Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Friendlies-choose your new players

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    @strongbow & @SkStu ; any reason Jack Taylor hasn't surfaced in your midfield options trawl ?

Regular minutes & several recent starts at Ipswich, tough side to get in this season, absolutely flying in an automatic promotion spot & has x4 goals as well think. Division up from Connell & Phillips. 6ft+ & can play various roles.
    Similar Murphy and Tayo get mentioned more than Garcia McNulty whose playing LB regularly at a decent level and even Roughan whose a starter at League Oine level and only a few months older than Tayo.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    No - great shout. I just didnt remember/think of him. Maybe a very viable alternative for Molumby? I havent seen much of him this season at all. Has he been impressing?
    Had to wait for his chance, but has been gathering minutes since he got that chance, initially in cups but did enough to become involved in league matches. He isn't central to Ipswich but he has several recent starts, he doesn't ( or as yet hasn't ) stayed in the side. But he is non league to L1, promoted from that, got the Championship move and is currently balls deep in an EPL promotion run. I often said on here he isn't consistently A game week on week, at Peterborough that was ok, at Ipswich that sees someone else come in. But Molumby and Cullen aren't always starters either this season. Definitely worth a look I would say.

What he does offer is goal threat outside the box, none of our lads offer that.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Similar Murphy and Tayo get mentioned more than Garcia McNulty whose playing LB regularly at a decent level and even Roughan whose a starter at League Oine level and only a few months older than Tayo.
    I did mention Garcia McNulty and Roughan in fairness.

Jack Taylor needs to be indispensable to Ipswich before he's considered too, hes 25/26 so needs to be playing week in week out at this stage.

Mark Sykes is another to be considered.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    What he does offer is goal threat outside the box, none of our lads offer that.
    Alan Browne does a bit I think - though we keep playing him at wingback, which rather negates that...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    @strongbow & @SkStu ; any reason Jack Taylor hasn't surfaced in your midfield options trawl ?

Regular minutes & several recent starts at Ipswich, tough side to get in this season, absolutely flying in an automatic promotion spot & has x4 goals as well think. Division up from Connell & Phillips. 6ft+ & can play various roles.
    Ipswich have been slipping a bit lately. I keep an eye out for Ipswich as I have a bit of a soft spot for the Old Tractor Boys. Still in 2nd spot but form has gone down quite a bit lately.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Agreed overall. I think I would be fairly conservative too. I'd been thinking how best to respond to this post because the new manager is going to want to get results but will also have a few friendlies which, if it was a normal situation, would be used to test out new players. The new manager will very likely want to test out the current crop of players and get them used to a system or two. If I was going to take a look at viable options in the risk areas as a new manager, I would be prioritizing taking a look at Murphy, Adaramola, Azaz and Cannon, if he is interested.

At full/wing back, i would keep Coleman and Doherty starting as long as possible while using Ebosele (looking closer) and Manning as appropriate. I'd prioiritize a look at Murphy and Adaramola as part of an expanded training camp.

In midfield, I think we are stuck with the current midfield crop and hoping that a combination of Cullen/Knight/Molumby and some decent coaching can improve us incrementally until we have some real prospects there. Maybe he looks at Collins in the holding midfield role. I do not think that Hodge, Coventry, Connell (yet) or Phillips (yet) are the answer - in that they are clearly a better choice to the three we have. Azaz is, in my opinion, better than McGrath and should take his spot ahead of Moran who needs another year I think.

Up front, we're actually fairly good. Obafemi, Keane and Parrott probably ripe for the chop. Its probably Cannon or Szmodics to come in and I'd definitely continue the rehabilitation of Connolly.
    Id agree here for the most part. Think you're a bit harsh on chopping Parrott, doing ok this season and still only 21, but that also emphasizes your initial point that we are young already. I dont believe we are in massive rebuild mode like when Mick came in, its more a continuation of the rebuild that started in the last few years. Players that have been integrated are still very young and its just a matter of adding to whats there for the most part and then hope and pray that they actually improve with age.

Azaz and Moran are no brainers to come into immediate midfield options for me. Szmodics as midfielder/forward too. Taylor is interesting, he could be one of those late developers that we always seem to have.

O'Brien and McGuinness for sure raising their hand to be called in to defense, I do like Garcia McNulty but he might be a year away yet in comparison to the other 2. Full back is an area of immediate need, Ebosele and Doherty probably have the right back covered, but we might need so outside the box thinking for left back. Murphy based solely on what I seen at Galway United and in preseason for Newcastle might be best option to fast track. Adaramola was on bench today so maybe he could take a step forward too.

Up front theres no one we havent capped, bar Szmodics, that you would say are putting their hand up for selection. We've a young bunch so for me you pick Ferguson and build around him with whoever is in form. Cannon we'll see if he wants to come in, if he does hes automatically in squad ahead of most others Id say.

I do hope that the manager is appointed soon though, starting to get very bored with my own speculation of who it'll be... but the longer it goes the more I fear they are waiting for Hughton to finish African Cup of Nations. I know that would make one poster on here very happy, but I think most would be disappointed.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 04/01/2024 at 9:29 PM.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Alan Browne does a bit I think - though we keep playing him at wingback, which rather negates that...
    I see your Alan Browne and raise you a Jack Taylor thunderblaster reel Pineappler, with a few assists.

Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Ipswich have been slipping a bit lately. I keep an eye out for Ipswich as I have a bit of a soft spot for the Old Tractor Boys. Still in 2nd spot but form has gone down quite a bit lately.
    They have, no doubt have overachieved but are still comfortably ahead of Preston, Bristol and WBA where other lads of ours are.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
    Jack Taylor needs to be indispensable to Ipswich before he's considered too, hes 25/26 so needs to be playing week in week out at this stage
    I take your point, but we have a history of late developers also. And without wanting to over champion him, to be fair I have mentioned his consistency. Molumby, only a year younger, isn't indispensable to WBA. Cullen no longer is to Burnley and we picked Knight while Derby played him RWB while in L1. So lets not let on we are in a position to be choosy here as you trawl the division below for scraps of hope. He is getting on the pitch regularly, and starting more recently, he's worth a peep in a big round up for a friendly window.

The highlights reel I posted above is backed up by McKenna chasing him for three windows to get him to Ipswich. He's not Roy Keane, he's probably not even Graham Kavanagh, but in our midfield predicament he is in the conversation.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 05/01/2024 at 12:49 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Agreed overall. I think I would be fairly conservative too. I'd been thinking how best to respond to this post because the new manager is going to want to get results but will also have a few friendlies which, if it was a normal situation, would be used to test out new players. The new manager will very likely want to test out the current crop of players and get them used to a system or two. If I was going to take a look at viable options in the risk areas as a new manager, I would be prioritizing taking a look at Murphy, Adaramola, Azaz and Cannon, if he is interested.

At full/wing back, i would keep Coleman and Doherty starting as long as possible while using Ebosele (looking closer) and Manning as appropriate. I'd prioiritize a look at Murphy and Adaramola as part of an expanded training camp.

In midfield, I think we are stuck with the current midfield crop and hoping that a combination of Cullen/Knight/Molumby and some decent coaching can improve us incrementally until we have some real prospects there. Maybe he looks at Collins in the holding midfield role. I do not think that Hodge, Coventry, Connell (yet) or Phillips (yet) are the answer - in that they are clearly a better choice to the three we have. Azaz is, in my opinion, better than McGrath and should take his spot ahead of Moran who needs another year I think.

Up front, we're actually fairly good. Obafemi, Keane and Parrott probably ripe for the chop. Its probably Cannon or Szmodics to come in and I'd definitely continue the rehabilitation of Connolly.
    We’re on the same wavelength. Need to get structure and stability back into the team rather than further upheaval with new faces, and especially with the level of opposition we are facing in March. Don’t want to start off with two defeats. I know there is a want for change in the midfield but feel the performances in this area with current players will improve dramatically if the whole team becomes more compact. Also from a man management perspective, prudent to give the current squad the opportunity to show their worth. Anyways, there should be a training camp/ summer tour which is more suiting for the new manager to put his stamp on the squad.

But unless the new manager is a 3 CB guru, I’d revert to a flat back four and play a 4-3-3 in possession and 4-5-1 out of possession. Think this gets the most out of our player pool and helps give more protection to our weak areas (LB + midfield) while getting the most out of our strengths (CBs + wing speed + Ferguson). Agree with most of the names mentioned but I haven’t seen enough of Azaz to comment on him, and I’d be more inclined to move on without Connolly. Some of his recent goals admittedly do ooze class, but he’s turning 24 this month and has only “done it” for one manager/ coach so far in his career i.e. Rosenior (can possibly add Kenny here and the U21s). That just tells me he needs full backing and to be the focal to perform – which he is not going to get with us. If Obafemi gets fit and playing again – I’d maybe prefer him before Connolly. Bit on the fence with Parrott despite being a vocal supporter of him as not sure how to fit him in going forward. He has worked best as part of a front two for us – but Ferguson, who we all want on the pitch, works best when flanked by two wide players. Would be open to trying Parrot as the advanced midfielder in a 3, but otherwise he needs to show more versatility and consistently perform at (a higher) club level to motivate his squad inclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    I see your Alan Browne and raise you a Jack Taylor thunderblaster reel Pineappler, with a few assists.

Oh not trying to rain on the Taylor parade. He's in the discussion for sure. I'd share Strongbow10's concerns that he's not established himself with a decent Championship team yet. And the counter argument you made about Molumby and Cullen not getting their games and Knight being picked while in L1 are valid too.

We're basically not very good...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

We're basically not very good...
    Our midfield isnt very good and its set up perfectly for Taylor to make himself our main man if he can find a bit of consistency. That highlight reel is better than the rest of the squad put together could muster. Hes also got size which we are badly missing. Hopefully McKenna can get the best out of him, although from our point of view it would be better if they didnt get promoted just yet, he probably wouldnt get much Premiership game time.

His age doesnt bother me too much, at 26 hes played plenty of football but sometimes lads dont develop until a bit later or it may take time to find the right club situation. Townsend, Holland, Kinsella, Wes were all in their mid to late 20s before they became important midfield players for us. And now in a position of real need for us Taylor, along with Azaz and Moran, could give us a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    A lot of those clips are in League One I think - which we've already generally decided is below the standard we need. I've done up highlights reels for players and I take them with a pinch of salt!

As I say, not dismissing the guy entirely - but it says a bit that a 26-year-old with just five starts all season in his second Championship campaign (the other one ending in sound relegation) is a genuine squad contender. And as you say, there's a couple of other possibilities in that position now.

I think someone to hold the midfield together is a bigger priority at the moment though.

But again, not dismissing Taylor; he's there or thereabouts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    I agree that while he was in L1 he wasnt a realistic contender, even though a lot of those strikes go in no matter what league it is. As CTP also pointed out picking players from L1 hasnt been beneath us of late. Im also not saying hes been unfairly left out of squads to this point either though, but when we survey the landscape of whats out there that could help us improve he is a lad that stands out that has traits that we are missing and hes on an upward trajectory while others like Molumby have stagnated.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 05/01/2024 at 3:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Yep - not disagreeing with much of that alright. (At a higher level you don't get the chance to take those shots in the first place remember). Though it does back up my "We're not very good" comment you were replying to earlier I think!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Yep agree that our midfield especially isnt very good. Cullen has fallen off a cliff, Molumby treading water a bit, Browne is Browne (just grand).

But its not all bad either. Smallbone having a decent season in a team that are now pushing for promotion. Knight having a very good, if unspectacular, season at Bristol. Azaz has been excellent and earned a decent move. Moran been inconsistent but shows flashes of brilliance and Taylor getting more minutes as season goes on in a very good Ipswich team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Cullen starting tonight, and has captained Burnley at times this season.

He remains a very important player for us, and I would suggest it perhaps a little overdramatic to characterise his career as having 'fallen off a cliff'.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Baba Adeeko and Connor Ronan as potential midfield options given their form over recent months. Both generally playing at 6 too, I believe.

Time to look at different options and they must be considered to be in the shakeup.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

He remains a very important player for us, and I would suggest it perhaps a little overdramatic to characterise his career as having 'fallen off a cliff'.

Surprised no-one has mentioned Baba Adeeko and Connor Ronan as potential midfield options given their form over recent months. Both generally playing at 6 too, I believe.

Time to look at different options and they must be considered to be in the shakeup.
    Ronan being in MLS means he is out of sight and mind and there are concerns over the calibre of the league. Test managed to give a mention to Jon Gallagher of the MLS too, though he has beat that drum a few times so I'm wondering if they are related or something...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Ronan being in MLS means he is out of sight and mind and there are concerns over the calibre of the league. Test managed to give a mention to Jon Gallagher of the MLS too, though he has beat that drum a few times so I'm wondering if they are related or something...
    Is ronan playing as a 6 in mls? If he is it would be interesting to see his tackle rate

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Is ronan playing as a 6 in mls? If he is it would be interesting to see his tackle rate
    11 assists so his assist rate is decent at 1 in 3. It does look like he was playing in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

His performances for us in last year were a lot worse than previously, hence my fallen off a cliff comment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast