he had started so well for Blackburn. Hasn't been as effective recently, so I put in Azaz. But he's a creative midfielder who's only 20 so I would still give him a couple of appearances off the bench as he might have a real breakthrough later in 2024
    3. Will Smallbone - seems to be solid enough, even if he hasn't set the world on fire, so probably good to have him as a backup in midfield
    4. Will Keane - 12 Championship goals last season, 12 already this season, doesn't seem to be playing the full 90 all the time so his minutes per goal (152) is only 5 higher than Szmodics's. He's only played 97 minutes for us
    5. Aaron Connolly - just edges it over sounding out Cannon. Mixed form so far this season, but at least he has eight goals under his belt - nine caps, but only one since 2021 - no harm in giving him a couple of half-hour runouts

What do you guys think - who would you put in instead? Scales? Armstrong? Hodge? McAteer? And why?

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Does anyone know if it’s possible to just buy tickets for one match?
    According to FAI email I have to buy a two match ticket pack which I just can’t afford at the moment
    unless it sells out, they'll sell the second match separately once the first match is played...

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    OK, with the squad about to be announced, I thought I'd actually answer my own question. So here are the five players I think should get serious time (notwithstanding injuries and commitment to us):

1. Jake O'Brien - playing in a defense with Tagliafico, Matic, Lovren and Caleta-Car and looking awesome!
    3. Mikey Johnston - eight caps in, he's already vital to us... plus six goals in nine appearances for West Brom - he is on fire!
    4. Finn Azaz - almost went with Moran for this spot, but Azaz is a bit more advanced and is in really good form, with nine goals and six assists this season
    5. Festy Ebosele - closing in on Paddy Sloan for the title of Irishman with second most Serie A appearances. His defensive play is often lacking and he can be anonymous but when he gets a chance to run at a full-back, he just flies past. Reasonably decent crosses and has a long throw in him, as a bonus

And for a couple of runouts:
    1. Andrew Omobamidele - starting to get regular time in the Premier League now. Has seven caps under his belt but five were in 2021 - a couple of runouts would be helpful
    2. Andrew Moran - When I started this thread, was going to pick him as one of the five to get more time, as he had started so well for Blackburn. Hasn't been as effective recently, so I put in Azaz. But he's a creative midfielder who's only 20 so I would still give him a couple of appearances off the bench as he might have a real breakthrough later in 2024
    3. Will Smallbone - seems to be solid enough, even if he hasn't set the world on fire, so probably good to have him as a backup in midfield
    4. Will Keane - 12 Championship goals last season, 12 already this season, doesn't seem to be playing the full 90 all the time so his minutes per goal (152) is only 5 higher than Szmodics's. He's only played 97 minutes for us
    5. Aaron Connolly - just edges it over sounding out Cannon. Mixed form so far this season, but at least he has eight goals under his belt - nine caps, but only one since 2021 - no harm in giving him a couple of half-hour runouts

What do you guys think - who would you put in instead? Scales? Armstrong? Hodge? McAteer? And why?
    Too busy to reply but mostly right I'd say. A front 3 of Johnston-Ferguson-Ogbene could be exciting.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post

4. Finn Azaz - almost went with Moran for this spot, but Azaz is a bit more advanced and is in really good form, with nine goals and six assists this season.
    Would love to see Jake O'Brien called up. Szmodics a no-brainer. I'm not sold on Ebosele at all. And Finn Azaz unfortunately has been dropped to the bench for the last couple of Boro games. I think he's having a hard adjustment there. I'd like to see Moran get some game time and wouldnt be opposed to Alex Murphy getting a squad call up and maybe some minutes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Too busy to reply but mostly right I'd say. A front 3 of Johnston-Ferguson-Ogbene could be exciting.
    Ogbene has been playing as a wing back, not good enough to play in a front 3

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Ogbene has been playing as a wing back, not good enough to play in a front 3
    Do we have any better options ? !

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Do we have any better options ? !
    Szmodics
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Szmodics
    Build the team from the front. Szmodics has to start with Ogbene and Mikey Johnson either side of him.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Build the team from the front. Szmodics has to start with Ogbene and Mikey Johnson either side of him.
    And just like that you'd discard Ferguson?

People are fcuking hilarious
    Its really not that complicated!!!

28. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast