Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheerio FAI Cup.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheerio FAI Cup.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted. This will be a very slow end to the season if we don't maintain a challenge for the top four. Very disappointed.

I also think it's a very important time to thank the two squads and the management that gave us so much value in the cup competitions over the past two seasons.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Hard luck lads!
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlex
    Gutted. Absolutely gutted. This will be a very slow end to the season if we don't maintain a challenge for the top four. Very disappointed.

I also think it's a very important time to thank the two squads and the management that gave us so much value in the cup competitions over the past two seasons.
    Agreed. Shame it didnt happen tonight. Wasnt at the game so cant comment on chances etc.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hard luck lads, you've been excellent in cup competitions over the last two years. the good run was always going to come to an end at some stage.

I really hope you qualify for europe next season and show your true colours...
    Where you start is not as important as where you finish!!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We won cup matches over the last 2 seasons when not playing well, riding our luck, and last night we created as many chances as we ever created in a match but just couldn't put them away. It had to end somewhere I suppose. Is it now we come out with the classic "Concentrate on the league" spin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    We won cup matches over the last 2 seasons when not playing well, riding our luck, and last night we created as many chances as we ever created in a match but just couldn't put them away. It had to end somewhere I suppose. Is it now we come out with the classic "Concentrate on the league" spin?
    Exactly last night, we had so many chances and once again we could not score. Throwing away leads and then not being able to put the ball in the back of the net is our biggest problem.
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Should've been game over before they scored. Second half created so many chances and just couldn't finish. Same old story as when we had Seanie, with Myler now the guy - when they're on the pitch create fook all peno area chances, when they're on the bloody bench multiple balls across the 6 yard box.

Come on either "City" in the cups now, as if we can maintain a challenge for 3rd or 4th then we're still in with a chance of setanta and european football.

At this stage we need to finish 4th to salvage the season, regardless of any further qualifications, imo.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Oh just want to add, and definitely no sour grapes as possible UCD suffered more injuries from it than us, but the pitch in belfield was a disgrace last night. There would've been more give in Dundalks new plastic pitch than the rock hard pitch last night - never mind sprinkler systems, a couple of people with hose pipes could've improved it...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    And there can be no excuses after not putting away our chances, but the referee was an absolute disgrace again last night. Not once did Longford get a free inside the UCD half, yet UCD got numerous "soft" frees the other end.
    Sick to death of this substandard refereerng. Whats the point of all the headway the league has made in recent seasons, only for it to be ruined by farcical refereeing.
    So to sum you up there so you're blaming everyone and everything else for not winning. That's something you have been very quick to accuse Cork City of this season. Maybe we'll sell you "flynnie" or "fennie". Do you think they would score for you? The refs are terrible aren't they.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Result

Best result of the year UCD 2 Longford 1
    Best result for football,the FAI CUP, Fans all around Ireland
    and RTE's Cup Final viewing figures
    Bad result for whoever wants a handy draw in europe!
    Thanks UCD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1
    Best result of the year UCD 2 Longford 1
    Best result for football,the FAI CUP, Fans all around Ireland
    and RTE's Cup Final viewing figures
    Bad result for whoever wants a handy draw in europe!
    Thanks UCD
    How this fellas gets away with this **** stirring on every thread is beyond me! He is offering nothing atal to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

opinion

Thats my opinion!Is it not valid because you
    dont agree with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1
    Thats my opinion!Is it not valid because you
    dont agree with it?
    You're definately entitled to your opinions, but you repeat it over and over in threads in our section which have got nothing to do with the rubbish coming out of ya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Good Man Cop On

Good man cop on!
    2nd best result of the year Finding a Longford fan
    that doesnt take it personally and dare I say has a sense
    of perspective and humour

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cop on
    Read the first line again you goon. I am not blaming anyone but ourselves for last night.
    Refeering standards in this league are diabolical. But with your blinkered 'vision', I wouldn't expect you to appreciate this FACT.
    As for selling us 'Flynnie ', no thanks. He wouldn't hit a cow's ar$e with a banjo at the moment
    You and you alone amongst Longford fans is who my thoughts are with at the moment. It's a sad time isn't it?
    BTW if you can't take it, don't give it .......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm sure we're not the only ones that suffer at the hands of poor referees but sometimes you'd wonder is there some kind of agenda against us.We seem to be on the receiving end of poor decisions quite a bit lately and i'm not being paranoid.It's very annoying when you come away from a game and the idiot ref is the main talking point but what can one do?
    As regards a goal scorer IMO it's the difference between us scraping it out for 3rd or 4th or being in a title race for most of the season.With some of the so called "big clubs" struggling we should be taking advantage.We always create chances we just don't take them and it has come back to haunt us so many times this season.We have the 2nd best defensive record in the league so no problems there but to get a goal scorer i think we'll have to search outside of the EL.
    Last edited by Wiseguy; 31/08/2005 at 4:08 PM.
    "At the age of twelve, my ambition was to become a gangster. To be a wiseguy was better than being President of the United States. To be a wiseguy was to own the world." - Henry Hill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know I'll get fierce abuse for saying this but I'm actually delighted Longford are out.

Hopefully now a big club will win the cup and bring back some of the glamour it seems to have lost in recent years. Also, Longford have been a disaster in Europe and most likely won't have another chance to embarass us next year.
    Last edited by Colm; 31/08/2005 at 4:37 PM.
    Champions!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Im delighted Longford are out too...

Nothing agounst your club but Alan Matthews does not deserve to have another shot at the UEFA Cup. If he is going to send teams out to lose to Swiss 2nd division and Carmakers from Wales then the coefficient will never rise!

Only problem is now that it could be UCD in the UEFA Cup
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy
    I'm sure we're not the only ones that suffer at the hands of poor referees but sometimes you'd wonder is there some kind of agenda against us.We seem to be on the receiving end of poor decisions quite a bit lately and i'm not being paranoid.It's very annoying when you come away from a game and the idiot ref is the main talking point but what can one do?
    As regards a goal scorer IMO it's the difference between us scraping it out for 3rd or 4th or being in a title race for most of the season.With some of the so called "big clubs" struggling we should be taking advantage.We always create chances we just don't take them and it has come back to haunt us so many times this season.We have the 2nd best defensive record in the league so no problems there but to get a goal scorer i think we'll have to search outside of the EL.
    Yes I agree with both of your points. We had two good seasons marred by sickening decisions by two refs mainly. This season, it has not been a factor, so far anyway.
    Regarding a scorer, it is not just important that you get one to capitalise on your excellent defensive display. It is also important to make your style of football more attractive. I can only comment on the games ye have played against CCFC in Turners Cross over the last two seasons, and the one at Flancare around last April. In those games, especially this season, it was not pretty. Turns people off going to football matches if the attitude is to come looking for a point, when three are there for the taking.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    the great cup run was going to come an end sometime, but it is very disappointing to lose both our cups in a very short space of time. No excuses, 3rd/4th place and/or Setanta Cup/UEFA has to be the target.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast